Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
So I just bought the MacBook Pro a week ago and yellow tint is very noticeable. So I read in this forum and changed the Target White Point to 8000 and it looks a little better now. The only problem left is when I watch videos... youtube video for example the yellow tint is very noticeable. Check the pictures.. how can I fix it?

Edited: Pictures added. My new 13" Late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina on the left and My 13" 2011 Macbook Air on the right. Look at the hands in the music video. Retina screen so yellow and it doesn't look natural at all. By the way Target White Point was already set to 8000 on my Retina Screen.

Attachments

• 20140622_145411.jpg
    20140622_145411.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 714
  • 20140622_130327.jpg
    20140622_130327.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 464
Last edited:

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Are you near an Apple store? It's still returnable, exchange it and let them fix it.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So I just bought the MacBook Pro a week ago and yellow tint is very noticeable. So I read in this forum and changed the Target White Point to 8000 and it looks a little better now. The only problem left is when I watch videos... youtube video for example the yellow tint is so noticeable. Check the pictures.. how can I fix it?

It can be exchanged or repaired with a new display. Some displays are warmer but it is up to you on your expectations...

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
Edited: Pictures added. My new 13" Late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina on the left and My 13" 2011 Macbook Air on the right. Look at the hands in the music video. Retina screen so yellow and it doesn't look natural at all. By the way Target White Point was already set to 8000 on my Retina Screen.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I would have never expected that big of a difference in any side by side.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
I bought it from bestbuy but i already setup an appointment with apple store. Do you think apple store will exchange it for me since i bought it from bestbuy?

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
I bought it from bestbuy but i already setup an appointment with apple store. Do you think apple store will exchange it for me since i bought it from bestbuy?

It's a warranty problem, so they would send it out for repairs. I would personally return it at Best Buy since you should still be in the return window. Once you're out of that return window, Best Buy can no longer do anything for you unless you bought one of their warranties.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
It's a warranty problem, so they would send it out for repairs. I would personally return it at Best Buy since you should still be in the return window. Once you're out of that return window, Best Buy can no longer do anything for you unless you bought one of their warranties.

oh i thought they can give me the new unit right away.

by the way the yellow tint on my MacBook Pro is so obvious right? I hope they will not try to say "its normal" when i go to genius bar.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
oh i thought they can give me the new unit right away.

by the way the yellow tint on my MacBook Pro is so obvious right? I hope they will not try to say "its normal" when i go to genius bar.

Oh yeah I def see it! And MacBooks aren't like iPhones. It's cheaper for them to replace an iPhone than it is a MacBook due to a warranty issue lol

BlueXIII

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2014
Is this yellow tint something I should expect when I buy one? Getting ready to buy my first and it seems like there are a lot of complaints about the retinas having yellow tints in the screen. Not sure I want to spend 2 grand on something with a bunk display.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Is this yellow tint something I should expect when I buy one? Getting ready to buy my first and it seems like there are a lot of complaints about the retinas having yellow tints in the screen. Not sure I want to spend 2 grand on something with a bunk display.

The vast majority of Macbook pros will have perfect screens. The only reason there seems to be a lot of noise about yellow screens etc is that people who are happy with their computer don't go on forums and complain about it.

However, should you receive a product that you are unhappy with, Apple will exchange it for a satisfactory one, or offer to repair the one you have.

----------

Have you checked this with actual calibrated colour charts?

ie, are you sure that it's not that your Air's screen is desaturated and you're just used to it?

For example, something like this:

http://www.ndimitrov.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Linoart_test_chart_AdobeRGB.jpg

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
Have you checked this with actual calibrated colour charts?

ie, are you sure that it's not that your Air's screen is desaturated and you're just used to it?

For example, something like this:

http://www.ndimitrov.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Linoart_test_chart_AdobeRGB.jpg

The Air screen is fine. Never calibrated and it came out of the box like that.

Did you check the pictures in the first post? The retina screen looks like that person has a Hepatitis because the skin is so yellow. it is not natural at all.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Maybe the person in the video has hepatitis ;)

OK lets be serious. I don't think there is a fix for your issue. You either have to return your machine (to the vendor usually!) or have it repaired. I don't think Apple will exchange your machine since you didn't buy it there.

Btw, would you mind sharing the movie? I'd like to compare how it looks on my screen.

slo-climber

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2013
I have 15" rMBP (late 2013) and here is a screenshot of the same video at the same time. I think it is quite similar to your rMBP.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
The vast majority of Macbook pros will have perfect screens. The only reason there seems to be a lot of noise about yellow screens etc is that people who are happy with their computer don't go on forums and complain about it.

