Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
If you want to give Samsung your money so much, why not simply buy their phones?
I don't like that company and I want to give them as little money as I can.
You say it's ridiculous to think that way, but it's precisely the way Apple thinks, or they wouldn't be switching away from Samsung. Apple doesn't use TSMC because they don't have the yields, not because they make lower quality products. Quality has nothing to do with it.
My point stays, the sooner they stop using Samsung chips, the better.

Apple ARE NOT switching away from Samsung, you have no idea about the business Apple is in or how it works, if you did then you would know, appreciate and understand exactly WHY Apple uses Samsung. And I also stated exactly what you said about TSMC above.

But instead you state you will refuse to buy anything with Samsung inside it because of the way that an Apple rumours website has conditioned your thinking. That's sad.
I know you have choice and it's your opinion, but to allow that choice and freedom of thinking to be corrupted and directed through the comments and click bait news story's you read on a website is very very sad. You also don't seem to realise that the Samsung retail division Apple are suing is separate to the component manufacturer.

I also do not buy Samsung phones as I don't like them, it is my choice not to, but I am not naive enough and allow my mind to be directed enough to hate any device that has a chip in it with Samsung on it! Because that is an extremely large number of devices I would not own.

Are all you lot going to end up trying to find out what ship they used to transport your products on too, in case the ship used was made by Samsung? So you can refuse to buy said product so you don't support Samsung? Or are you going to stop buying gas or oil in case it was shipped on a Samsung built ship?

That's where this ideology is heading.

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
The sooner Apple can stop using Samsung foundries completely the better.
At least the fact that Apple is indeed slowly reducing their dependency from them shows that Samsung isn't irreplaceable. Hopefully in a few years most components will be made by other companies, and eventually even in-house. That would be great.
Isn't this report saying the opposite?

----------

It's not an ideology. It's called having principles. Apple is reducing their dependance on Samsung precisely because of the name. Are you implying Apple has a stupid ideology?

If you want to give Samsung your money so much, why not simply buy their phones?
I don't like that company and I want to give them as little money as I can.

Apple doesn't use exclusively TSMC because they don't have the yields, not because they make lower quality products. Quality has nothing to do with it.

My point stays, the sooner they stop using Samsung chips, the better.
I think you need to look up some words.

Forbius

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
NYC
Apple ARE NOT switching away from Samsung

Yes they are, at least for the A processors. And this article confirms that.

you have no idea about the business Apple is in or how it works

Because you do?

WHY Apple uses Samsung. And I also stated exactly what you said about TSMC above.

But Apple doesn't only use Samsung, it could be any other company.

But instead you state you will refuse to buy anything with Samsung inside it because of the way that an Apple rumours website has conditioned your thinking. That's sad.

Too bad I never said that.

I also do not buy Samsung phones as I don't like them, it is my choice not to, but I am not naive enough and allow my mind to be directed enough to hate any device that has a chip in it with Samsung on it! Because that is an extremely large number of devices I would not own.

Second strawman. I never said I hated those devices.

I know you have choice and it's your opinions, but to allow that choice and freedom of thinking to be corrupted and directed through the comments you read on a website is very very sad.

What's 'sad' is people who use emotions as arguments.

Isn't this report saying the opposite?

Where ?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
And Apple continues to go with companies that will give them the best result, regardless of what their fans think they should do.

Good.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
So are all the prior iPads, and iPhones rubbish because Samsung is rubbish, they also make a lot of memory that goes into Macs, people also clamor for the displays that Samsung make. :rolleyes:

Lol.. right. People are so oblivious to life, the real world, reality, even to the brands they are so fanboy loyal to.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
It's not an ideology. It's called having principles. Apple is reducing their dependance on Samsung precisely because of the name. Are you implying Apple has a stupid ideology?

No, any company X will strive to not be dependent on a single vendor. It has absolutely nothing to do with any names or ideologies. It is business strategy 101.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Because Samsung is really the only foundry that can produce the chips in the volume, quality yields and price that Apple wants.

Not really. Even Samsung themselves do not use their own chips for a big chunk of their products and their foundry actually doesn't make all that many processors compared to someone like TSMC, not even close. Other than Apple and their own mobile division they don't have a big client.

The biggest thing for Samsung is that they had a connection with Apple from earlier days going back years ago to the iPod as well as the first iPhone. Because it's really difficult to source different chip makers and hard to move away, that decision has set years of dependency in place.

Are there many current iOS apps - other than games - that really tap all of the existing speed of the A7, never mind the aggressive schedule for the A8 and A9?

Safari.

Forbius

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
NYC
No, any company X will strive to not be dependent on a single vendor. It has absolutely nothing to do with any names or ideologies. It is business strategy 101.

Certainly. But knowing the way Apple thinks, and what's happened between both companies, it's totally understandable that Apple would want do distance itself from Samsung.

