Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:34 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's In-House Advertisements Scoring Lower Than Its Outsourced Ads

Apple's in-house advertisements are scoring lower than those created by TBWA\Media Arts Labs, a unit of Apple's longtime ad partner TBWA\Chiat\Day, according to Ace Metrix ad-watching data compiled by Bloomberg.
Image via Bloomberg
Quote:
So far, ads made by the in-house team have received a cooler reception from viewers on average than those made by the agency. Ace Metrix gathers data from hundreds of TV watchers to discern how persuasive and entertaining an ad is.
"Chicken Fat" is the Apple in-house team's biggest ad success so far, scoring a 611 from Ace Metrix. However, the ad scored lower than two Media Arts ads, "From the Heart" and "Gigantic", since late last year. "Gigantic" is Apple's highest scoring ad since late last year. The highest ever score for an Apple ad was 696 for a 2010 FaceTime commercial.

The lowest scoring ads for Apple include its "Your Verse" campaign, showing off how people are using their iPads in various parts of the world doing different activities, like traveling the world, climbing mountains or directing a Bollywood dance number. None of those ads scored higher than a 600 in Ace Metrix's scale.

Comparatively, Samsung and its agency have had better luck, netting a 739 score for a Samsung Galaxy S5 commercial showing the water-proof phone being used during a water fight. The ad is the second Galaxy ad to top the 700 mark for Ace Metrix.

Rob Siltanen, an advertising consultant who wrote the ad copy for "Here's to the crazy ones" told Bloomberg that Apple's struggles may be coming from trying too hard to represent themselves.
Quote:
"The hardest ads I've ever worked on were ads for myself," Siltanen says. "There's a truism out there that applies: 'The lawyer who represents himself in court has an idiot for a client.' It's very hard to have the necessary perspective to do the job right."
Alternatively, Boston University ad professor Edward Boches says Apple could be struggling selling itself as a leading company and may be more comfortable playing off other companies, like Microsoft.

Apple has found it difficult to find its footing with advertising recently, expanding marketing efforts and creating its 1,000 person in-house ad team in recent months. While the Cupertino company has taken greater efforts to control its advertising, it is still collaborating with TBWA\Media Arts Labs.

Article Link: Apple's In-House Advertisements Scoring Lower Than Its Outsourced Ads
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:37 PM   #2
kas23
macrumors 603

I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Apple's in-house advertising people. This "chicken fat" song is disgusting. I don't care if it has nothing to do with "chicken fat" but the song is just a turn-off. Second, the "what would your verse" narrator, whoever he may be, sounds like he's about to die. Just a very grating, unpleasant voice. I don't know what they were thinking.
kas23 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:39 PM   #3
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Don't be too hard on yourself, Apple, I'm just happy when I see a commercial from you that doesn't feature the condescending Genius guy.

(it's fun to give immensely successful companies consolation messages from the comfort of my chair)
AngerDanger is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:39 PM   #4
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

I know that half of the my advertising is rubbish, the problem is that I don't know which half.
I need a new phone, One that won't make me sick, One that won't make me crash my car, Or make me feel three feet thick, One that won't hurt my head, One that won't make me nervous,Wondering what to do
RobertMartens is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:39 PM   #5
mrxak
macrumors 65816

I cringe every time that Chicken Fat ad comes on, but I'm not sure how much I'd put stock in what a group that has a vested interest in the major ad agencies says about Apple's in-house ads.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:40 PM   #6
Burger Thing
macrumors 6502a

Kick out the in house Ad-Team, employ more software engineers and use the facilities to develop Pro-Software and stick to your legacy
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:40 PM   #7
Chocolatemilty
macrumors 6502

I find this really interesting, because even though I own quite a few Apple products, I don't consider myself an Apple fanboy. I really like all the major mobile and PC players and am well-versed in all of them. However, I feel the "Verse" campaign is quite compelling. Of course, I am biased being a music graduate student, but Esa-Pekka Salonen's commercial is quite remarkable. When the initial Your Verse commercial first premiered, I felt it was the most compelling Apple ad in some time. I guess not all felt the same. What Apple is most likely counting on is all of their different ads resonating with different factions of people instead of one with all.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:40 PM   #8
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Really, "Gigantic" rated that high? I couldn't stand that commercial for one reason: the music. that irritating refrain over and over again. I'm so glad they don't play it anymore, because I was at the point of muting the TV when it came on and occasionally changing the channel.
longofest is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:40 PM   #9
Paddle1
macrumors 65816

I didn't even know chicken fat was an Apple commercial, all I could notice was the song.
Paddle1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:42 PM   #10
na1577
macrumors 6502a

