Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBeverage

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
Hi folks,

I'm looking to get a secondary Magsafe 2 charger for my rMBP, but the new ones from Apple are a bit insane at $80 a pop. I'm looking at buying one used on ebay, but I'm concerned about buying a knockoff. I've heard horror stories about them destroying the batteries in MacBooks.

So my question is, how can I tell if one of these is a real Apple Magsafe 2 charger, either pre- or post-purchase?

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
Check out OWC. You will get a bulk packaged Apple charger at a significant discount, but still not as cheap as one would like.

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Ebay is OK, just be cautious and ask the seller why they are selling the charger. They may have had the computer stolen, spilled water on it, etc and are trying to recoup some of their loss.

TheBeverage

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
Check out OWC. You will get a bulk packaged Apple charger at a significant discount, but still not as cheap as one would like.

$65 definitely seems a bit more reasonable. Is this site known to have genuine stuff?

TheBeverage

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
Ebay is OK, just be cautious and ask the seller why they are selling the charger. They may have had the computer stolen, spilled water on it, etc and are trying to recoup some of their loss.

I've noticed a lot of them come with or in the box. Would there be any specific signs that the charger was a knockoff, missing markings or such? A lot of them seem to be selling a number of the chargers, which makes me wary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.