If what you say is true, why did Apple switch from Samsung to LG and Sharp for the iPad Mini displays and used Samsung only when necessary?

http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/01/new-r...lg-samsung-brought-onboard-to-aid-production/

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

Apple might be reducing their dependence on Samsung slightly, but Apple doesn't want to be utterly dependant on anyone - not just Samsung - as it weakens their position when it comes to negotiating contracts. I've yet to see any report indicating they're reducing their Samsung orders because of quality.

Apple can't dump Samsung even if it so wanted, as Apple needs Samsung as much if not more than Samsung needs Apple's business.

Forbius

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
NYC
Not really. Even Samsung themselves do not use their own chips for a big chunk of their products

That's true. And it's an indication of how little confidence they have in their own processor designs.

Because it's really difficult to source different chip makers and hard to move away, that decision has set years of dependency in place.

If that's true, that would be encouraging in that Apple will slowly be able to remove that dependency. We'll see within a few years.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Apple needs Samsung as much if not more than Samsung needs Apple's business.

That's very debatable. Samsung's foundry division isn't doing well and their business declined last year. Without Apple, currently they have no one else ordering the kind of high margin, high volume order. At least there are other foundries who make chips - one of them mentioned right in the article, although in partnership with Samsung - but who else will buy tens of millions of chips from Samsung?

Forbius

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
NYC
Apple might be reducing their dependence on Samsung slightly, but Apple doesn't want to be utterly dependant on anyone - not just Samsung - as it weakens their position when it comes to negotiating contracts. I've yet to see any report indicating they're reducing their Samsung orders because of quality.

I'm not saying they are reducing orders because of quality, and indeed there are not many indications that they are reducing yet.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
That's very debatable. Samsung's foundry division isn't doing well and their business declined last year. Without Apple, currently they have no one else ordering the kind of high margin, high volume order. At least there are other foundries who make chips - one of them mentioned right in the article, although in partnership with Samsung - but who else will buy tens of millions of chips from Samsung?

The chip-fabricating division is just one part of a much larger entity, while the ARM chips are central to Apple's main revenue stream - iOS devices.

Apple could find other manufacturing partners, but not easily or cheaply (and they don't want to be 100% dependant on TSMC or anyone else either). And Samsung can sell to the growing Android phone/phablet/tablet user-base out there, though they wouldn't want to lose Apple's substantial business.

They're better off together.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I'm getting an iPhone 6 this year and just glad the processor WON'T be made by samsung! They are low quality rubbish.

Samsung screens > LG screens for Macbook displays.

There's a reason why Apple needs Samsung for processors. They might make ok phones but they make fricking great processors.

Last edited by a moderator:

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
That's true. And it's an indication of how little confidence they have in their own processor designs.

No, it's an indication that they are smart enough to realize that there is no benefit to be had from designing a low-to-mid range CPU for a mobile phone when the market is already bursting with off-the-shelf options. They use their own stuff exclusively for the high end models.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
The chip-fabricating division is just one part of a much larger entity, while the ARM chips are central to Apple's main revenue stream - iOS devices.

Which doesn't address the main issue. There are other fabs. There's only one Apple.

Put it this way. ARM chips are central to Samsung's main profit stream, the Galaxy phones. Most of them have TSMC-made Qualcomm chips. So TSMC is more important to Samsung than anyone else?

And Samsung can sell to the growing Android phone/phablet/tablet user-base out there, though they wouldn't want to lose Apple's substantial business.

One problem. There are other companies already selling chips to the growing Android phones. As I've mentioned even Samsung isn't exclusively using Samsung processors.

They're better off together.

From Apple's point of view that's not true if you're implying exclusivity with Samsung helps them. Apple already relies on multiple suppliers for pretty much everything else. They certainly wouldn't want to solely rely on Samsung for their processors.

Forbius

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
NYC
No, it's an indication that they are smart enough to realize that there is no benefit to be had from designing a low-to-mid range CPU for a mobile phone when the market is already bursting with off-the-shelf options. They use their own stuff exclusively for the high end models.

Except many models of their high-end phones use other processors than their own.

The Galaxy S5 uses Exynos for one model only, and not the main international model. The american version of the Note 4 is rumored to embark a Snapdragon 805.

Apple on the other hand, uses custom designed processors for all their iDevices.
Are you saying Apple isn't smart? Because frankly that's the logical consequence to your comment.

Last edited:

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Apple on the other hand, uses custom designed processors for all their iDevices.
Are you saying Apple isn't smart? Because frankly that's the logical consequence to your comment.

Well, they use one for the flagship, and then handmedowns from yesteryear for the rest.

As for being smart, I can't tell. So far they certainly haven't done anything that couldn't have just as easily be done with an off the shelf Snapdragon, but I'm not going to pass judgement on that quite this soon.

EDIT: It would certainly be stupid if Apple did design a completely new set of processors for the mid- and low-end iPhone-models and iPods instead of recycling the old ones.

Forbius

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
NYC
As for being smart, I can't tell. So far they certainly haven't done anything that couldn't have just as easily be done with an off the shelf Snapdragon, but I'm not going to pass judgement on that quite this soon.

Yes because 64 bit Snapdragons are so easy to come by !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.