Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbatts51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Lockport NY
Hi, thank you for reading.
I have a home network with Time Warner Cable Ubee modem router for high speed internet access. The system worked fine until a few days ago when I lost my wireless printer. I have an iMAC, MacBook and a Win 7 PC connected plus a Lexmark X7675 printer. The printer works fine on the MacBook and Win 7 computers but I lost access with my primary machine, the iMAC. Second thing is I lost the other 2 computers, I cannot see them and they cannot see me. I'm running OS 10.9.3 up to date as far as I know. I cleared out the printer section in preferences plus ran a disk verify permissions and repair. I did have a printer error in permissions when I did this but it did not correct the problem. When I try to add the printer back it cannot see any printers. I try to add by IP and it tells me I cannot see any printers although it does recognize it is a Lexmark printer.
I'm really stuck on this one, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Russ

shiekh

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
Don't know if this helps, but I had a somewhat similar problem a few weeks back; my provider had limited the number of IPs issued to one, and I needed to put in a router running NAT (Network Address Translation) to run my home network through one IP. At first I used the router on one of my Wi-Fi units, till I got a wired router for this purpose.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Two things to check. Have you rebooted the modem/router? The one you have is a fairly crappy device. Secondly, are you sure you're connecting to your network? My wife had a problem printing once and it turned out she was connected to our neighbor's wifi.

Most ISP supplied routers are worthless. Best thing to do on them is to disable the router and pass through the connection to a decent router.

rbatts51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Lockport NY
Don't know if this helps, but I had a somewhat similar problem a few weeks back; my provider had limited the number of IPs issued to one, and I needed to put in a router running NAT (Network Address Translation) to run my home network through one IP. At first I used the router on one of my Wi-Fi units, till I got a wired router for this purpose.

As far as I know my ISP has not changed the number of IPs available to me. When everything is running I have about 12 devices connected on the network. This problem just happened. Thanks for your reply

----------

Two things to check. Have you rebooted the modem/router? The one you have is a fairly crappy device. Secondly, are you sure you're connecting to your network? My wife had a problem printing once and it turned out she was connected to our neighbor's wifi.

Most ISP supplied routers are worthless. Best thing to do on them is to disable the router and pass through the connection to a decent router.

I'm positive I am connect to my wifi network. I do not have any other networks close enough to my home plus I have WPA. The ubee is a high speed modem router all in one unit. I'm not sure I could by pass the router if I wanted to. Thanks for your reply.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
[/COLOR] The ubee is a high speed modem router all in one unit. I'm not sure I could by pass the router if I wanted to. Thanks for your reply.[/QUOTE]

Normally it can be done. You need access to the setup screens of the unit. Try googling its product name/number/maker and see what you find. Sometimes the ISP tries to lock this down but there are always installer cheat codes to bypass this.

rbatts51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Lockport NY
[/COLOR] The ubee is a high speed modem router all in one unit. I'm not sure I could by pass the router if I wanted to. Thanks for your reply.

Normally it can be done. You need access to the setup screens of the unit. Try googling its product name/number/maker and see what you find. Sometimes the ISP tries to lock this down but there are always installer cheat codes to bypass this.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I will do that.

btdpi007

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
North Carolina
I can offer some insight as I has nothing but bad issues using the Ubee router function of the modem/router combo unit. Apple TVs, OSX server, etc. would not work properly, I logged into the Ubee, set to bridge mode, and connected my older Airport Extreme and everything began to work as it should.

If this is the route you'd like to take, log into the modem (should be) 198.168.0.1, user name is last 8 digits of modem's MAC address (no colons), and the password is c0nf1gur3m3.

rbatts51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Lockport NY
I can offer some insight as I has nothing but bad issues using the Ubee router function of the modem/router combo unit. Apple TVs, OSX server, etc. would not work properly, I logged into the Ubee, set to bridge mode, and connected my older Airport Extreme and everything began to work as it should.

If this is the route you'd like to take, log into the modem (should be) 198.168.0.1, user name is last 8 digits of modem's MAC address (no colons), and the password is c0nf1gur3m3.

Thank you for the reply. Sorry it has taken so long to reply. I tried the userid and password as you suggested but it did not like the combination. I tried several combinations but it still did not like anything I tried. I also realized I lost my picture server as well as the printer. I am leaning towards getting a new modem router from the cable guy. I cannot see any other reason why it's not working.

rbatts51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Lockport NY
Thank you for the reply. Sorry it has taken so long to reply. I tried the userid and password as you suggested but it did not like the combination. I tried several combinations but it still did not like anything I tried. I also realized I lost my picture server as well as the printer. I am leaning towards getting a new modem router from the cable guy. I cannot see any other reason why it's not working.

Not sure why but today the combination that you suggested worked. I must have fat fingered a letter or something. I can now access the router so when I return from my trip I will try to bridge using a new router. If that works I will call for a new modem from the cable guy.
thank you for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.