Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has added two new locations to its Maps Flyover feature in iOS, including Tokyo, Japan and Zion National Park in Utah. The new additions to Flyover allow users to take a close 3D look at the areas, zooming in on buildings and landmarks.

First introduced with iOS 6 and based on technology acquired from the purchase of C3 Technologies, Flyover is now available in 88 different locations across the world.

zion_flyover.jpg
Zion National Park in Utah​
The new additions to Flyover come as Apple works to continue to improve its Maps app. Recently, users have reported significant improvements in Apple Maps data, with errors being fixed with quick turnaround and additional POI locations added in many places. Apple also made notable updates to Maps in China, Japan, and several other countries back in March.

iOS 8 is expected to bring new features to Maps, though not at release. Transit directions and other Maps improvements are in the works, but may not be available to customers until the first significant iOS 8 update, possibly iOS 8.1, in 2015. iOS 8 also includes a new "City Tours" Flyover feature hidden within the code that lets users view a city's major points of interest via Flyover, but it is not yet unlocked.

Article Link: Tokyo, Zion National Park Added to Apple Maps Flyover Feature

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Still missing many European capitals. Amsterdam & Brussels for instance.

Tokyo does look pretty cool, though.

Last edited:

joekun

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
Not all of Tokyo is included. I was disappointed to see that Itabashi-ku didn't make it. I really hope they'll be able to offer much cleaner modeling in the near future, more like what was shown in the C3 demos early on. Tokyo's buildings are so dense, and the models so sloppy that it's really hard to get a good look at anything but the larger buildings, and even then only from afar.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Why don't they just put street view back?

Google won't let them, because Apple refused to share our private data with Google. Fair enough: both companies have to defend their business, and Apple's primary business is satisfied customers, while Google's is harvesting data.

There's no ideal outcome possible from that scenario, but I do like what we've got! A great Apple Maps app (thankfully, in my region) plus a Google app if you need it (but I never do).

What a waste of resources.

How about improving the overall mapping software than working on gimmicks Apple :apple:

That was exactly my thought.... at first.

I though Street View was terrfic for figuring out super-local details like which driveway goes with which building, or which doorway goes into which business. And I thought Flyover was a super-cool gimmick that I'd play with and forget.

In reality--since my city DOES have flyover (and I know that doesn't help everyone) I use it all the time, and it does what street view used to do, only MUCH BETTER.

Street view: your view is directly at the familiar street level perspective, and will look just the way you expect when you're there in person. Nice!

But...

- Your view is often in the wrong lane, taking the "familiar" advantage away.

- It's often blurred and smeared beyond recognition, noisy, poor contrast, and obscured by lens flares, so you can't read most of the signs you need anyway.

And...

Flyover view is WAY FASTER and WAY EASIER TO NAVIGATE.

Street View is such an awful experience (including terrible desktop navigation controls). Turn... turn some more... adjust... click to move forward... wait for loading... look around... oops, went down the wrong way... turn around again... turn some more... tap back where you came from... loading delay... turn again... click again... loading delay... can't quite see what I want... try a little farther ahead... loading delay... wish I could back up just a little... but I can't, I'm stuck with nodes 40 feet apart... give up.

Compare to Flyover: you can navigate instantly and smoothly using the SAME panning/zooming controls as 2D maps. It's not a separatre, awkward mode. It just works.

And you can easlly see the lay of the land, the driveways, etc. that Street View could show you. Not perfectly, but not worse either--just different. It turns out that the human brain actually has no trouble recognizing a place from an angle 50 feet in the air.

Try this experiment: find a square block of your city, and pretend you know a restaurant is in that area, and you know what it looks like but you don't remember the name. Now take a "walk" around that block, all the way around and back, four turns, in Street View. Now try it in Flyover.

No contest. You can spot the place in a few seconds in Flyover. With Street View you will spend minutes, and that's not counting the time you need to go get a shot of whisky to survive the hassle.

So let's hope Apple KEEPS expanding flyover like this. It doesn't help nearly enough people yet.

ianray

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
@
In reality--since my city DOES have flyover (and I know that doesn't help everyone) I use it all the time, and it does what street view used to do, only MUCH BETTER.

Indeed. I use Flyover to plan urban cycling routes; it is cool to be able to pan and zoom in order to experiment with various route options :)

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Street view: your view is directly at the familiar street level perspective, and will look just the way you expect when you're there in person. Nice!

But...

- It's often blurred and smeared beyond recognition, noisy, poor contrast, and obscured by lens flares, so you can't read most of the signs you need anyway.

And...

Street View is such an awful experience (including terrible desktop navigation controls). Turn... turn some more... adjust... click to move forward... wait for loading... look around... oops, went down the wrong way... turn around again... turn some more... tap back where you came from... loading delay... turn again... click again... loading delay... can't quite see what I want... try a little farther ahead... loading delay... wish I could back up just a little... but I can't, I'm stuck with nodes 40 feet apart... give up.

Compare to Flyover: you can navigate instantly and smoothly using the SAME panning/zooming controls as 2D maps. It's not a separatre, awkward mode. It just works.

In Europe at least, lots of people have taken their homes off of street view for privacy reasons. That means you go down the street and most of it is censored on either side. It's ridiculous.

