Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:12 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

2.5-Inch iWatch Concept With Curved, Rectangular Display Demoed in New Video

Two weeks ago, Reuters released a report suggesting the iWatch's screen might measure in at 2.5-inches diagonally. The rumor came as a bit of a shock, because previous reports had all pointed towards a device with a much smaller display, in the range of 1.3 to 1.7 inches.

Previous concept images and videos have all centered on designs with smaller screens in line with past rumors, but SET Solution has created a new concept video demoing what a 2.5-inch iWatch might look like.

While it is hard to determine the size of the watch in the concept video given the lack of a reference point like a wrist, the slight curve to the display and the rectangular shape are also design details that were provided by Reuters. According to the site, the iWatch will protrude slightly from the band to create an arch shape that will fit around a wrist, and the face is expected to be "slightly rectangular."

Very little is known about the iWatch's user interface and operating system, aside from rumors suggesting that it will run a version of iOS 8. The iPhone-style app display in the video is pure speculation, as are the device's dimensions and battery life.

In addition to a 2.5-inch display size, the iWatch may also be available in smaller variations, as rumors have pointed towards multiple sizes and styles to fit a wide array of fashion preferences. The device is also expected to include multiple health and fitness sensors, wireless charging, and access to features like Messages and notifications through iPhone/iPad integration. Currently, rumors are pointing towards an October release date for the device.

Article Link: 2.5-Inch iWatch Concept With Curved, Rectangular Display Demoed in New Video
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:14 PM   #2
joejoejoe
macrumors 65816

let's hold hands and pray that the iwatch isn't that large
joejoejoe is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:15 PM   #3
farewelwilliams
macrumors regular

All these concepts are just trying to recreate the iOS on the wrist. The moment you try to set out on that goal, it just doesn't work.

I'd be disappointed if my iWatch was just iOS with health sensors.
farewelwilliams is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:15 PM   #4
edk99
macrumors 6502a

Wow. You might as well just slap a iPhone 4 on your wrist. Way to big.
edk99 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:16 PM   #5
SandboxGeneral

That's a really cool looking concept video.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:19 PM   #6
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
6.1 cm is way too big, it even won't fit many/most guys wrists.

Edit: In the video it's 6.1/2.54 = 2.4 "

Last edited by justperry; Jul 2, 2014 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Grammar
justperry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:19 PM   #7
rmatthewware
macrumors 6502

iWatch. It's watching you...
rmatthewware is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:19 PM   #8
J4B3
macrumors member

I'm starting to have my doubts. I know this is a concept, but 6 day battery life in a profile of THAT size hmmm. If Apple can't 'get it right' they just won't do it, and if the early reviews of Android Wear are any indication -- they aren't worried yet.

I'm beginning to prepare myself for the biggest gasp of 2014 when they announce the iPhone 6 and there's no 'One More Thing.'

How is it possible for there to be zero leaks whatsoever if it really were to launch in October. Best kept "secret" since the 2007 iPhone.
J4B3 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:20 PM   #9
creanium
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by farewelwilliams View Post
All these concepts are just trying to recreate the iOS on the wrist. The moment you try to set out on that goal, it just doesn't work.

Agreed.

Remember in 2006 when people making "iPhone Concepts" were all convinced it would just be a big iPod that can make phone calls?

creanium is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:20 PM   #10
ominx
macrumors 6502

The idea that the iWatch will be a miniaturized iOS device is off base. I see the device using a set of APIs similar to CarPlay. Yes it will have sensors, etc., but it will essentially mirror data from the iPhone in a very set and well defined manner. I think we can safely assume the "app grid" will not be making its way to the watch face.
ominx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:21 PM   #11
bushido
macrumors 603

yeah no thx you that doesnt deserve to be called a "watch"
bushido is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:22 PM   #12
ensee
macrumors member

I'm sure a lot of the iPhone concepts which floated about before it was announced in 2007 were basically iPod derivatives. This is what's happening again. Mini iPhones for your wrist. I really hope it's something more original.
ensee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:27 PM   #13
NewtypeCJ
macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I don't want a watch that does the same things my phone does. I'd love having a watch that shows the time and indicates GENERALLY if I've received important text messages/emails (Subject/Sender) or calendar alerts. But I don't want to interact with a watch all the time for everything I do with my phone.

