Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After announcing plans to cease development of its professional photo editing software, Aperture, Apple is assuring users of its other professional-oriented software that it plans to continue video development with a series of new updates.

finalcutprox_dec13-800x534.jpg
Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, and MainStage Pro are all being updated today, with Final Cut Pro receiving the largest update. The update for the professional video software includes a range of new features and improvements:
- Optimized, proxy, and rendered media can be stored at any location outside of the library
- Easily delete optimized, proxy, and rendered media from within Final Cut Pro X
- Used media indicators for Compound clips, Multicam clips, and Synced clips
- Option to show only unused media in the Browser
- Apply a standard (Rec. 709) look in real time to high dynamic range and wide color gamut video from ARRI, Blackmagic Design, Canon, and Sony cameras
- Automatically apply an ARRI embedded 3D LUT from the new AMIRA camera
- Support for Apple ProRes 4444 XQ
- Improved speed and accuracy when synchronizing clips
- Audio recording improvements including countdown and automatic Audition creation from multiple takes
- Fast export of cuts-only projects containing XDCAM media
- Export entire library as a single XML file
- Selecting a library displays key metadata in the Inspector
- Adjust relative and absolute volume of a clip or range selection
- Create Keywords from Finder Tags when importing media
- Option to sort events by date or name in the Libraries list
- Import a clip by dragging directly into the Browser
- Share 4K video to Vimeo
The other apps have gained minor improvements, such as support for Apple ProRes 4444 XQ in both Motion and Compressor along with improved sequence text behavior in Motion and improved performance in Compressor.

All of the apps are available from the App Store, with Final Cut Pro priced at $299, and Motion and Compressor priced at $50. According to TechCrunch, a MainStage update is also coming later today.

- Final Cut Pro [Direct Link]
- Motion [Direct Link]
- Compressor [Direct Link]

Update 11:46 AM: The MainStage 3.0.4 update is now live, addressing several bugs.

Article Link: Apple's Professional Video Apps Final Cut Pro, Motion, and Compressor Updated

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
Cannot blame them for wanting to make sure people know the other apps are still okay, considering the Aperture backlash!

Great updates :)

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
This should be a pretty clear hint that while Aperture is dead, as also announced today, not all Pro apps will follow.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Woohoo! Keep it coming! I was just at an Apple educator's conference yesterday featuring FCPX and Logic. Adding the Library to FCPX in the last update was huge for streamlining workflow and portability. It looks like Apple is continuing in that vein. Regarding the upload of 4K video to Vimeo: who's got that kind of bandwidth?

BTW, one of the Apple techs at the conference was talking about how excited he was for the next update of Aperture. I think he's just a bit less excited today.

Edit: BTW, for those who think no one uses FC -- at that same conference, the Apple tech mentioned that it now has an installed user base of 1.7 million.

Last edited:

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
But Apple move on Aperture is just scary, remember during FCP7 days when people are wondering if Apple will drop development or continue?

I'm like sooooo sad that Apple is discontinuing Aperture, they can do sooo much more with it especially with iPad integration and such.

To me, Apple lineup looks odd now when it come to software

Video:
FCPX (professional)
iMovie (consumer)

Audio:
LogicProX (professional)
GarageBand (consumer)

Photos
RIPaperturex
Photos (professional and consumer)

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Whoah they still update Motion?

They better. Motion is pretty much my bread and butter software as a motion graphics designer. I use After Effects sometimes but Motion most of the time. And I just bought the mObject add-on that allows me to create textured 3D objects within Motion that react to lights and cameras. So when I read the article about Aperture, I got a little nervous until I read this.

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
To me, Apple lineup looks odd now when it come to software

Video:
FCPX (professional)
iMovie (consumer)

Audio:
LogicProX (professional)
GarageBand (consumer)

Photos
RIPaperturex
Photos (professional and consumer)

Wait is FCPX now considered professional software? I haven't kept up but I know it was trashed at first release because it wasn't professional at all.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Wait is FCPX now considered professional software? I haven't kept up but I know it was trashed at first release because it wasn't professional at all.

You're right. You haven't kept up. Most of the features people complained about missing are back in and the rest was just people getting used to the new interface. I use it to make my living so that makes it a professional program for me.

chocolaterabbit

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
Personally I think Aperture's been dead for a long time. It just couldn't compete with Lightroom especially when its integration with Photoshop is unbeatable. Without making their own pro image editor Apple just could not compete.

FCP is not in the same boat as it's its own suite of tools and clearly Apple's invested in it by doing the FCP X rewrite.It's not going anywhere.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
ok. no mention of "addressed replicate-able gpu-related kernel panics in mid-2010 mbp's w/ gt330m dGPU" :(

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
ok. no mention of "addressed replicate-able gpu-related kernel panics in mid-2010 mbp's w/ gt330m dGPU" :(
That sounds like a hardware or driver problem. It might be triggered by FCP X, but if hardware and kernel/drivers are functioning correctly, an application cannot cause kernel panics.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
....BTW, one of the Apple techs at the conference was talking about how excited he was for the next update of Aperture. I think he's just a bit less excited today.

That seems like a serious downer, as in they had a serious update coming but decided to kill the product off prior to that getting to release....wonder what was coming.

Anyone else relying on the pro applications should always have backup plans thought out - Apple isn't a software developer, they're a hardware company and nowadays a iThingy hardware company.

Aiwaz418

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
Burbank, CA
Ugh, no.

I personally dumped it, and none of the people I work with or know in film and television use X - it's hobbled tech, and not suitable for professional productions. Most stick with FCP7 or moved to Avid.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Ugh, no.

I personally dumped it, and none of the people I work with or know in film and television use X - it's hobbled tech, and not suitable for professional productions. Most stick with FCP7 or moved to Avid.

Hahahaha....Really?????

http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/in-action/

This kills me every time I read it.

I've used it for mainstream music videos, and currently edit a kids TV show with it.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
That sounds like a hardware or driver problem. It might be triggered by FCP X, but if hardware and kernel/drivers are functioning correctly, an application cannot cause kernel panics.

yeah. i figured that too. maybe apple can send a video patch specifically for mid-2010 MBP's w/ GT330M dGPU. a software patch is my only hope since i can't afford a logic board replacement. and i'm also weary of getting my logic board replace for some reason b/c of gpu-related KP's which are usually 99% of the time software-related. i mean, if my MBP has a bad dGPU, the screen would be garbled, or have artifacts, right? my MBP is fine except of random KP's with the same gpu-related panics from the log using it casually and replicate-able KP's when using pro apps like FCP X....

oh well.....

maybe it's something to do with open cl/open gl interacting w/ GT330m dGPU? i think my dGPU is only compatible with the older versions of open cl and open gl, even though it's only two generations away in terms of MBP's w/ dGPU's ( Nvidia GT330M -> AMD 6570M - > NVIDIA 650M (750m in new retina's is same as 650M i think architecturally))

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
That's a common problem with Mid 2010 MacBooks Pro. In other words, your Mac's NVIDIA GPU is damaged ;).

but i am not getting garbled video or discoloration or even artifacts. wouldn't those symptoms be more like an obvious damage to dGPU instead of just KP's?

i'm saying just KP's b/c my MBP after reboot can function again.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Hopefully another Logic update soon, the last one had a ton of improvements but there are still a number of high profile bugs including a couple new ones introduced in the last update.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Anyone else relying on the pro applications should always have backup plans thought out...

Users of any app should consider that someday it may stop getting updated. Dropping support for an app isn't specific to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.