Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxdog175

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Subscription??

Nope. Drop the subscription, even increase the base cost by 15 bucks and I'll buy. But I'm not paying a subscription for remote desktop, especially considering there are plenty of one-time-pay services that work flawlessly.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Please tell me which ones ?

Try Splashtop it is Awesome! and works great on Windows and Mac OS.
I can administer all my kids laptops and the family Desktop from my ipad or my Macbook Pro. That and Air Video are the best two apps for the ipad and iphone.

cdubb80

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
I had tried downloading splashtop, logmein, and team viewer previously.

Ended up paying $20 for Screens - seems to meet my needs.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
i had this for my ipod touch 3 years ago, and it was a free app. how is this any different? did they take it away and then relaunch it as a paid thing?

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I have two apps that I use for remote access of Macs. One is PocketCloud and the other is VNC Viewer by RealVNC. Both do a decent job of connecting to my Mac for free. I did have to set up port forwarding on my router, but free is good.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Another vote for Jump Desktop!. I jumped ship from LogMeIn when they ditched the free service.

Are you able to remote into a Mac from a Windows machine with Jump Desktop? I don't really need to be able to do it on my iPhone or iPad but I use logmein a lot to remote into my home computer from my work computer.

iamkarlp

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
It would have been crazy to buy the launch price of $79. Even the subscription price makes no sense since you can BUY very good remote desktop apps for 10-$20 with no subscription.

You can buy all sorts of remote desktop terminals on Mac/iOS/Windows for anywhere from .99$ to 99.99$

However none of them include a hosted service as I presume this does (as does logmein, etc).

The hosted service gives the ability for the solution to "just work" in contrast to other solutions which require port forwarding / firewall rules / ddns setup. While those might not be a problem for some people to organize, they are a significant problem to those people who either don't have the technical wherewithal or, more crucially, don't or can't have access to make the changes they would need to make a static setup work.

The problem with a hosted service is that there is ongoing costs associated with it's use and operation that need to be recouped. People by and large have shown a preference for monthly financing, hence the prevalence of that model, however most companies have a way of buying yearly, or even bi-yearly via invoice, allowing you to treat it more like a traditional software purchase.

Karl P

CAO 303

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
NHV CT
The update also includes the ability to use an iPhone or iPad's microphone remotely for desktop apps that may require them...

THIS. I use Dragon Dictation on a daily basis for transcription work, and I would love to have a remote-desktop app which would allow me to do that kind of voice-dictation work via iPhone or iPad so I'm not tied down to a computer and headset. If any of you knowledgeable people have tried an alternative solution (read: without monthly fee) that will do this, what is it? Recommendations?

iamkarlp

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
The update also includes the ability to use an iPhone or iPad's microphone remotely for desktop apps that may require them...

THIS. I use Dragon Dictation on a daily basis for transcription work, and I would love to have a remote-desktop app which would allow me to do that kind of voice-dictation work via iPhone or iPad so I'm not tied down to a computer and headset. If any of you knowledgeable people have tried an alternative solution (read: without monthly fee) that will do this, what is it? Recommendations?

Just use an app to record audio files and then drag them into dragon for dictation later? This needs one of the Premium/Pro/Legal versions, but many people already have that anyways?

I'm going to guess that the heavily compressed audio channel here might not work well for dragon, as it is a little picky about audio quality, even locally....

Karl P

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
How is this different from the many dozens of other RDP, VNC, and other Remote Desktop apps that are already in the App store, and have been in the App store for many years? Some paid, some free.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I wish i knew his before heading to Fusion...

oh well... i'm not going back, since i have my reasons for hating Parallels with a passion.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I have two apps that I use for remote access of Macs. One is PocketCloud and the other is VNC Viewer by RealVNC. Both do a decent job of connecting to my Mac for free. I did have to set up port forwarding on my router, but free is good.

I ran this setup for a while. I used VineVNC on my Lion server (since OSX's VNC was messed up) and then RealVNC app.

The only reason I stopped that setup was because after a while my Mac was getting inundated with authentication attempts. About a 100 per day. You could see it in the logs for the VNC server. Tons of failed password authentication.

The server will black list an IP if they fail too many times, but I just didn't like the threat being there.

I switched to TeamViewer and now I can access all my computer from all my devices.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
I love this product. This is by far the best remote desktop solution around.

I've been beta testing this new release and found it to be much more faster then the 1.0

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
I logged on her for the first time in months just to share parallels access. But i see its already been discovered. Hands down the best since logmein. I have used them all. It pretty much does it all and does it the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.