I'd take a screenshot to show you what it's like, but street view is going nuts on Yosemite's Safari. Just keeps spinning in a circle. Makes you dizzy if you watch it for too long. Here are some stories about it:

This Is How Germany Looks After the Google Street View Privacy Craze
Google Blurs Its Own Building in Germany as Street View Expands
Google abandons Street View in Germany

Indeed, street view in Germany is almost useless.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Angel's Landing is actually wrong in that picture. The actual location is the top of the ridge behind what they have indicated in the picture. Just had to point it out because I've been there. :D

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I'm a big fan of fly over. It is a fun way to re live vacations to supported destinations. That said they need to better cache the area around your view so as to reduce the popup from texture streaming.
For the people complaining that Apple is working on this, seriously don't worry about it. This is a very different talent set from traditional mapping/navigation. Nobody is being pulled from other areas of the mapping team to work on these. Apple is a huge company and has really built an impressive mapping solution in a short time. Sure they have some ways to go still, but let's be honest, the relationship with Google was preventing iOS maps for progressing. Apple had to dump Google maps if they wanted to get turn by turn directions. The upside is we quickly went from no good free navigation app (sorry Waze, but you were young back then), to having several quality options to choose from.

jgassens

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009
Google Earth has so many more cities with this same 3D gimmick. All Google has to do is integrate Earth with Maps and voila.

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Google won't let them, because Apple refused to share our private data with Google. Fair enough: both companies have to defend their business, and Apple's primary business is satisfied customers, while Google's is harvesting data.

There's no ideal outcome possible from that scenario, but I do like what we've got! A great Apple Maps app (thankfully, in my region) plus a Google app if you need it (but I never do).

That was exactly my thought.... at first.

I though Street View was terrfic for figuring out super-local details like which driveway goes with which building, or which doorway goes into which business. And I thought Flyover was a super-cool gimmick that I'd play with and forget.

But...

And...

And you can easlly see the lay of the land, the driveways, etc. that Street View could show you. Not perfectly, but not worse either--just different. It turns out that the human brain actually has no trouble recognizing a place from an angle 50 feet in the air.

Try this experiment: find a square block of your city, and pretend you know a restaurant is in that area, and you know what it looks like but you don't remember the name. Now take a "walk" around that block, all the way around and back, four turns, in Street View. Now try it in Flyover.

No contest. You can spot the place in a few seconds in Flyover. With Street View you will spend minutes, and that's not counting the time you need to go get a shot of whisky to survive the hassle.

So let's hope Apple KEEPS expanding flyover like this. It doesn't help nearly enough people yet.

Agreed. My city (Copenhagen) has had flyover from the beginning. I have used it a TON. It is by far the best way to show people a place. It is the easiest way to understand and recognize an area.

paperback

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Unfortunately, Dublin has yet to be included in any nice Flyover features, so it's pretty useless for me. Though the Maps app in general still does the job for finding most places in the city. I do say most, however: there are still quite a few locations that Apple Maps doesn't recognise but that Google Maps does. Hopefully, Apple will continue to update this app, sooner rather than later.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Apple maps is improving quite a bit...in my area. It is actually updated a lot more than Google maps...in my area.

Just last week I was using Google Maps to find this Dog Park in my area. Following it's direction and it tells me to turn left up ahead. Get to the street where I'm supposed to turn and it's a little "dirt" road (more like mud, not even a road) the ends immediately into a creek. Hmmm...yea don't think that will work Google. Turn on Apple maps and that road is actually drawn out correctly. Clearly tell that their isn't really a road there.

So right now I will continue to use Apple maps in my area. It has the newer roads and newer places actually updated while Google doesn't right now. If I go to some other area then Google maps might be better.

Silverlink

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010

Apple maps flyover simply doesn’t compare to street view, in terms of detail, apple’s 3D mode is woeful, you can’t even tell this building is a KFC using apple maps, compared to being able to see how much the original recipe bites cost, when using google street view. :p
3lxm3Qy.jpg

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
Apple maps flyover simply doesn’t compare to street view, in terms of detail, apple’s 3D mode is woeful, you can’t even tell this building is a KFC using apple maps, compared to being able to see how much the original recipe bites cost, when using google street view. :p

I can tell it's a KFC because the pin says "Kentucky Fried Chicken." :p

And who knows how old that Street View photo is - the price has likely changed since it was taken.

And am I seeing things, or did Google blur the Colonel's face on the sign on the building? :p

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC
Why a park?

Apple should have some kind of algorithm to determine which city to do next (something that takes into consideration population and percentage of iPhone users). Pick the most populous city with the most iPhone users and train all resources on that. That would be truly beneficial to the most people.

Having a national park does not benefit many. Get your priorities straight, Apple. Actually, do a flyover of my city and then you can do whatever you want.:)

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Apple should have some kind of algorithm to determine which city to do next (something that takes into consideration population and percentage of iPhone users). Pick the most populous city with the most iPhone users and train all resources on that. That would be truly beneficial to the most people.

Having a national park does not benefit many. Get your priorities straight, Apple. Actually, do a flyover of my city and then you can do whatever you want.:)

They buy the data from providers. The park was probably scanned for science reasons, and Apple bought up the data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.