Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintlaurie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Hi folks,

I have a 21" iMac from 2009 and we are constantly getting electric shocks from it. The aluminium case sometimes gives a shock and any chargers, etc that are plugged in will also shock.

We have always lived in a hot/humid climate with it (Saigon and Jakarta) and we have tile floors and don't really wear socks/shoes so I don't know it it can be static.

Has anybody got any advice on what I can do to stop this?

Cheers

Laurie

Nov 28, 2010
located
Are your electrical circuits grounded? I have had an iMac and also have (had) aluminium MBPs and it never happened when using a grounded electrical circuit.

saintlaurie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
This might be a really stupid question but how do I know if the electrical circuits are grounded?

It never happened in Vietnam but in the two houses I have lived in in Jakarta they have been happening.

Thanks for any help.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You buy a little outlet tester that plugs into your outlets. They have lights on them that lets you know if everything is good. Other than that, you can try another outlet or contacting an electrician to check your home's wiring.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
To the OP:
It would help if you tell us which part of the world you are living in...

saintlaurie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Got an electrician in and it was actually a faulty extension cable that was causing it.

Cheers for the replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.