Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPamplin

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Nashville, TN
Oh come on!

The i7 has a faster video subsystem, I think, but if nothing else, the model will have more "legs." I say buy the high end now, and it will pay for itself in 1-2 years more of future functionality that still runs well on that hardware.

I just bought a used i7 / 8GB / 512GB 2013 MBA and I couldn't be happier. I think it will last several years. Until they scrap Intel CPUs and move to ARM chips - I think that will happen. You?

I should have got the i7 so that I could use imessage and the calculator app.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Oh come on!

The i7 has a faster video subsystem, I think, but if nothing else, the model will have more "legs." I say buy the high end now, and it will pay for itself in 1-2 years more of future functionality that still runs well on that hardware.

I just bought a used i7 / 8GB / 512GB 2013 MBA and I couldn't be happier. I think it will last several years. Until they scrap Intel CPUs and move to ARM chips - I think that will happen. You?

You know it was sarcasm:) Nothing at all wrong with i7 if it's truly needed. Way too many users get way more machine than they need though. I think ARM is a possibility down the line. The technology will definitely be there, it's just a matter of if Apple wants to part ways with Intel.

Congrats on the new machine though, sounds sweet!

JPamplin

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Nashville, TN
Totally knew it was sarcasm, but you illustrate an interesting point. The guy I bought this MBA from (it has Applecare until June 2016 too - $900) was a biker that just thought he should max out everything. He paid $2200 for the damn thing. He sold it to me for less than half a year later. Had to jump on that.

So you're right. So many buy far more than they need. Me? I buy the best I can when it's a stupid good deal.

And yes, I'm REALLY liking the battery life on this beast. 12 hours is still about right, even though it's a year old. It had 50 charge cycles on it.

You know it was sarcasm:) Nothing at all wrong with i7 if it's truly needed. Way too many users get way more machine than they need though. I think ARM is a possibility down the line. The technology will definitely be there, it's just a matter of if Apple wants to part ways with Intel.

Congrats on the new machine though, sounds sweet!

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
I have never made a post to this waste of space thread (till now) yet i and subscribed…… so I am making this so I can choose no subscription from the selections.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
these days i will never buy MBA or rMBP with less then 8GB, spacial that you can't upgrade in the future...

PS - while writing this, i only had Safari open with 5 tabs, and 3.5GB was gone...

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
while writing this, i only had Safari open with 5 tabs, and 3.5GB was gone...
... They were gone and they never came back.
6a01348745e23f970c015433000a37970c-pi

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Totally knew it was sarcasm, but you illustrate an interesting point. The guy I bought this MBA from (it has Applecare until June 2016 too - $900) was a biker that just thought he should max out everything. He paid $2200 for the damn thing. He sold it to me for less than half a year later. Had to jump on that.

So you're right. So many buy far more than they need. Me? I buy the best I can when it's a stupid good deal.

And yes, I'm REALLY liking the battery life on this beast. 12 hours is still about right, even though it's a year old. It had 50 charge cycles on it.

That's a ridiculously good deal! I would have bought it without thinking twice! That machine should last you for a good long time providing you don't get the itch to upgrade! I stayed with a base model for two reasons. One it's all the power I need and two, I wanted to be able to upgrade in 2 or 3 years without feeling like I waisted any money. I feel like the deal I got on my machine was good(975 for a base model 13 inch late 2013 rMBP). I don't currently have Apple Care, but may add it towards the end of my first year if it looks like I will keep the machine for another 2 years. I am excited to see what comes of the rumored retina MBA.

They are all great machines, whether it be the Air or Pro line. But seriously, the deal you got was sick!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.