Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

disasterdrone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
The new version of iPhoto took away the ability to view photos using the whole screen, insisting that you have toolbars present even if you don't want them - has the latest version fixed that?
Thanks!

Chris-45

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
No

Not as far as I can see. Am planning to revert to iPhoto 8 from a backup, before doing any more work with iPhoto 9. I just can't see at the moment that iPhoto 9 is anything other than a retrograde step.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Yes

It works like this:

1) Open iPhoto
2) Make sure you aren't viewing a photo
3) Enter full-screen mode
4) View a single photo
5) Wait a few seconds and the toolbars will go away

It doesn't work if you enter full-screen mode while viewing a photo; the toolbars will stay even if you switch to another image. It starts working properly if you step out from the image and back in (for example by pressing space twice).

Chris-45

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
Thanks, very prompt, and accurate. But not what I was hoping for:

Indeed, after following your magic formula and waiting (impatiently) for a few seconds the toolbars go away, but if I then try to edit, the toolbars and a sidebar come back. What I really want is an unobstructed view of the photo while editing, making use of all the screen, especially when it's a landscape photo.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Chris

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
You're right – I apparently focused on the "ability to view photos using the whole screen" part and somehow blocked out the context of editing. My mistake!

Unfortunately I've got no tips there.

Chris-45

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
Thanks, you've been very helpful, though I was hoping you might have found a way around this too. I'll wait a day or two in case something magic happens to make me change my mind, then revert to iPhoto 8. At least I have that option.

Chris-45

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
Ps

I see there will be a new Photos app next year, replacing both iPhoto and Aperture. Let's hope they do a better job with that than with iPhoto 9, which is horrible to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.