Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Leaked images, mockups and schematics suggest the iPhone 6 will be Apple's thinnest iPhone model to date, with a side profile approaching that of the 6.1 mm iPod touch. A new report from Chinese media sources (Via GforGames) suggests Apple may face yield issues with the next generation iPhone due to its decision to minimize the size of the handset.

iphone_6_ipod_touch_1.jpg
According to supply chain sources who spoke anonymously to China Times, Apple may use only one brightness enhancement film (BEF) in its LCD display as a space-saving measure. Current generation iPhone displays are supplied by Minebea and use two layers in order to improve readability in these backlit displays.

This change to a single layer technology may cause yield issues as the one layer has to be of a higher quality in order to take the place of two. To meet demand for this new part, Apple allegedly is looking to OMRON and Radiant as suppliers to supplement the projected output from Minebea.

Despite an earlier rumor that Apple was considering adopting "touch on display" technology for future iPhone models, this latest report claims Apple will continue to use the current in-cell display for its upcoming iPhone 6. Sources also claim the main suppliers for the iPhone will remain LG, JDI and Sharp, which was rumored to have been dropped from Apple's iPhone 6 supplier chain. According a report from Taiwan's Economic Daily News, Apple was said to be replacing Sharp with Innolux due to "Moire" issues with Sharp's early sample panels.

Though it won't comment on its role in future Apple products, Sharp did confirm it is betting big on Apple with an entire plant dedicated to producing displays for the Cupertino company, said Sharp Senior Executive Norikazu Hoshi in an interview with Japanese newspaper Nikkei (via CNET). Similar to other companies that supply Apple, Sharp faces some risk in this strategy with large swings in monthly production due to Apple's once-a-year product refresh cycle.
The No. 1 plant's output goes to just one company (Apple). If you look at just this plant, it certainly presents a high level of volatility risk. But if we make LCD panels for smartphones in large quantities at the No. 2 plant, we can absorb the impact even when the No. 1 plant is not doing so well.
Sharp, Minebea and other Apple suppliers are gearing up for the expected mass production of the iPhone 6 which is rumored to begin in July. The iPhone 6 is expected to launch in September and may be available in both a 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch version.

Article Link: New Backlight Enables iPhone 6's Thin Design, May Cause Production Challenges

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I would really love if that Apple logo glowed for notifications.

You know some indicator that you have a notification

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Hmmm, if the profile is thin enough and the battery is thinner, this might allow people to carry two iPhones in the same pocket for all-day usability! :p

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
I agree... the iPhone 6 is already stupid big, so the fact they obsess over a few mm is even more evidence Apple has lost its way.

The fact they they can't even get iMessages to consistently go to devices they should (and stop them from going to devices they shouldn't) just reinforces the lack of polish these last few years.

Even the iPhone 4 got slightly heavier than the 3G/S. Apple wasn't too concerned about it back then.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yes, of course, Tim Cook, in a do-or-die (for him) product cycle, having been the victim of "product challenges" before, authorized a new problematic part for Apple's flagship, and wildly anticipated 2014 model.

No.

BS report.

Period.

(Not a huge Tim Cook fan, but he's a smart guy and just not possible for him to be that oblivious to the pressure he is under to produce good and available product this fall).

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I just hope Apple will allow delivery to door on release day like they usually do. Last year they didn't for the 5s because of the supply constraints on the fingerprint scanner.

Hopefully they get this worked out.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I am betting $1000 monopoly dollars on multiples of un-even backlighting return post!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Who is driving this thin obsession?

Only Apple. Lots of people here will claim they covet "thinner" but I speculate that that is mostly driven by them knowing Apple is going thinner so they want what Apple is going to give. You'll find few (any?) griping about the onerous thickness of the 5s or 5. And when Apple launched the 4, 5 and 5s, there were few-to-none griping about it being "too thick".

I think the rhythm of spinning "thinnest" at each launch event has simply set in such that it becomes a quest with every re-design. It's no longer the market faulting how heavy or thick the current generation device is now; it's just something that is internally important for marketing spin. I'm sure 20 guys will come back spinning how they desperately need an even thinner iPhone to try to rationalize it but I bet it would be hard to find any of those 20 griping about the thickness of their current iPhone in any other thread.

lik

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
I would really love if that Apple logo glowed for notifications.

You know some indicator that you have a notification

You know you can turn on the flash light to blink for that purpose, right? I use it and I love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.