I'd much rather a watch track my steps, activity, heart rate, that kind of thing, and offer some utility in terms of showing me important things. But the minute my watch is telling me it's time to check the crops in Farmville all is lost.
NewtypeCJ is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:30 PM   #14
Zoboomafoo
macrumors regular

Can't imagine apple'd fundamentally change the paging interaction, as shown here, to swipe up/down instead of left/right. For a lot of reasons.

But the video is pretty.
Zoboomafoo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:32 PM   #15
dBeats
macrumors 6502

This is the concept for the new Galaxy Gear 3 AMOLED/Hyper Active/XXZR4Ti....S That's actually Tizen, which they are skinning to look exactly like iOS. I will be called tiOSen SS+UltraHD_Mark ZVXZ Premium Edition. Rolls off the tongue right?
dBeats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:35 PM   #16
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Can't be legit. No duct tape.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:41 PM   #17
nikhsub1
macrumors 68000

No way apple is going to just do a mini iPhone for the wrist. If they do it will be named iphail
nikhsub1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:46 PM   #18
Boatboy24
macrumors 6502

Ummmm, no.
Boatboy24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:46 PM   #19
SmoMo
macrumors regular

What an aweful watch, the accuracy is appalling!

My $5 Casio is accurate to about +/- 10 seconds.

That watch is out by over 7 hours !!!!!

Still, I'll probably queue up for it anyway..
SmoMo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:47 PM   #20
GeneralChang
macrumors 6502

The video was all right, but did anyone else think the music was just tops? I also liked their logo at the end. Good stuff.
GeneralChang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:48 PM   #21
UnfetteredMind
macrumors 6502

That doesn't look "slightly rectangular" to my eyes. Along with many others here, I'm hoping Apple's concept is much better than slapping iOS as done on the iPhone onto one's wrist.
UnfetteredMind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:59 PM   #22
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Lamest concept yet, and that's saying a lot.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
While it is hard to determine the size of the watch in the concept video given the lack of a reference point like a wrist
And do you know why? Because it has no size. Because it's a concept video. It does not exist.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 03:00 PM   #23
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Where the hell do all these things come from? Do people do them to show off their ability to make marketing videos or something? These things look like they take tremendous amounts of time to create. Of course, MacRumors loves showing off these things, too ("demoed" is probably not appropriate).
Old Jul 2, 2014, 03:02 PM   #24
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreetmark View Post
Where the hell do all these things come from? Do people do them to show off their ability to make marketing videos or something? These things look like they take tremendous amounts of time to create. Of course, MacRumors loves showing off these things, too ("demoed" is probably not appropriate).
I believe many of them are actual final student projects.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 03:19 PM   #25
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by farewelwilliams View Post
I half agree with you... but then again... back in early Jan of 2010 I would have agreed with "I'd be disappointed if my iTablet was just iPhone OS with a larger screen" but that's exactly what Apple did and they made it work with the simplicity. I can easily see Apple doing the same thing with the iWatch (especially if the 2.5" screen is accurate). Adjust a few apps, take out a few apps, add a few apps, add some sensors, and bam iOS on a wrist. I mean that's exactly what they are doing in the car.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ominx View Post
I think we can safely assume the "app grid" will not be making its way to the watch face.
You sure about that? The iPod Nano is 2.5" and it has an app grid ( and it's not even running iOS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
No way apple is going to just do a mini iPhone for the wrist. If they do it will be named iphail
A couple months ago I would have agreed with you, but the more I think about it the more it makes sense and the more "Apple" it seems to me. If it's 1.3-1.7" then no way, but if it's 2.5" I can easily see them doing that.
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion