Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Hmmm, £159, that's only £30 more than a Nano... a lot more bang for your buck too.

So does this mark the beginning of the end for the Nano? I get that there may still be some people who want the smaller form factor (maybe gym users/runners etc), but I'm thinking that's going to be a rather small minority these days, or at least will be in Apple's view.

I thought the beginning of the end was when they removed the Nano's only useful feature, the ability to be used as a watch, and instead tried to make it a cheapo version of the iPod touch.

----------

So much innovation that I just can't stand it.
How novel, how creative...
outside the box....
Samsung must be rolling over dead jealous of the outlandish creative thinking.
Whoa look at the stock soar!

Can't Apple change their storage options without you making a cheesy sarcastic comment?

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I may eventually get a 64 gb to replace my 16, for everything I want to do with it, namely music, the device fits the bill

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
When something like this happens on another device the editors of this website do not say that the device has been upgraded but they do when it is the iPod Touch. WHY? This is TWO times in a row that the editors have said that the iPod Touch was updated when it was not. I have never seen this happen with any other Apple product on this site.

This isn't an upgrade. Come on MR, change the recommendation to don't buy.

The last time the iPod Touch was actually upgraded was in the fall of 2012.

Update this website properly.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
This is the last iPod touch.

The touch doesn't fit into the iPod family. It is closer to an iPad.

The nano and shuffle will be left as music players.

The iPod touch will get a bigger screen, a lightning headphone connector, and become part of the iPad range with wifi only, and wifi/cellular options.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
So does this mark the beginning of the end for the Nano? I get that there may still be some people who want the smaller form factor (maybe gym users/runners etc), but I'm thinking that's going to be a rather small minority these days, or at least will be in Apple's view.

I think they'll quietly kill it once the iWatch comes out. No sense in having two small and similarly-functioned devices in your line up.

ipodtouch4ever

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2014
The prices for the iPod Touch in Canada used to be the same as the one in the US, but the price cuts have made a price difference in the US and Canada. 16gb is $219, 32gb is $269, and 64gb is $319.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
This is the last iPod touch.

The touch doesn't fit into the iPod family. It is closer to an iPad.

The nano and shuffle will be left as music players.

The iPod touch will get a bigger screen, a lightning headphone connector, and become part of the iPad range with wifi only, and wifi/cellular options.

I think the touch plays very nicely into the lineup of iOS devices. You are right, it is more of a iPad nano in this day and age, but I think they will keep the iPod lineage and screen size. The term iPod hasn't been limited to just music since the iPod photo.

The touch is the affordable entry point into Apple's whole ecosystem: Music, Apps, TV shows, Movies, Books... There are just as many ways to spend more money on an iPod Touch as there are on an iPhone/iPad. Having a low end, low price, high margin device that people who can't afford or don't need your flagship product will buy, but gets them sinking money into something that is pure profit for you? If you were Apple, how could you say no to that?

----------

The prices for the iPod Touch in Canada used to be the same as the one in the US, but the price cuts have made a price difference in the US and Canada. 16gb is $219, 32gb is $269, and 64gb is $319.

At the current exchange rate those prices are within a few dollars of being spot on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.