Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
1. What will happen if you attempt to playback 4K video on a iMac since it does not have a 4K display? Will it just play very large/zoomed in?

2. Anyone know if the Quicktime player on a Mac will play back 4K video?

3. I have a new 2013 iMac (highest end) and use Premiere CS6. Anyone know if this setup will be able to edit 4K video from a Sony FDR-AX100 camera? It currently has the minimum amount of RAM though I'm going to max it out.

Thanks!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
1. What will happen if you attempt to playback 4K video on a iMac since it does not have a 4K display? Will it just play very large/zoomed in?

3. I have a new 2013 iMac (highest end) and use Premiere CS6. Anyone know if this setup will be able to edit 4K video from a Sony FDR-AX100 camera? It currently has the minimum amount of RAM though I'm going to max it out.

Thanks!

It'll try to fit into the iMac's screen, just that things may look a bit mushier. Same logic as how you try to play a 1920x1080 video on a 13" cMBP (which has a 1280x800 screen).

For 4K video editing, you should have at least an i7 processor with a minimum of 16GB RAM, and a pure SSD as well, plus at least a GTX775M GPU.

Myself, I have a 3.5GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD and 4GB 780M setup, and it handles 4K video quietly and fast.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014

Thanks!

1. It will just scale down to whatever fits on the screen. You can adjust it too by dragging the frame corner up and down in quicktime/quick look/etc. So on a 27" imac you can play it full screen in 2.5k (the iMac's highest supported res). Actually, it'll look "sharper" but you'll lose a lot of details because of the physical lack of pixels.

2. Not sure on that one.

3. You should be fine. Just make sure your RAM is maxed out and you're on an SSD. Hard drives don't cut it anymore in 2014

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.