Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft, like Google, Apple, and Samsung, has been working on its own wrist-worn device for more than a year. While early rumors suggested the device would be a smart watch with a 1.5-inch display, a new report from Windows blogger Paul Thurrott suggests that Microsoft's project is actually more of a fitness band than a smart watch.

More akin to the band-style Samsung Gear Fit than the watch-style Galaxy Gear, Microsoft's band is said to have a wristband form factor that's able to display smart phone-based notifications. Like the offerings from Samsung and Apple's rumored iWatch, the band is expected to include several different sensors, tracking fitness metrics like calories burned, heart rate, and more.

gearfit.jpg
Samsung's Gear Fit
Unlike other products from Apple, Google, and Samsung, however, Microsoft is said to be designing its smart wristband to be cross platform, working not only with Windows devices, but also iOS and Android. Given Microsoft's small share of the smartphone and tablet market in comparison to Android and iOS, it's a smart move for the company.
From a differentiation standpoint, Microsoft's wearable will do something that no other wearable platform does. It will work with everything and not just the device maker's smart phone platform. Where Samsung wearables only work with Samsung phones, Android Wear devices only work with modern Android devices, and Apple's rumored iWatch will obviously only work with iPhone, Microsoft will take a different approach. It will work with Android, iPhone and Windows Phone.
According to Thurrott, Microsoft's smart wristband will be priced similarly to Samsung's smart watch offerings, which start at $199. It is expected to be released during the fourth quarter of 2014, suggesting it might launch in the same timeframe as Apple's iWatch. Currently, rumors indicate the iWatch will launch in October of 2014, with 10 different health-related sensors and wireless charging.

Pricing on Apple's iWatch remains a mystery, but rumors have pointed towards multiple sizes and designs at several different price points.

Article Link: Microsoft Working on Fitness Band Compatible With Windows, iOS

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
surface pro 3 is a great piece of hardware.

although, I am really don't expect microsoft to do anything at all with this fit band that will capture my attention

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
who cares, like all their hardware it will be subpar.

I disagree, I like their mice - a lot, and their keyboards used to be quite good too. Also the Surface 3 apparently is pretty impressive by the build quality, too bad it most likely will flop again.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I disagree, I like their mice - a lot, and their keyboards used to be quite good too. Also the Surface 3 apparently is pretty impressive by the build quality, too bad it most likely will flop again.
Still seams fat and clunky to me.

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
LaForge Visor

For some reason when I saw this, I thought it was headwear and someone was making a real life LaForge visor.

Now that would be cool.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
LOL 2014/2015... year(s) of the wearable... Everyone and their uncle seem to be getting into this space. I guess that's good, as everyone can lay their cards on the table and we'll see which great features stick around for round 2.

RoccoFan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Fatty Boom Boom

Anyone else find it interesting that all these companies are investing all this money in fitness related equipment in a country/world that is getting more and more sedentary?

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Anyone else find it interesting that all these companies are investing all this money in fitness related equipment in a country/world that is getting more and more sedentary?

Speak for your city/self. I live in a pretty health conscious state/city.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Just another Me Too product.

You have that right. If they extend their tile interface to a watch face, they are asking for a lot of trouble.

As long as there are Ctrl, Alt and Del buttons on the watch face, it will be useable.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada

I agree! I'm very interested to see what Apple's watch will be (and others as well).

I see people out walking, running, biking and going to the gym every day. It's nice to see.

I'd like to see more of that from the younger kids (sub-15 etc..). Alot of chubby kids who don't get enough exercise, but that's another topic :)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Yeah, I actually seeing it going both ways - there’s certainly many overweight/obese people, but I’m also seeing a surge in people engaged in fitness activities. I see more and more folks running, cycling, SUP/Kayaking, entering Tri/IMs, lifting, Crossfit, eating at healthy restaurants, etc.

Seems like pretty good timing on “health devices”, compounded by phones kind of peaking in terms of features.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I'm sorry but these companies are soooo annoying Lol . Once one does something, the rest scramble and release their own versions, but they end up doing nothing revolutionary .

How is it possible that companies can come out with their own versions so fast ? Do they all know what each other are working on ?

The tech industry is great, but it seems so boring at the same time .

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Sigh. iWatch has been known to be in development for at least 2 years, probably more. Just because other people rush something out to beat Apple to the punch...

You mean iWatch has been rumored to have been in development. :)

bean dip

macrumors member
May 2, 2013
Sigh. iWatch has been known to be in development for at least 2 years, probably more. Just because other people rush something out to beat Apple to the punch...
lol. If you want to get into that Microsoft had a watch many moons ago. In fact, Microsoft will probably make more in royalty patents from android and spoke because they own pretty much every wearable patent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.