Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1234dumdum

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
'Download not completed problem' - Gameranger!!

I wanna play online aoe 2 on mac and i used gameranger when i was playin on a pc.

now i have a mac and when i download GR it says above title......

please help!!

Andreas123

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2011
Graphical problems

Hello

I've been having some graphical problems for AoEII for mac lately, i have the newest update installed and everything else is working perfectly, but the game appears very pixelated, especially at the main menu and at the tech tree, and sometimes at in-game icons as well.

What could be wrong? and how do i get it show the game like it was before?

(Forcing 256 colors just screws up the introduction movies and nothing else)

Andreas123

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2011
Still not anybody here willing to help out?

On-side information: It seems like the problem keeps getting worse and worse every time i start up the game. The lower-right part of the big banner at the top of the main menu is for some reason colored purple using enlarged pixels, if that can help in any way:confused:

Honor3

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
Australiaaaah
If people are still having problems getting past the "No-CD" I will make a video to show you exactly how to by-pass this. Explaining by words confuses most people even if it is the simplest.

But if no one has this issue anymore then there is no need.

My Regards,

BeachsideHades

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
AOE II Gold asking for Disk

I have recently installed AOE II Gold on my MacBook Pro. I have also ran all the required updates/patches as well. When I go to start the game I get the Options screen click play. Then it asks me to insert a disk. Any ideas on what is causing this?

Bosdavid

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
Rotterdam
Same issue

First, I would like to say that this post was instrumental in getting me to the point that I am at, so thanks to everyone who offered advice (I had the same Drawsprocket problem). Now, though, I'm afraid I have a different problem...

I installed Age of Empires II for Mac on my Macbook (10.5.8) today, and I downloaded and installed the 1.0.6 patch to enable it to run, but while that allowed the game to start, I still cannot even get to the main game menu. Whenever I launch the game, after the introductory movie, the game turns off and states (multiple times) that "A required file could not be found. Please re-install Age of Empires II." I re-installed it (and the patch), but this did not solve the problem. The files that I'm told cannot be found are as follows:

sounds_x1.drs
gamedata_x1.drs
gamedata_x1_p1.drs
sounds.drs
graphics.drs
terrain.drs
interfac.drs
gamedata.drs

After going through all of those error messages, another error message pops up:

"Could not initialize graphics system. Make sure that your video card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw.
Error"

After this the game quits. I don't understand it--this is a new game, fresh out of the box. What in the world is going on, and how do I fix it?

Edit: Never mind, I figured out what the problem was. I had installed the game on my external hard drive in order to save space on my computer, but that apparently does not work. It's working now that I moved it to the computer itself.

Hi White Lancer, may I ask you: how exactly did you solve it? I've got exactly the same problem, with the difference I try to install it on the main hard drive. I tried to install it in different ways (custom, easy, complete, copy directly from the cd-rom, from a download dmg), I copied the missing files to multiple folders where it might be missing from, but none of it works.
Previously, I got it working on my Macbook when it had Tiger, but I do remember it didn't went on easy. How I solved it, no idea; it's been years ago...
I'm working with Tiger (10.4.11) on a iMac G4.

Last edited:

bigvic8

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
Hi, allworks except LAGG!!

Hi guys. I've downloaded and installed AoE2 Gold Edition for my mac. The game starts without problem, everthing seems to work, except it goes extremely slow right from the get go. Putting my cursor against single player, the icon doesnt highlight for MANY seconds. In game is extremely laggy and slow, unplayable..

I downloaded the updated, but when it asks me to Find Age of Empires 2, it wont let me click the icon

I have a macbook pro that I bought brand new summer of 2010. not sure of the specs

Whats going on ?? help!! i really wanna play its been a decade!

thxx

Last edited:

bigvic8

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
ive downloaded a different version, that has an installation aspect which doesnt work due to an inability to find the 'read me' file, even though I see the file present and have tried putting it into the same folder as the install is saved too. Nothing seems to be working though.

The game starts, the movies and starting films are shown, everything works great until you startgame. once it enters the loading screen for the game it crashes.

just tryin anything i can to make it work! plz help

Bosdavid

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
Rotterdam
Wich OS are you working with? (Snow) Leopard or Lion, I guess? AOEII doesn't work with those operating systems, for as far as I know... :(
I'm using an older iMac G3 or G4 or my previous harddisk (now externally) with Panther/Tiger installed on it to play the game...
Of those three option, I prefer playing in Tiger on my Macbook (Intel) above the other, since it has some possibilities (in looking at specified kinds of buildings and people in the game; villagers, economy and military). Though I guess this should be possible with my version on my iMac G4 as well. -haven't found it yet...

Perhaps you can try a version of Tiger through VM Ware or Fusion?...

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
thanks that download worked:D
but i still have the same problem with star wars galactic battlegrounds saying the same thing "drawsprocket cannot switch to the requested resolution (640x480, 16bit, 1 buffer(s))
any fixes or help
i have a new macbook and 10.5.4 thanks

Have you ever fixed this error? I am struggling with this too. Thanks

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Have you ever fixed this error? I am struggling with this too. Thanks
If I recall correctly (it's a long time since I played Galactic Battlegrounds), you'd have to switch your display to 256 colours in the System Preferences before launching the game. There were some extra hoops involved you have to jump through before you can do this, though, since this option is hidden by default from a certain version of OS X on. (I think you had to check an option called "Show unsupported resolutions" or something first.)

jazzanova

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
Hi guys,

We just completely install AOE 2 HD legit STEAM copy with using this technique on MAC. and works great!

The problem is, we want to play on LAN i mean without need to internet connection. Is there is a way to do it? When we switch steam to offline mode and play aoe, we cant even join on multiplayer in AOE 2 HD.

I saw they made emulator like SmartSteamEmu which is enable to run games without steam with lan option, but only working in under windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.