The vast majority of buyers are color blind or do anything that requires color accuracy. Heck, a lot of users buy rMBPs for gaming via bootcamp. The minority of users who are capable to recognize the color uniformity issue usually cite image editing jargon and issues that ordinary user aren't aware or would never note, but the issue exists in all rMBPs I've seen.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I have 15" rMBP (late 2013) and here is a screenshot of the same video at the same time. I think it is quite similar to your rMBP.

[url=http://shrani.si/t/1p/5d/N4bqygh/screenshot-2014-06-23-20.jpg]Image[/url]

Uhm you would have to take a photo of the screen...

Then the next problem is that by looking at the pictures on a screen, how they look like depends on the screen... so the OP did the best possible thing by comparing two machines side by side.

Here is my 13'' rMBP, photos taken with a Nexus 4 (cameras also mess around with pictures unfortunately). While I also have a more yellowish overall colour (my previous high-res matte MBP had the same!), I don't feel like I have the same extreme hepatitis look. Just a lower temperature (6500) that I could adjust in principle I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_20140623_123502.jpg
    IMG_20140623_123502.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20140623_123428.jpg
    IMG_20140623_123428.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 127

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
Maybe the person in the video has hepatitis ;)

OK lets be serious. I don't think there is a fix for your issue. You either have to return your machine (to the vendor usually!) or have it repaired. I don't think Apple will exchange your machine since you didn't buy it there.

Btw, would you mind sharing the movie? I'd like to compare how it looks on my screen.

go on youtube and search for "eminem - headlights" music video

----------

Uhm you would have to take a photo of the screen...

Then the next problem is that by looking at the pictures on a screen, how they look like depends on the screen... so the OP did the best possible thing by comparing two machines side by side.

Here is my 13'' rMBP, photos taken with a Nexus 4 (cameras also mess around with pictures unfortunately). While I also have a more yellowish overall colour (my previous high-res matte MBP had the same!), I don't feel like I have the same extreme hepatitis look. Just a lower temperature (6500) that I could adjust in principle I guess.

Yours looks ok.. You are very lucky

St.Icon

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2014
Yours looks ok.. You are very lucky

His looks just like yours. You're obsessing over a non-issue, and handling it in the worst way possible.

Take it back to Best Buy if you want a replacement. Because Apple isn't going to give you a replacement - at best they'll offer a repair. :rolleyes:

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
The Air screen is fine. Never calibrated and it came out of the box like that.

Did you check the pictures in the first post? The retina screen looks like that person has a Hepatitis because the skin is so yellow. it is not natural at all.

Right, but it was taken with an auto-white-balancing camera in a dark room with two dissimilar colour temperature objects in the frame.

The rMBP might have the correct calibration, and the video might actually have a yellow tone, or it could be as the OP said and the rMBP's screen has a yellow cast.

The reason you use colour charts is to rule this sort of thing out. From that image alone it's not possible to tell.

----------

The vast majority of buyers are color blind or do anything that requires color accuracy. Heck, a lot of users buy rMBPs for gaming via bootcamp. The minority of users who are capable to recognize the color uniformity issue usually cite image editing jargon and issues that ordinary user aren't aware or would never note, but the issue exists in all rMBPs I've seen.

Wow. Arrogant much?

Yeah, that's it. Every MBP in existence has a terrible screen but because not everyone is a photo editor they are "colour blind".

Yeah, far more likely that the vast majority of people who own MBPs have the exact same colour recognition deficit than it is that the majority of MBP screens are actually as specified in the technical specs.

*eyeroll*

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
went to Apple store and check all of their retina MBPs demo laptops ... they all have yellow tint when i tested that same music video. I think it's normal for rMBP screens.

Reactions: ressac

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
went to Apple store and check all of their retina MBPs demo laptops ... they all have yellow tint when i tested that same music video. I think it's normal for rMBP screens.

They are warmer in general compared to the older macbook pros. Pretty much all macbook pros since the switch to LED backlighting were way too cold. These are actually closer to a typical D65, although yours still looked yellow to me. The things that could cause that would be that it really is too warm, or more likely that it's the appropriate temperature at the brightest values and simply doesn't track well. An appropriately balanced display will however look yellow compared to a cMBP or Air. If I place the macbook pro next to a truly well calibrated display, guess which one will look yellow. I just didn't recall the difference being that great, which is why I thought you had a bad unit.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
So I just bought the MacBook Pro a week ago and yellow tint is very noticeable. So I read in this forum and changed the Target White Point to 8000 and it looks a little better now. The only problem left is when I watch videos... youtube video for example the yellow tint is very noticeable. Check the pictures.. how can I fix it?

I don't see anything wrong with the Retina display. Infact I prefer it with the yellow push because the colors look more vibrant to me compared to the right macbook pro which looks to have more of a blue push to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.