Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 3, 2014, 04:56 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Report Claims September 25 Launch for iPhone 6, 16GB 5.5-Inch 'iPhone Air'

Apple will look to announce the iPhone 6 on Monday, September 15th ahead of a launch on Thursday, September 25, according to various Chinese media reports citing "inside sources" (Google Translate, via GForGames). The sources also claim that the larger 5.5-inch iPhone will be called the "iPhone Air", with the 16GB version selling in China for 5,998 yuan ($965). Meanwhile, the 4.7-inch version will reportedly start at 5,288 ($850) for 32GB, which is the current price of the 16GB iPhone 5s in China.

The report contrasts with a story from Chinese web portal Tencent last month claiming that Apple would launch the 4.7-inch iPhone on Friday, September 19, which would be in line with the past two iPhone launches. Apple typically launches new products on a Friday, while a Thursday launch would be unlikely.

Furthermore, Apple abandoning the 16 GB model on the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 would make it likely that the company does not include such an option on the bigger 5.5-inch version. A report from Wei Feng last month noted that Apple would offer a 128GB variant only for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6, stating that the storage size difference would act as a major differentiator between both models. It is possible that Apple may call the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 the iPhone Air, as suppliers were once rumored to be using that name when referring to the device.

It is unknown whether Apple will launch both the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 simultaneously. Bloomberg claimed last month that company would be doing so, as previous reports noted issues with display technology and battery life would delay the device's launch.

Aside from a larger display, the iPhone 6 is expected to come with a thinner profile, a faster A8 processor, and other new features. The camera of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 is also said to feature an optical image stabilization system, while the smaller 4.7-inch iPhone will use a new lens module.

Article Link: Report Claims September 25 Launch for iPhone 6, 16GB 5.5-Inch 'iPhone Air'
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 04:59 AM   #2
DrFu79
macrumors member

Too early, Apple. Cannot yet justify another one.
My interest in new iPhones plateaued after the 4S, which is still my daily driver.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 04:59 AM   #3
iPhone7ate9
macrumors 6502

Wow some of these rumors are totally terrible.
iPhone7ate9 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 04:59 AM   #4
zz2k9
macrumors newbie

At least it isn't another mockup rumor.
zz2k9 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:00 AM   #5
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFu79 View Post
My interest in new iPhones plateaued after the 4S, which is still my daily driver.
Good to know, i guess.

As for me, bring on the new iPhones.
saving107 is online now   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:00 AM   #6
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFu79 View Post
too early? the iPhone 4S is a million years old in technology years
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:00 AM   #7
SMIDG3T
macrumors 65816

So a 16GB model for the 5.5-inch but not for the smaller 4.7-inch? Is that what's coming from this "report"?

Also the bigger phone will be called the "iPhone Air" but the 4.7-inch (which will be lighter) won't be called that?

Makes no sense to me.

MacBook Pro w/ Retina display | Late 2013 Model | OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 8
SMIDG3T is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:01 AM   #8
Icaras
macrumors 601

Hmmm....When was the last time Apple released the iPhone on a Thursday?
Icaras is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:03 AM   #9
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Air is a good name for this product as that is the location of the origin of these rumours. Wait there's more. The 5.5 inch iPhone is going to be thin.

The rumours are about a 'thin air' . Get it? The rumours came out of thin air.

I'm good.
I need a new phone, One that won't make me sick, One that won't make me crash my car, Or make me feel three feet thick, One that won't hurt my head, One that won't make me nervous,Wondering what to do
RobertMartens is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:03 AM   #10
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIDG3T View Post
So a 16GB model for the 5.5-inch but not for the smaller 4.7-inch? Is that what's coming from this "report"?

Also the bigger phone will be called the "iPhone Air" but the 4.7-inch (which will be lighter) won't be called that?

Makes no sense to me.
Look at the current iPads (iPad Air and iPad mini).
saving107 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:04 AM   #11
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
too early? the iPhone 4S is a million years old in technology years
but only 21 years in dog years!
I need a new phone, One that won't make me sick, One that won't make me crash my car, Or make me feel three feet thick, One that won't hurt my head, One that won't make me nervous,Wondering what to do
RobertMartens is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:05 AM   #12
iolinux333
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by saving107 View Post
Look at the current iPads (iPad Air and iPad mini).
Iphone Air and iPhone Air mini retina!
iolinux333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:07 AM   #13
graycrow
macrumors member

Looks like 5.5" iPhone will be too expensive, even by Apple standards, so they must have 16GB model for better sales. I think this 16GB version is a "new 8GB" for a markets with low buying power.
graycrow is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:08 AM   #14
maflynn

iPhone Air - jeez, I don't know about the name. I think apple is over-using that, if it turns out to be true.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:11 AM   #15
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:
the entry model of the 5.5-inch would probably be to expensive otherwise. you know how much apple charges for flash memory
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:14 AM   #16
rhinosrcool
macrumors 65816

For the 5.5, the camera could be pretty sweet (at least for a phone).
rhinosrcool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:17 AM   #17
apolloa
macrumors 601

This story is utter BS, the flagship phone starts with 16GB whilst the next model down starts with 32GB????

Yeah Riiiggghhhhtttttt.....

And as for iPhone Air? They'll be more likely to call it the iPad Nano.
apolloa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:18 AM   #18
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:

Makes no sense to me.
What I find weird about the "Air" moniker is that Apple use it for their top-end iPad and their bottom-end laptop. In marketing terms, I'd have thought that's a mistake - are you trying to make Air a premium, quality name or an affordable, value name?

Even if you say it's more about the thinness & lightness of the device not market positioning - the new phones are likely to be the biggest and perhaps heaviest iPhones, so why call them "Air"?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:18 AM   #19
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a

These new iPhones are going to sell like nothing we've seen before with severe shortages for many months.
dumastudetto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:23 AM   #20
atmc
macrumors member

What about the new 4-inch iPhone 6? Don't care about bigger sizes.
atmc is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:32 AM   #21
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinosrcool View Post
For the 5.5, the camera could be pretty sweet (at least for a phone).
Not really, since the phone will be so thin.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:33 AM   #22
tearzyo
macrumors newbie

That's way too expensive for a Phone. You can get a huge TV for the same price, including shipping. You can even get a Macbook for that price.

5.5 32GB model should be the same price as the iPhone 5S today, and 4.7 32GB should cost 100$ less. That's the way to approach the market. Otherwise I'll go Andoid and buy 2x galaxy S5 for the same price.

<-- loyal apple customer
tearzyo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:35 AM   #23
sofila
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumastudetto View Post
These new iPhones are going to sell like nothing we've seen before with severe shortages for many months.
just remember that you're not going to buy it, as you clearly stated 11 months ago in your 8th post Aug 29, 2013, 12:25 PM
sofila is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:37 AM   #24
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
In the end, I personally think this will be the new iPhone product line as of October 1, 2014:

iPhone 5C -- now with iPhone 5S internals plus Touch ID sensor. Will look like current iPhone 5C, including the current case color choices. 1 GB RAM, 16 or 32 GB internal storage.

iPhone 6 -- new 4.7" model with A8 system on a chip (SoC), 2 GB RAM, 32 or 64 GB internal storage.

iPhone 6 Air -- new 5.5" model with A8 SoC, 2 GB RAM, 32, 64 or 128 GB internal storage. Will include rear image sensor (8 megapixel resolution) with optical image stabilization.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:38 AM   #25
lewisd25
macrumors 6502

I think the report could be partly accurate...new iPhones get released in the U.S. on the 19th, and China on the 25th.
lewisd25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion