Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:33 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Mophie Adds 64 GB 'Space Pack' to Battery Case Lineup

Mophie today announced a new 64 GB version of its Space Pack for the iPhone 5 and 5s, which is currently available for pre-order on the company's website. First introduced in January of this year, the Mophie Space Pack is a 1700 mAh battery case that includes built-in storage.

The Space Pack aims to double the battery life of the iPhone while also increasing the built-in storage space. Originally only available in 16 and 32 GB capacities, the new 64 GB option doubles the storage space of Apple's highest capacity iPhone.

Using an accompanying Space app, the Space Pack can store photos, videos, music, and more. Accessing files does not require a data or Wi-Fi connection, and content like music and movies can be played directly from the Space app.

The 64 GB Mophie Space Pack, currently only available in black, can be pre-ordered from the Mophie website for $249.95.

Article Link: Mophie Adds 64 GB 'Space Pack' to Battery Case Lineup
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:35 PM   #2
Prof.
macrumors 601

$250?! No thanks! Especially since it'll be obsolete in 4 mos.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:35 PM   #3
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Ouch, that's almost as expensive as the 64GB iPod touch.
pgiguere1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:39 PM   #4
DShap5
macrumors 6502a

"For those times when you just have too much money, Space Pack is here!"
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:42 PM   #5
Intelligent
macrumors 6502a

Oh!! Cool, hopefully they will make it in other sizes if the iPhone gets bigger.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:44 PM   #6
macduke
macrumors 68030

16GB iPhone 5S: $199
64GB iPhone 5S: $399
-------------------------
Difference: $200

64GB Space Pack: $250

No thanks! Might as well get a 64GB 5S and battery case. Also the data storage isn't as useful as built-in storage. With iCloud getting massively bigger, more useful and cheaper in iOS 8—and data connections becoming faster—I'd rather just get that 200GB iCloud plan for $3.99/mo. Over two years that's about $96, and you get over three times the storage space. If you need storage space for trips where you don't have data (or can only get metered cellular data), get one of those special flash drives for your iPhone instead. They're a lot cheaper!
macduke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:44 PM   #7
pdaholic
macrumors regular

A friend of mine at work bought one of the 32gb versions. The case made her phone huge. I'm curious how it works. If the app can play avi's and other non-apple formats, might be nice to have the extra space while on vacation.
pdaholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShap5 View Post
"For those times when you just have too much money, Space Pack is here!"
Why not just buy two or three more phones? If you got the money, that would be much simpler.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:06 PM   #9
Zimmy68
macrumors 6502a

$250???

That is with a iPhone and a 2 year contract, right?

Tell me they are not selling a battery case with 64gigs for $250.
If so, where can I sign up to get into that racket???
Zimmy68 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:07 PM   #10
mcdspncr
macrumors member

Introducing the new Mophie Space (In your wallet) Pack...

Besides the pricing, I'm really curious how this behaves with native apps like photos and music. I've been expanding my storage with iFile and some big microSD cards, but it's less than ideal because of compatibility issues. Like the idea though!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:09 PM   #11
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macduke View Post
If you need storage space for trips where you don't have data (or can only get metered cellular data), get one of those special flash drives for your iPhone instead. They're a lot cheaper!
This is basically a special flash drive with a battery pack attached to it. That being said, I wasn't able to find any other (non-cloud, non-wireless) products that allowed you to have a total of 128 GB storage on an iPhone for cheaper.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:10 PM   #12
TheMTtakeover
macrumors 6502

I had the 32gb version. The app was terrible. I had to return it.
TheMTtakeover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:36 PM   #13
okwhatev
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdspncr View Post
Introducing the new Mophie Space (In your wallet) Pack...

Besides the pricing, I'm really curious how this behaves with native apps like photos and music. I've been expanding my storage with iFile and some big microSD cards, but it's less than ideal because of compatibility issues. Like the idea though!
I know you can do this with iPad, but I wasn't aware of a trick to get the Apple SD card reader to work with the iPhone. is there a new cydia tweak that does this?
okwhatev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:55 PM   #14
sunking101
macrumors 65816

Hmm, no thanks. Just buy more RAM when you get the phone, and either live with the battery life...or purchase a phone with a swappable battery, like the Samsung Galaxy S range.
sunking101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 03:32 PM   #15
bbotte
macrumors 65816

Pre-order? A case that is about to be obsolete with a new form factor from Apple due out in less than 90 days....

Here's an idea, let me pre-order a case that will fit the new 5.5 iPhone and have it ready on launch day.....
bbotte is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 03:59 PM   #16
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
$250?! No thanks! Especially since it'll be obsolete in 4 mos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbotte View Post
Pre-order? A case that is about to be obsolete with a new form factor from Apple due out in less than 90 days....

