Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Here's something a bit strange that I didn't notice before. I have both 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi networks in my house. I like to use the 2.4 band for my iPhone and the 5G band for my mac.

When my iPhone reconnects it chooses the 5G because I have that set on my Mac. OK, so I forget the 5G band on the iPhone and connect to 2.4G band. Later when I open my Mac and connect it chooses the 2.4G band. So I go and choose the 5G band and it asks for a password.

Is there a reason why the wifi settings are syncing between the iPhone and Mac? If so can I turn that off.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I have the same network setup, but leave every device that supports it on the 5GHz network (as it's setup as n and is faster).

I suspect your passwords are being synced via iCloud Keychain. Unfortunately, you can't manually tell it not to remember WiFi passwords, so the only solution is to turn iCloud Keychain off on either your Mac or iPhone.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I have the same network setup, but leave every device that supports it on the 5GHz network (as it's setup as n and is faster).

I suspect your passwords are being synced via iCloud Keychain. Unfortunately, you can't manually tell it not to remember WiFi passwords, so the only solution is to turn iCloud Keychain off on either your Mac or iPhone.

Yeah that's probably it. Its strange that on the Mac under Settings->Network->Advanced I see all the wifi networks used on the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.