Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will look to announce the iPhone 6 on Monday, September 15th ahead of a launch on Thursday, September 25, according to various Chinese media reports citing "inside sources" (Google Translate, via GForGames). The sources also claim that the larger 5.5-inch iPhone will be called the "iPhone Air", with the 16GB version selling in China for 5,998 yuan ($965). Meanwhile, the 4.7-inch version will reportedly start at 5,288 ($850) for 32GB, which is the current price of the 16GB iPhone 5s in China.

iphone_6_55_mockup_hand.jpg
The report contrasts with a story from Chinese web portal Tencent last month claiming that Apple would launch the 4.7-inch iPhone on Friday, September 19, which would be in line with the past two iPhone launches. Apple typically launches new products on a Friday, while a Thursday launch would be unlikely.

Furthermore, Apple abandoning the 16 GB model on the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 would make it likely that the company does not include such an option on the bigger 5.5-inch version. A report from Wei Feng last month noted that Apple would offer a 128GB variant only for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6, stating that the storage size difference would act as a major differentiator between both models. It is possible that Apple may call the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 the iPhone Air, as suppliers were once rumored to be using that name when referring to the device.

It is unknown whether Apple will launch both the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 simultaneously. Bloomberg claimed last month that company would be doing so, as previous reports noted issues with display technology and battery life would delay the device's launch.

Aside from a larger display, the iPhone 6 is expected to come with a thinner profile, a faster A8 processor, and other new features. The camera of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 is also said to feature an optical image stabilization system, while the smaller 4.7-inch iPhone will use a new lens module.

Article Link: Report Claims September 25 Launch for iPhone 6, 16GB 5.5-Inch 'iPhone Air'

DrFu79

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
Norway
Too early, Apple. Cannot yet justify another one.
My interest in new iPhones plateaued after the 4S, which is still my daily driver.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
So a 16GB model for the 5.5-inch but not for the smaller 4.7-inch? Is that what's coming from this "report"?

Also the bigger phone will be called the "iPhone Air" but the 4.7-inch (which will be lighter) won't be called that?

Makes no sense to me.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Hmmm....When was the last time Apple released the iPhone on a Thursday?

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Air is a good name for this product as that is the location of the origin of these rumours. Wait there's more. The 5.5 inch iPhone is going to be thin.

The rumours are about a 'thin air' . Get it? The rumours came out of thin air.

I'm good.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
So a 16GB model for the 5.5-inch but not for the smaller 4.7-inch? Is that what's coming from this "report"?

Also the bigger phone will be called the "iPhone Air" but the 4.7-inch (which will be lighter) won't be called that?

Makes no sense to me.

Look at the current iPads (iPad Air and iPad mini).

graycrow

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
Prague, Czech Republic
Looks like 5.5" iPhone will be too expensive, even by Apple standards, so they must have 16GB model for better sales. I think this 16GB version is a "new 8GB" for a markets with low buying power.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
iPhone Air - jeez, I don't know about the name. I think apple is over-using that, if it turns out to be true.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

the entry model of the 5.5-inch would probably be to expensive otherwise. you know how much apple charges for flash memory

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

Makes no sense to me.

What I find weird about the "Air" moniker is that Apple use it for their top-end iPad and their bottom-end laptop. In marketing terms, I'd have thought that's a mistake - are you trying to make Air a premium, quality name or an affordable, value name?

Even if you say it's more about the thinness & lightness of the device not market positioning - the new phones are likely to be the biggest and perhaps heaviest iPhones, so why call them "Air"?

tearzyo

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2014
That's way too expensive for a Phone. You can get a huge TV for the same price, including shipping. You can even get a Macbook for that price.

5.5 32GB model should be the same price as the iPhone 5S today, and 4.7 32GB should cost 100$ less. That's the way to approach the market. Otherwise I'll go Andoid and buy 2x galaxy S5 for the same price.

<-- loyal apple customer

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
In the end, I personally think this will be the new iPhone product line as of October 1, 2014:

iPhone 5C -- now with iPhone 5S internals plus Touch ID sensor. Will look like current iPhone 5C, including the current case color choices. 1 GB RAM, 16 or 32 GB internal storage.

iPhone 6 -- new 4.7" model with A8 system on a chip (SoC), 2 GB RAM, 32 or 64 GB internal storage.

iPhone 6 Air -- new 5.5" model with A8 SoC, 2 GB RAM, 32, 64 or 128 GB internal storage. Will include rear image sensor (8 megapixel resolution) with optical image stabilization.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
I think the report could be partly accurate...new iPhones get released in the U.S. on the 19th, and China on the 25th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.