Here's an idea, let me pre-order a case that will fit the new 5.5 iPhone and have it ready on launch day.....
I'm genuinely curious. If a person buys this for a 5 or 5S, how is the Space Pack obsoleted? It's specifically for the 5/5S. If rumors are true about the iPhone size increase(s), there are a lot of people who may be getting a 5S. Plus there are a lot of people who will be holding on to their 5/5S.

If all the 5's and 5S' were going to suddenly disappear when the 6 is introduced, I might buy your argument. But $250? Damn!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 04:40 PM   #17
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mustang View Post
I'm genuinely curious. If a person buys this for a 5 or 5S, how is the Space Pack obsoleted? It's specifically for the 5/5S. If rumors are true about the iPhone size increase(s), there are a lot of people who may be getting a 5S. Plus there are a lot of people who will be holding on to their 5/5S.

If all the 5's and 5S' were going to suddenly disappear when the 6 is introduced, I might buy your argument. But $250? Damn!
Obviously because buying the latest and greatest is guaranteed to future-proof yourself, and buying anything else will lead to people pointing at you and calling you bad names.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 04:49 PM   #18
thedeejay
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mustang View Post

Well because the answer is simple. If you don't plan to buy an unannounced phone and plan to keep your current phone without buying the new iPhone then it's going to become obsolete and will stop working as soon as the new iPhone launches. Duh!
thedeejay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 05:15 PM   #19
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by macduke View Post
16GB iPhone 5S: $199
64GB iPhone 5S: $399
-------------------------
Difference: $200

64GB Space Pack: $250

No thanks! Might as well get a 64GB 5S and battery case.
Cost me a hundred bucks to add a 128GB micro SD to my Galaxy Note III, bringing it up to 160GB.

If you need space but don't want to be ripped off, perhaps look beyond the iPhone?
firestarter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 06:11 PM   #20
Traverse
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
This is basically a special flash drive with a battery pack attached to it. That being said, I wasn't able to find any other (non-cloud, non-wireless) products that allowed you to have a total of 128 GB storage on an iPhone for cheaper.
I don't get how this works? iOS allows this extra storage or is this just for things like photos? Can you actually store apps on it? iTunes content?
Traverse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 06:34 PM   #21
captain kaos
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaholic View Post
A friend of mine at work bought one of the 32gb versions. The case made her phone huge. I'm curious how it works. If the app can play avi's and other non-apple formats, might be nice to have the extra space while on vacation.
I don't think the pack has its own built in player, i guess anything stored on there still has to be played in QT. Also, AVIs! Old school and HUGE in size. You can get HD in many other formats that would be smaller than an AVI.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 07:56 PM   #22
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traverse View Post
I don't get how this works? iOS allows this extra storage or is this just for things like photos? Can you actually store apps on it? iTunes content?
Essentially it is just a flash drive that (as far as I'm aware)* only their app can access. You can play music/videos/view pictures from the app, and possibly send them to other apps (a docx file to Office for instance). You wouldn't be able to play videos bought from iTunes because they are DRM protected, and you wouldn't be able to sideload or store apps onto it because the app wouldn't be able to load external code (a limitation all apps have).

*It may be possible for other apps to be allowed access the storage, but I haven't looked at any APIs related to this sort of thing and I have no idea how they implement it in this case. Also, default apps (Music, Videos, etc.) wouldn't have access to it unless they magically decide to open it up in iOS 8/9 or later.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain kaos View Post
I don't think the pack has its own built in player, i guess anything stored on there still has to be played in QT. Also, AVIs! Old school and HUGE in size. You can get HD in many other formats that would be smaller than an AVI.
AVI is a container format which can contain a variety of video streams such as standard mp4, H.264, Theora, etc.

But yes, it will likely be heavily reliant on the QT engine, which means it probably has to at least be "compatible with iTunes".
Old Jul 2, 2014, 08:10 PM   #23
Traverse
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
Essentially it is just a flash drive that (as far as I'm aware)* only their app can access. You can play music/videos/view pictures from the app, and possibly send them to other apps (a docx file to Office for instance). You wouldn't be able to play videos bought from iTunes because they are DRM protected, and you wouldn't be able to sideload or store apps onto it because the app wouldn't be able to load external code (a limitation all apps have).

*It may be possible for other apps to be allowed access the storage, but I haven't looked at any APIs related to this sort of thing and I have no idea how they implement it in this case. Also, default apps (Music, Videos, etc.) wouldn't have access to it unless they magically decide to open it up in iOS 8/9 or later.[COLOR="#808080"]
Oh, that makes more sense. Thanks!
Traverse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 08:24 PM   #24
pdaholic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain kaos View Post
Good point, most of my stuff these days is in mkv or mp4.
pdaholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:25 PM   #25
fallenjt
macrumors regular

Ask me if I'm even interested for half of that price. Please.
fallenjt is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion