Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v2club

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
Every time I open my MBP it automatically connects to the Wi-Fi and since it's been a long time I have no idea what was the password. It's very easy to see it on W7, but I have no idea how to do it on Mac OS. Any ideas?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you've elected to store network passwords in Keychain:
  1. /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app
  2. At the top, search for the name of your network
  3. That should locate the network password entry stored in Keychain
  4. Double-click that entry and click the "Show password" box
  5. Enter your Mac's admin password
  6. Your network password should appear

MiniMi

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2011
You could also just look at what it is on your Win7 machine. Your home network password will be the same no matter what system you are using

v2club

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011

Thanks man, that is the solution I was looking for!

----------

Log into your router (wired, if you have to) and you can find the password in the settings.

I have no idea how to log into my router

----------

You could also just look at what it is on your Win7 machine. Your home network password will be the same no matter what system you are using

That's not the point!

SplicedBanjo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I have no idea how to log into my router

Then how did you set a password in the first place?

We can't give you the specifics without knowing the model, but you should probably just look in the manual (or find a PDF of the manual).

Usually you just type the router's local IP address into your browser and log in.

The administrator password can be different from the password to log into the WiFi. Again, you'll need to check the router manual for the default administrator password. If it has been changed to something you can't figure out, most routers have some sort of "hard reset" you can do.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Then how did you set a password in the first place?
I can't speak for the OP, but many users have someone else set up their router for them, so they wouldn't have a clue how to log in and change the password. It appears the OP found their answer, without needing to access the router.

Jack9034

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2011

Do you work for MacRumors because you are here every day. Don't you have a job or something???

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Do you work for MacRumors because you are here every day. Don't you have a job or something???
LOL. I have my own business and have complete control over my time. No, I don't work for MR. Only arn, the site owner and Doctor Q work for MR (AFAIK). The rest of us are volunteers.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
It appears the OP found their answer, without needing to access the router.
It's always good to know how your own equipment works, just in case there's a problem that requires more effort to fix than just staring at the router in frustration then you won't be completely helpless.

Routers often have other bits and knobs in their menus to twiddle that can improve performance and/or security, so from that perspective it's also good to know how to access all of that and what they mean.

Umber to

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2013

Number 4. Double click the entry?

Which one is my wi fi? I have no airport line, only Skype, Evernote, etc. Other names for which one has my wi fi password? What would it be called? I have about 50 lines. Chromesafestorage was not it. Apple ID auth was not it. What would it be called?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Marsontherocks

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2007
Living in Denmark at the moment
Number 4. Double click the entry?

Which one is my wi fi? I have no airport line, only Skype, Evernote, etc. Other names for which one has my wi fi password? What would it be called? I have about 50 lines. Chromesafestorage was not it. Apple ID auth was not it. What would it be called?

Thanks in advance.

It is called what ever your WiFi connection is called. If you click the WiFi symbol up in the top of the screen, what is the name of the network you are connected to? Let's say it's "My Wi-Fi". You then search for "My Wi-Fi" (without the ") in the search field in the Keychain app. And then the long list should only show the name of your Wi-Fi network. Double click that entry. Meaning, double click the search result that matches your Wi-Fi name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.