Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Wow! So old. I remember when IMing was the big thing before everyone in middle school had a cellphone, and AIM was the IM client of choice. I still use IM clients (and IRC too!) so there's still people using them out there!

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I have both a @me.com & @iCloud.com address and I prefer to use the @me.com. I actually love it and didn't wanna move forward in using the @iCloud.com address for some reason.

Has Apple pushed me.com to legacy? I don't see why it can't be offered with iCloud.com as well... Microsoft offers this with their live.com & hotmail.com as options.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I remember using AOL/AIM a lot in the late 90's / early 2000's. I remember when cell phones first started coming with AIM clients built in... I thought it was so awesome to be out and message my AOL friends from my phone. :D

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Has Apple pushed me.com to legacy? I don't see why it can't be offered with iCloud.com as well... Microsoft offers this with their live.com & hotmail.com as options.

I believe they did. For new accounts it only gives you a @icloud.com address and legacy users of the @me.com address gets both addresses and can choose which one they want to send from

Last edited:

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
I actually use AIM to remote control my parents iMac to help them. Can you still do that without AIM does anyone know?

Not bothered about the service, but need to remote parents lack of computer skills.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
If this is true, they better not stop support for ICQ.....

theme_WindowsICQ.png

----------

people still use AIM?

Do you have to have an AOL paid account for this?

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Haven't used AIM in a while, but I've been using ICQ again since Microsoft pulled the plug on third-party MSN clients a few months back.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
One thing comes to mind when I see AIM: College days! :cool: AIM was THE WAY to communicate with everyone in school... including your roommate sitting a few feet from you :D

Yep, and then Facebook took over midway through college for me. And AIM died.

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
I am just sick of continued new chat clients that really solve nothing. Gtalk is now hangouts and doesn't support Jabber. Messages is a jabber client on the Mac but not on the iPhone and doesn't sync messages across different devices well. Facebook chat is jabber based, but is just another one. And don't even get started on Snapchat, etc.

Adium development is basically dead as far as I can tell, so I don't expect there to be a good unified chat client anytime soon. It just sucks to see pointless proliferation just in the name of locking in customers.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Didn't Microsoft get bad press when they recently announced they won't be supporting older systems too with Skype?

Is this one of those 'Rival company does something and they're horrible, Apple does it and it's trivial' moments?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Didn't Microsoft get bad press when they recently announced they won't be supporting older systems too with Skype?

Is this one of those 'Rival company does something and they're horrible, Apple does it and it's trivial' moments?

If people were still even using AIM (as seen here in this very thread, there are only one or two who do use it still), it would be an issue. Skype is huge, but AIM is clinging on for life. AOL themselves is a dying company.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Bit of legacy technology going there :p
But i like my @me email address. when ever anyone ask me for my email I say [myname]@me.com and everyone goes "that's much better than Hotmail." I don't like iCloud as it just gives the feeling of that "hotmail" one - nothing special but the @me one also goes well as i got my actual name there (i have a rare name) so it helps makes it sound better

I wish Apple would let us use custom domains with our iCloud accounts. I have registered my last name using the new .email domain, and set it up with Outlook.com which has free custom domain email. So if you want a neat address you could do first@last.email. I use it for business. So far I've received positive comments.

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
ahhhh this should have deff been posted on Thursday! it's a throwback! but I remember when AIM was my Friday night talking to the girls. I don't see how this would affect too many adults or kids for that matter now though. Cell phone plans are way different. If AIM wasn't dead enough already, iMessages pretty much kicked the horse again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.