Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Ok, the 3rd party thing could be HUGE.

Imagine a whole section of the Mac App store that does nothing but sells things that work inside "Photos."

If that takes off (IF) you could potentially make the program into whatever the hell you want it to be.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
This makes me feel a little better about Apple dumping Aperture, but I'm still sceptical.
Why wouldn't they wait to announce they're killing Aperture until after releasing Photos? Goddamnit!

Last edited:

cojocu

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
I assume that the focus will be on 3rd party extensions (similar to iOS), but I really hope they have Brushes. That is one of my most-used adjustment tools in Aperture.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
I have loyally stuck with iPhoto over years, and as a consquence, I have GIGS worth of photos stored in a messy complicated way that I cannot even begin to understand.

Will this new Photo app unmess the mess iPhoto made and restore all my pictures to some rational system that a non techie can easily grasp?

Or am I, like so many other Mac loyalists, going to get stuck with having my photos buried within cryptically named photos in a way that I just cannot understand, much less use practically?

Apple please clean up my photo storage mess after you ditch iPhoto, thank you!

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
I use only iPhoto. If the new app is leaner and faster, and with some extra capabilities - I'm all for it.

But even more so I look forward to the new iCloud storage and seamless syncing solution, because the current photostream implementation is FAR from ideal (no videos, huge mess with events/sorting and pain to sync across all devices).

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Why wouldn't they wait to kill Aperture until after releasing Photos? Goddamnit!

Apple promising to support it in Yosemite IS them killing it off after releasing Photos.

I agree, though, that they really should have announced the Aperture death the same day they explained exactly what Photos can and can not do.

pezdaddy

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012

Many people have expressed their distaste with the way iPhoto and Aperture manage photo libraries from a file system standpoint. (It never really bothered me since it makes more sense to browse by image-relevant info rather than generic file info.)

I've never understood this. Why would someone want to browse their images at the folder level outside of the application (Aperture, lightroom, etc.). You can see your images. but you can't see any of your editing, which is precisely the reason someone would use the program to begin with, right?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
"certain professional-grade features would be coming to the new Photos app:"

I wonder then if it will have less then features then if only certain features will be added.

My guess is that it will be like a Freemium iOS app in that it will have basic consumer features similar to what iPhoto now has and if you want additional features you can "buy up" to the level you need from 3rd Parties. And while Photos will be free to get Lightroom+ features and functionality the take home price will surpass $100.

I'm OK with that set up though IF the program supports "offline/local storage only." If users are required to connect to iCloud for any reason I'm out. I wish Apple would be more forthcoming in this regard.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
One fear is that they do away with the prof. grade RAW functions in Aperture. Today one thing Apple spend a lot of time on is the constant updating of cameras in this area.

They've focused a lot on non-destructive RAW flow in Yosemite with the updates to Core Image based on WWDC presentations, with particular focus on noise, lens correction. One huge thing on Yosemite is the concept of "extension", which is potentially huge both from Apple's own Photos app but also from the perspective of third-party folks. So I'm optimistic about RAW.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Would love to see the back of iPhoto. That program really is an ungodly mess.

I do love Lightroom, but the lack of photo stream support is a pain (and the only reason I ever open iPhoto.). Hopefully if photos is going to be more open to 3rd parties then Adobe will come up with some photo stream integration.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Maybe they will make this like Garageband...isn't that a FREE app but you have In-App Purchases?

I don't mind this. iPhoto was FREE...Aperture was PAID.

Give me iPhoto + some features free...then pay a "Pro" or "Aperture" bundle. for $50...then have 3rd-party add ons, like Nik, or the like and wow!!! that could be good.

pezdaddy

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Apple please clean up my photo storage mess after you ditch iPhoto, thank you!

So you haven't bothered to clean up/organize your photos (I use Aperture, but photo organization between the two isn't that much different - everything starts with an event) and your blaming Apple??

Are you using a referenced or managed library? Once your pictures are in iphoto, are you also looking at them outside of iphoto in the finder? That might be part of the problem, don't know. The finder isn't going to duplicate exactly how iphoto looks.

Your photos live in iphoto, Organize them in iphoto. Not hard...

Last edited:

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I already dove into the Photoshop CC and don't plan on looking back. I'll use Photos for my iPhone photography organization, but that's it.

I thought $119 for a year was fair for Lightroom and Photoshop CC, assuming that continues to be the price. I'm excited for learning photoshop, I bought a few training manuals already, and look forward to the possibilities it offers. I've been getting a bit bored with my photography and this Aperture to LR/Photoshop switch has re-invigorated me.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
What about the cloud issue? Are they going to mandate storing your entire library in the cloud?

Due to privacy issues and the sheer size of my library, I can't do that. I admit that I would enjoy being able to have PART of my library in the cloud; albums of final good photos from trips, five-star photos, etc... but being required to upload my entire 1TB+ library to the cloud would be completely unfeasible.

I will relax quite a bit once I have a good answer on this!

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Here's a question,

If you have some images on your Mac, can you add/import them to Photos?

If you can, do they sync across?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
What about the cloud issue? Are they going to mandate storing your entire library in the cloud?

Due to privacy issues and the sheer size of my library, I can't do that. I admit that I would enjoy being able to have PART of my library in the cloud; albums of final good photos from trips, five-star photos, etc... but being required to upload my entire 1TB+ library to the cloud would be completely unfeasible.

I will relax quite a bit once I have a good answer on this!

Doubtful they'd allow for a nice partial upload, but I do like the idea of 4-5 STARS gets Cloud Synced.

I take a ton of photos. not all GREAT but many decent. I will throw some up to Flickr/Facebook or put into books but not the bad ones are deleted unless they are awful.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
If this comes free with every Mac, it may well be a game changer. Provided it's up to standard with competitor photo software.

dredlew

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014
Japan
Yup, seems like you're right.

80% of the features between iPhoto and Aperture were redundant anyways. Might as well combine them and pool all the resources together.

If you think that Aperture has 20% over iPhoto, then you don't know Aperture.

The real hardcore pros will stick to Lightroom like they have been using for the past few years anyways.

Right, like the real hardcore pros all use Lightroom. But it's the internet, you can say pretty much anything~

Dan--

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Ok, the 3rd party thing could be HUGE.

Imagine a whole section of the Mac App store that does nothing but sells things that work inside "Photos."

If that takes off (IF) you could potentially make the program into whatever the hell you want it to be.

Yeah, as long as it doesn't take a few hundred dollars to get where Aperture is now.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
The "Modern" color palette is just sad, can't wait for 2019 when a new color palette arrives in the GUI world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.