Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Adobe has responded to Apple's announcement that it is ending development of its Aperture professional photo editing and management app for OS X by promising to "double down" on Lightroom, there are other players in the market. Corel is one of those competitors, and the company is hoping to attract some current Aperture users to switch to its AfterShot Pro 2 software launched last month.

AfterShot Pro 2 is normally priced at $79.99, but Aperture (and Lightroom) users qualify for special $59.99 competitive upgrade pricing. The offer was announced as a limited time promotion alongside the debut of AfterShot Pro 2, but with Apple's announcement today Corel is reminding users that it remains in effect. In addition, Corel notes that it will be looking at additional ways to help Aperture users migrate to AfterShot Pro 2.
Launched last month, the new AfterShot Pro 2 offers competitive upgrade pricing ($59) to Aperture users. We're getting ready for Yosemite now and unlike Lightroom, AfterShot Pro already supports use of a more Aperture-like file system to manage your photos. In the coming weeks, we'll be looking for more ways we can make the transition easy for Aperture users and you can expect to see more from us with AfterShot on the Mac in the near future.
Corel promotes AfterShot Pro 2 as significantly faster than competing photo editing and management apps, with a host of advanced non-destructive editing features and pricing on par with Aperture and significantly lower than Lightroom.

Article Link: Corel Looking to Attract Aperture Users to AfterShot Pro 2 With $59 Pricing, Easy Migration

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Corel is still in business? I honestly thought they had folded up shop. I know just one person who uses Word Perfect, and it's a really old version. But I don't know anyone else who uses any of their software. I checked their website and was surprised to find that they bought WinZip.

cymerc

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
All I could see in that video was "[HDR editing] coming soon for Mac and Linux".

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
With Aperture being left behind, the money vultures are coming out of the woodwork. Is a big piece of business for Apple to leave behind though.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Corel is still in business? I honestly thought they had folded up shop. I know just one person who uses Word Perfect, and it's a really old version. But I don't know anyone else who uses any of their software. I checked their website and was surprised to find that they bought WinZip.

They also bought Roxio from Rovi and Pinnacle Studio from Avid a couple of years ago.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013

Word Perfect has always astonished me in that it managed to remain only slightly better than Microsoft Works for all those years...

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA

I have several users (professors) that swear by Word Perfect. Given the way even word 2013 will choke on large complex documents I'm not sure I blame them.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
They also bought Roxio from Rovi and Pinnacle Studio from Avid a couple of years ago.

BTW, Dantz = Retrospect (software) sold itself to EMC, EMC sold Retrospect to Roxio (part of Sonic Solutions), Sonic Solutions was acquired by Rovi, and finally the Retrospect team bought out and founded Retrospect Inc.

So, Retrospect never went to Corel, if anybody ever got confused.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Obi-Wan: [thoughtfully] Corel. Corel... Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.
Luke: I think my uncle knows it. He said it was dead.
Obi-Wan: Oh, its not dead... Not yet.
Luke: You know it?
Obi-Wan: But of course I know it. I have a floppy disc copy.
[R2 beeps in surprise]
Obi-Wan: I haven't heard the name of Corel since... oh, before you were born.

Yep I thought Corel was gone. A blast from the past. Remember using it and owning the brick thick user manuals.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Word Perfect has always astonished me in that it managed to remain only slightly better than Microsoft Works for all those years...

In the days when I used Word Perfect, I preferred it over Microsoft Word, because "reveal codes" let me get under the hood and see exactly why the formatting was not being applied the way I expected it to be.

Microsoft Word had ways to reveal part of it, but at the time, Word Perfect was more straightforward.

I never used WordStar, but I did use TeX, and Word Perfect at least gave me some of the control I was used to.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
After FCP, mobile me and iWork, this is another example of why apple products should not be used for business.

Apple has abandoned the pro market and is solely focused on short-term consumer interest.

I always used a mac for the software, but now I may as well purchase a PC.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Do something cool Corel.
You too Pixelmator.

I just want to store our image library on a server and have multiple artists reading and writing to it simultaneously. Adobe just can't finger it out... ridiculous. Keep it simple.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Like vultures from the sky all these photo editing software companies are swooping down at prospective Aperture-abandoners... :D Time to keep an eye out on the photo editing section of the App store for impending sales!!

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Just a note

I liked Corel, however many of their apps these days have phone home activation software installed (Google it with Corel) and if it gets messed up you get locked out of your program.

Something to be aware of with Corel software (wish they didn't do that).

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I liked Corel, however many of their apps these days have phone home activation software installed (Google it with Corel) and if it gets messed up you get locked out of your program.

Something to be aware of with Corel software (wish they didn't do that).

I ponder what would happen to the industry if Apple gave an option to disallow data use per app on OS X like you can on iOS.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Interesting Aperture is #4 Grossing App Store

The sharks are indeed circling.

Noticed that Aperture is listed as #4 Top Grossing app in the App Store.

Seems odd to be dumping it.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I doubt very many pros (or even advanced amateurs) are going to want to trust Corel with their photos. With Apple covering the lower end with Photos, I don't see why many would choose this app in-between that and Lightroom/Capture One/Bibble/DXO/etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.