No surprises here.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:44 PM   #11
kwikdeth
macrumors 6502

personally i found the "your verse" ads insulting. there's a certain unpleasant irony in showing a rich white woman with an iPad surrounded by the poor chinese people who probably had to leave their homes or family for months or years on end to build said expensive tablet.
kwikdeth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:45 PM   #12
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by longofest View Post
Really, "Gigantic" rated that high? I couldn't stand that commercial for one reason: the music. that irritating refrain over and over again. I'm so glad they don't play it anymore, because I was at the point of muting the TV when it came on and occasionally changing the channel.
I always mute the tv during commercials, you should try it.
I need a new phone, One that won't make me sick, One that won't make me crash my car, Or make me feel three feet thick, One that won't hurt my head, One that won't make me nervous,Wondering what to do
RobertMartens is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:46 PM   #13
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Why do rumor sites keep reporting crap from Ace Metrix? One, Samsung was/is a client, two, how do we know how reputable Ace Metrix is? I had never heard of them until they started reporting low scores for Apple ads. Hmm...perhaps that's why Apple always scores low with them...the only way for them to get noticed.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:46 PM   #14
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
The only ads I thought were good include the "Get a Mac" campaign, the original iPhone ads, the iPhone 3G ads, iPod ads, and the emotional FaceTime ads.
The rest are boring. Instead of showcasing apps, or trying to make it look like the iPhone is life changing (it's life enhancing, not a life saver here) why not show case some cool features like Touch ID, the great camera, and highlight how 64bit is the future, showoff features of the OS, etc.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:46 PM   #15
mKTank
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by longofest View Post
Not to mention, the actual song is about large black penises (seriously, go look it up). When the internet noticed this, that helped give the ad more attention.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:47 PM   #16
needfx
macrumors 68030

gigantic pun?
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:48 PM   #17
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

Nothing will ever match up to Apple's old Mac vs PC ad campaign.
SchneiderMan is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:49 PM   #18
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502a

Your verse is one of my all time favorite apple ads. How can you go wrong with Robin Williams and dead poet's society? Clearly, times they are a changing... and not necessarily for the better.
Karma*Police is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:50 PM   #19
rocknblogger
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to rocknblogger
For those that don't know the Chicken Fat song was part of a presidential nationwide campaign aimed at school children to participate in sports and exercise. This was in the 70's.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:03 PM   #20
wiggums1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKTank View Post
Not to mention, the actual song is about large black penises (seriously, go look it up). When the internet noticed this, that helped give the ad more attention.
You probably can't site the original artist without re-searching the internet, let alone give an accurate description of what the song is actually about. The "black penis" is your perverse interpretation, don't blame it on the internet. It's a bad commercial because it's a bad cover...
wiggums1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:04 PM   #21
TheRainKing
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Apple's in-house advertising people. This "chicken fat" song is disgusting. I don't care if it has nothing to do with "chicken fat" but the song is just a turn-off. Second, the "what would your verse" narrator, whoever he may be, sounds like he's about to die. Just a very grating, unpleasant voice. I don't know what they were thinking.
I've been unimpressed with most of Apple's ads since Steve Jobs died. I can only think of two that I liked, 'Piano' and 'Bounce'. What do those two ads have in common? They were simple and fun.

Last edited by TheRainKing; Jun 30, 2014 at 09:11 PM.
TheRainKing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:04 PM   #22
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxak View Post
I cringe every time that Chicken Fat ad comes on, but I'm not sure how much I'd put stock in what a group that has a vested interest in the major ad agencies says about Apple's in-house ads.
Someone had to say something about chicken stock ... that's all .

I actually stopped watching Apple ads after the ridiculous Siri series, and they're really easy to avoid here as there is no Apple presence in NZ, so pretty much only the phone ads get through; I can't even remember seeing a TV piece for iPad, and from the sounds of it, I'm better off not seeing them lately.

The Mac vs PC ads were great, and the much older Apple ads, steamroller and the like, were powerful in an era when they had to be. The iDevice ads tend to be so sentimental as to be cringy across the board, so I'm happy enough without .
MartiNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:05 PM   #23
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

They should keep trying.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:06 PM   #24
Frisco
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchneiderMan View Post
Nothing will ever match up to Apple's old Mac vs PC ad campaign.
Those got old very quickly. Nothing will ever match their "Think Different" campaign.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:10 PM   #25
Tech198
macrumors 601

Some people have it, and some don't

Apple has better skill in certain areas, but trying to do it in-house (probably to save money), Apple jumps in the deep end without being able to swim.

Netflix on the other hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Those got old very quickly. Nothing will ever match their "Think Different" campaign.
So do these. Apple has to bombard us with stuff after stuff.

The Mac vs PC ads were comedy like.... but the problem with Apple is if they like anything regardless of what the public things, they'll do it anyway, and make as much noise as possible,

You give them a dummy and they spit it out.

*umm. kinda like me actually*

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion