Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If this is the right section, when will the Mac Guides part of Mac Rumors return? I've got some guides with updates, I'd like to post.
Thanks!

It's still being discussed what to do with them and the format of that part of the site. At this time we don't have an ETA of a decision.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
If this is the right section, when will the Mac Guides part of Mac Rumors return? I've got some guides with updates, I'd like to post.
Thanks!

Sorry about that. We are going to revisit those soon.

arn

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Hope you guys bring the guides back. I found some of them to be pretty helpful.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Don't know if it's me, but I can't log in to edit them, so it's possible they are not fully back. When I try to log in, I get a warning: Sucuri WebSite Firewall - CloudProxy - Access Denied. Could you verify status? Thanks!

Yes, Arn added extra security to various places on the forum and this was one of them. Right now no one can edit anything except him and maybe some admins.

As far as I know, the Guides are still up in the air as to what they're going to do with them.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes, Arn added extra security to various places on the forum and this was one of them. Right now no one can edit anything except him and maybe some admins.

As far as I know, the Guides are still up in the air as to what they're going to do with them.

Thanks for the quick response...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I wish you guys would make a decision one way or the other about Mac Guides. Is it that hard of a decision to make?

This one is really up to arn and I don't know where he's at on it.

I believe the code architecture is severely outdated that was running it and he was trying to find a better way to host them.

I'll try to ping him on it and see what his thoughts are.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Thanks again! :)

Sorry for the slowness of it all.

Yes, the codebase we were using for it is outdated.

My ideal solution would be to bring it under the vBulletin umbrella and convert them into a vBulletin-integrated wiki. At least that would give us one codebase to worry about. We could upgrade the wiki software in isolation, but then we'd have to continue to maintain that over time.

arn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Sorry for the slowness of it all.

Yes, the codebase we were using for it is outdated.

My ideal solution would be to bring it under the vBulletin umbrella and convert them into a vBulletin-integrated wiki. At least that would give us one codebase to worry about. We could upgrade the wiki software in isolation, but then we'd have to continue to maintain that over time.

arn

Thanks for the heads up. Would this be a difficult, drawn out proposition?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Thanks for the heads up. Would this be a difficult, drawn out proposition?

It depends. We're still looking into the feasibility of it on the vBulletin side, and there are a few other things we're working on on the vBulletin side. So depends on a few factors that haven't been determined yet.

arn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It depends. We're still looking into the feasibility of it on the vBulletin side, and there are a few other things we're working on on the vBulletin side. So depends on a few factors that haven't been determined yet.

arn

Any progress updates would be appreciated.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Wow, the MediaWiki version powering Mac Guides is outdated. By a LOT. I like the idea of integrating the guides into vBulletin, but I'm not sure if the software version we use has that capability.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I have a small suggested change to http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X. Shall I post it here (will anyone edit)? (Note: I'd be happy to edit it myself of course, but I cannot get past the firewall.)

Wow, the MediaWiki version powering Mac Guides is outdated. By a LOT. I like the idea of integrating the guides into vBulletin, but I'm not sure if the software version we use has that capability.

ya, that was the reasoning.

We have a Wiki plugin for vBulletin now. I'll deploy it for public testing soon.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.