Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
My car stereo has a AUX input that I had wired to a 1/4" jack that plugged into my TomTom car kit. Now that I'm using an iPhone 5 it means extra cable clutter and remembering to plug it in when I get in the car. I know...such terrible problems.

I'm looking for a bluetoth adapter that will do the following:
-connect to a 12v car power plug
-has 1/4" audio jack to plug into my stereo
-longish cables so I can install it in the center console (I tapped into a power line and have a 12v car plug and the stereo AUX cables hidden away under the upholder)
-the best quality audio, I'm not sure if one flavor of bluetooth offers better audio
-low power usage, I don't want to drain my battery
-ideally the ability to connect to two devices at once, or at least make it easy to switch. If my phone is used for navigation and voice prompting over the stereo my wife may want to play her music at the same time. Not a big deal and probably not a good idea. (Turn your music down, i can't hear Siri tell me where to go!!)

Some I've found:
Kinivo BTC450 - This could be it.
iClever® IC-BTR01
Mpow
HomeSpot - Another strong candidate

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
My car stereo has a AUX input that I had wired to a 1/4" jack that plugged into my TomTom car kit. Now that I'm using an iPhone 5 it means extra cable clutter and remembering to plug it in when I get in the car. I know...such terrible problems.

I'm looking for a bluetoth adapter that will do the following:
-connect to a 12v car power plug
-has 1/4" audio jack to plug into my stereo
-longish cables so I can install it in the center console (I tapped into a power line and have a 12v car plug and the stereo AUX cables hidden away under the upholder)
-the best quality audio, I'm not sure if one flavor of bluetooth offers better audio
-low power usage, I don't want to drain my battery
-ideally the ability to connect to two devices at once, or at least make it easy to switch. If my phone is used for navigation and voice prompting over the stereo my wife may want to play her music at the same time. Not a big deal and probably not a good idea. (Turn your music down, i can't hear Siri tell me where to go!!)

Some I've found:
Kinivo BTC450 - This could be it.
iClever® IC-BTR01
Mpow
HomeSpot - Another strong candidate

The first one on your list looks most promising. I noticed that there were a couple of others that had visor clips but they were rechargeable. I'd prefer one that had a cigar lighter plug to one that might run out of juice in the middle of a call so I think the one you picked as the strongest candidate is the best choice. Check out the reviews on Amazon before you buy. There are almost always a few cranky reviewers but if the reviews are all negative and cranky it's a bad sign.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I bought this Belkin model for my daughter and it seems to work well with her iPhone. The higher up (closer to your mouth) you can mount the microphone the better it works. It looks very similar to that Kinivo model you linked.

crobledo

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2014
I recently got this guy, and it has performed like a dream

GOgroove Smartmini

auto-shuts off when long enough without paired device, simply press button to wake. Microphone to take calls and use siri works great. Super small, fits right on top of AUX, or you can use the base/cable that come with if you want it closer. But I have mine on the center console and works great from there.

Battery good so far. Had it for 2 weeks and out-of-the-box power hasn't even run out yet.

daze

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
San Jose, California
I recently got this guy, and it has performed like a dream

GOgroove Smartmini

auto-shuts off when long enough without paired device, simply press button to wake. Microphone to take calls and use siri works great. Super small, fits right on top of AUX, or you can use the base/cable that come with if you want it closer. But I have mine on the center console and works great from there.

Battery good so far. Had it for 2 weeks and out-of-the-box power hasn't even run out yet.
I think I'll pick up one too!

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Just got this off Amazon - Kinivo BTC450 - Works fine but don't expect any device to work in Hi Quality with FaceTime Audio, it sounds like AM, bummer and it's a Apple issue it seems not BT.

----------

this device will do want you want by setting up a local wifi network in your car so you stream your audio via airplay. the sound seems to be much better(than bluetooth) to my ears in my prius with a factory system.

http://airenabler.qnology.com/

This looks interesting but won't play your notifications, or do navigation SIRI or FaceTime as I don't believe Airplay supports that.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Just got this off Amazon - Kinivo BTC450 - Works fine but don't expect any device to work in Hi Quality with FaceTime Audio, it sounds like AM, bummer and it's a Apple issue it seems not BT.

I have one of these and found there was a lot of hiss on the line until I inserted a Ground Loop Noise Isolator -- then the audio quality was excellent.

I got this one from Amazon:
PAC SNI-1/3.5 3.5-mm Ground Loop Noise Isolator Works

You just insert it into the the audio line between your car and the bluetooth device -- no power needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.