Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:19 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Tim Cook Emphasizes Importance of Voice Messaging, Sparking iWatch Speculation

UBS analyst Steve Milunovich recently had a chance to meet up with Tim Cook, as detailed in a new note Milunovich sent to investors on Tuesday (via Fortune). During the meeting, Cook reportedly touched on the subject of voice messaging and based on Cook's comments, Milunovich is predicting a voice messaging app as a key feature of Apple's upcoming iWatch.
Quote:
"When we visited with Tim Cook, he said that walking down streets in China one sees people speaking into their phones sending voice rather than text messages. Porting this capability to the watch makes sense as it is easier to send a voice message from a device already on the wrist than pulling out a phone. It also could aid penetration of China, which Cook said has a ways to go."
Cook's comments on voice messaging were likely in relation to a new feature built into Messages in iOS 8, which allows users to record and send audio messages. In iOS 8, the Messages app has a new Microphone icon located to the right of the text box, which can be held down to record a quick voice message.

It is not known if Apple has plans to build a similar feature into the iWatch, but it is not out of the realm of possibility. Rumors have previously suggested Siri's voice-recognition capabilities might play an important role on the device given its limited screen size, and voice messages may be another natural fit.

Apple's iWatch is said to be entering production in the near future, in preparation for a possible October launch. The device, which is expected to run a version of iOS 8, is believed to be reliant on existing iOS devices for some of its core Phone and Messages functionality. Current rumors suggest it may have multiple screen sizes up to 2.5-inches in size, a range of health-related sensors, and a multitude of designs to suit different fashion tastes.

Article Link: Tim Cook Emphasizes Importance of Voice Messaging, Sparking iWatch Speculation
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:22 PM   #2
rosalindavenue
macrumors 6502a

So what you're saying is that tomorrow Samsung announces its Galaxy Gear IV Voice Message model?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:22 PM   #3
pseudomichael
macrumors newbie

Tim Cook farted Wednesday afternoon, sparking 14 new apple rumors. Analysts are now saying that Apple is doomed, but someone familiar with the matter told the WSJ that it's Google who should be worried.
pseudomichael is offline   46 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:22 PM   #4
NY Guitarist
macrumors 6502

Can this do voice email? Meaning in addition to voice message within iMessages?
NY Guitarist is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:22 PM   #5
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Aid penetration of China? The slave labor is not enough? Lets hope this new feature works out well.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:22 PM   #6
GlastoEls
macrumors newbie

KITT come in pal....
GlastoEls is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:23 PM   #7
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

As long as voice isn't the only input on the iWatch. The iPod Shuffle with VoiceOver sucked.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Crosscreek
macrumors 6502a

I'll be abel to talk into my watch like a G-Man 👀⌚️
Crosscreek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:27 PM   #9
nikko1423
macrumors newbie

The only problem with this article is that it doesn't tell us how he came to be so close to Tim... :P
nikko1423 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:27 PM   #10
furam90
macrumors regular

Voice messaging isn't going to catch on, it's just too awkward. People already do everything possible to avoid calling someone. Unless its urgent, messaging will be relegated to texts.
furam90 is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:27 PM   #11
McScooby
macrumors regular

Think it's more about carplay.
McScooby is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:27 PM   #12
NY Guitarist
macrumors 6502

'Talk to the hand'
NY Guitarist is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:27 PM   #13
ahlsn
macrumors member

Apple announced 22 new dictation languages at WWDC14. I think it's pretty clear where this is going.

Last edited by ahlsn; Jul 2, 2014 at 01:46 PM.
ahlsn is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:28 PM   #14
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by furam90 View Post
Voice messaging isn't going to catch on, it's just too awkward. People already do everything possible to avoid calling someone. Unless its urgent, messaging will be relegated to texts.
I think this is really meant to (finally) take over for the walkie-talkie "push to talk" functionality that used to be used all the time.
NT1440 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:29 PM   #15
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalindavenue View Post
So what you're saying is that tomorrow Samsung announces its Galaxy Gear IV Voice Message model?
Somehow this comment has gotten more tired than Safari is snappier, congrats
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:30 PM   #16
William Gates
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by furam90 View Post
You should change your handle to Jon Snow
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:31 PM   #17
chfilm
macrumors 6502a

this whole iwatch thing... I'm really wondering if it will be for me. I can't figure out at all what it would be good for, other than to please investors.
But maybe / hopefully I'm just in the dark and it will be a MUST HAVE gadget once it's out... Really curious!

Oh new smileys
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:32 PM   #18
macduke
macrumors 68030

I thought of this as soon as I saw the round interface for the feature in iOS 8. I imagine the iWatch being similar, with perhaps different swipe gestures activating various interface elements.

As for why people in China are using voice messaging: Have you seen their language? Yeah. I'd rather voice message too.

I actually think voice messaging makes more sense than texting but won't ever fully replace it. The voice has inflection (no more misinterpreting a period at the end of a sentence). A short message has the benefit of a text in that you don't get sucked into a conversation that would take more time, yet is less private in that other people can hear you talking out loud. But it's also easier to execute while multitasking. I think that each will have their place in our daily routine.
macduke is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:34 PM   #19
currentinterest
macrumors 6502

My guess is that texting in Mandarin may take more effort than texting in some other languages, particularly when walking down the street. If so, what might be true for China may not hold for other parts of the world.
currentinterest is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:35 PM   #20
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Tomorrow? They will announce it this afternoon.
Samsung Galaxy Gear V

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:35 PM   #21
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
WhatsApp had the ability to send voice text for months, if not years. Apple is late to the party here.

Last edited by Tiger8; Jul 2, 2014 at 03:13 PM.
Tiger8 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:37 PM   #22
Westernease
macrumors newbie

So then what's the little button just left of the space bar? I've been converting my voice to text for years now.
Westernease is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:38 PM   #23
furam90
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gates View Post
You should change your handle to Jon Snow
You think Voice messaging will catch on? People still get awkward about even using Siri in public. I just don't see talking briefly to your wrist being a popular method of communication.
furam90 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:39 PM   #24
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernease View Post
So then what's the little button just left of the space bar? I've been converting my voice to text for years now.
This isn't voice to text, it's just simply voice.
NT1440 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:40 PM   #25
Westernease
macrumors newbie

Yep, my bad. It would help if I learned how to read an article instead of just skimming it.
Westernease is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion