Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eeclipse16

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Am I doing something wrong with my external SSD setup? I thought it would be faster then it is right now. Im not to knowledgeable about SATA I, II, III and eSATA but im thinking I might have got the wrong (slower) enclosure. I know you never get to close to the manufacturers specs but im 5x slower on the read and 3.5x slower on the write. I want to stick with USB 3.0 because thunderbolt setup after enclosure and cable would be almost the price of another SSD.

Here is the enclosure im using

http://www.sabrent.com/category/hard-drive-enclosures/EC-3025/

Take advantage of the lightening speed of USB 3.0 to quickly transfer files up to 5 Gbps! Connect any 2.5″ Serial ATA (SATA) or SATA II Hard Drive to your computer through an available USB 3.0 port on your desktop or laptop. It is constructed from durable aluminum, to ensure heat dissipation. Transfer data quickly and easily, anywhere, with this great external hard drive case. This enclosure allows you to connect your SATA HDD to USB 1.1, 2.0. or 3.0.

With this Samsung SSD

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7PD128BW

Type
840 PRO Series
Storage
Capacity: 128GB
Features
Sequential Read Speed: Up to 530MB/s
Features
Sequential Write Speed: Up to 390MB/s

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

spartacvs

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
Just guessing here but that enclosure looks like it doesn't support SATA III only I and II. Another reason is because you're using it as an external drive and not as an internal drive.

eeclipse16

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Just guessing here but that enclosure looks like it doesn't support SATA III only I and II. Another reason is because you're using it as an external drive and not as an internal drive.

Thank you for your reply and that's what my uneducated guess was something to do with the sata. As for the external drive part I was expecting that but I have seen some people getting in the 250 mb/s range and was hoping to be around there also.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
No idea what's causing it, if it's not the enclosure. Right now, it looks like professional and consumer USB 3.0 storage solutions aren't coming anywhere near the 500-650MB/s advertised speeds of the new USB spec.

But that Samsung 840 Pro should be redlining the benchmark utility. It's currently the fastest SSD money can buy.

By the way, running repeatedly benchmarks on your SSD isn't very healthy for it.

eeclipse16

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

If I end up keeping it all just return the SIIG and go back to the Sabrent because its $25 cheaper and does the same speed.

scenox

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
Try to use a different USB cable. The USB 3.0 spec considers it reasonable to achieve 3.2 Gbit/s (400 MB/s) in practice.

Nov 28, 2010
located
By the way, running repeatedly benchmarks on your SSD isn't very healthy for it.

Normally modern SSDs have a theoretical write/read limit of 10,000 to 100,000 cycles (P/E cycles), meaning if you had a 64 GB SSD and its cycle limit would be 10,000, you would have to write 625 TB to it, which would be 351 GB per day everyday for the next five years. Assuming those numbers vary and it would only be a tenth of that, it would still mean 35 GB per day for five years, which under normal usage no average computer consumer does, not even with temporary files.

mandy2tom

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2014
SSD slow fixed

I had the same problem on 27" iMac fusion with my Lacie 256 SSD thunderbolt and usb3

OSX 10.9.3 disk utility wont let you zero out SSD UNLESS you first encrypt the drive then it will, and that fixed corrupted SSD

my write speeds had dropped to 21mb/sec

now i'm back to 300+mb/sec write time, and around 400+mb/sec read
I'm pretty sure I corrupted it when I accidentally unplugged it while booted from it
anyway all good now!

So zeroing out the drive fixed mine.

just reformatting wont work, you have to write zero's to the drive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.