Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:02 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Makes Gains in U.S. Smartphone Market Share

Apple continues to be the number one handset manufacturer among consumers in the United States and has also made small gains in operating system share, according to ComScore's newest monthly survey of U.S. mobile phone users covering the February-May 2014 period.

Apple's smartphone market share increased from 41.3 percent in February to 41.9 percent in May, allowing Apple to retain its position as the top handset manufacturer. Samsung also made small gains over the period, rising to 27.8 percent share. LG, Motorola, and HTC's share fell slightly.

While Apple is the top handset maker, iOS has always fallen behind Android when it comes to operating system share, given the large number of Android-based phones on the market. Apple did make small gains during the period, however, rising to a new all time high of 41.9 percent, up from 41.3 percent in February. Android, in comparison, remained flat with a 52.1 percent share.

iOS continues to be the only platform to gain ground as Microsoft also experienced no growth and BlackBerry and Symbian each saw small drops in share.

ComScore's data tracks installed user base rather than new handset sales, which means it is more reflective of real-world usage but slower to respond to shifting market trends than some other studies.

Article Link: Apple Makes Gains in U.S. Smartphone Market Share
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:02 PM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

Ah! Congrats Apple!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:04 PM   #3
Crosscreek
macrumors 65816

I guess it's a good thing we have plenty of walls.
Crosscreek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:04 PM   #4
sbrhwkp3
macrumors 6502a

No surprise, despite having nothing all that new and unique to offer. You know why?

Have you ever picked up an Android phone at your local phone store? They are SO BAD compared to iOS it's insane. The entire web it seems is now optimized for iOS and clunky, jumpy Androids try to display full web pages and don't **FEEL** good to use.

In the long run, unless Google or somebody else finds a way to smooth things out, this trend will continue.
sbrhwkp3 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:05 PM   #5
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Apple is doomed!
madsci954 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:06 PM   #6
mobilemac
macrumors newbie

It will be interesting to see what happens to iOS share once Apple is no longer hobbled by only selling 4-inch screens. Seems like almost everyone I know who has gone Android, has a 5-inch screen (and that was a big factor in their switch).
mobilemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:06 PM   #7
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

My god does it irritate me that they lump premium phones from a single manufacturer in with phones of varying price points from a hundred disparate manufacturers together and call it market share.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:09 PM   #8
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Stop the presses!!!! A whopping 0.6% increase! Time to break out the champagne.
cdmoore74 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:09 PM   #9
Amacfa
macrumors 6502

Game over once the 4.7, 5.5 inch iPhones come out.
Amacfa is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:10 PM   #10
ghost187
macrumors regular

If Apple releases 2 new screen sizes, there will be some "accelerated" growth!
ghost187 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:11 PM   #11
iolinux333
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrhwkp3 View Post
No surprise, despite having nothing all that new and unique to offer. You know why?

Have you ever picked up an Android phone at your local phone store? They are SO BAD compared to iOS it's insane. The entire web it seems is now optimized for iOS and clunky, jumpy Androids try to display full web pages and don't **FEEL** good to use.

In the long run, unless Google or somebody else finds a way to smooth things out, this trend will continue.
Meh. I go back and forth between iOS and Nexus devices now. They each have their own learning curve, about six weeks to really get the OS down. Once I was proficient at both, it turns out they are more or less the same now neither offering much more than the other - except Android has a real notification system while Apple's version is pretend - and Apple has slightly more responsiveness due to superior capacitive screen touch sensing hardware that detects movement/touch in half as many milliseconds.
iolinux333 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:11 PM   #12
peglegjack
macrumors regular

Watch out...Blackberry's coming on strong!!!
peglegjack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:12 PM   #13
vanduynamite
macrumors newbie

Wrong chart

First chart is a duplicate of the second chart. Should be showing OEM and not platform? Funny cause the percentages for Apple are the same in both charts.
vanduynamite is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:13 PM   #14
sbrhwkp3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
Stop the presses!!!! A whopping 0.6% increase! Time to break out the champagne.
Based on 2013 numbers, .6% would be 6 million iPhones, which equates to 4.8 billion in additional revenue.

Pour me a glass, please.
sbrhwkp3 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:13 PM   #15
Windlasher
macrumors 6502

Blackberry better get its crap together or that number will drop to zero soon.
Windlasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:14 PM   #16
bretm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
My god does it irritate me that they lump premium phones from a single manufacturer in with phones of varying price points from a hundred disparate manufacturers together and call it market share.
Exactly. Since every phone is essentially a smart phone now, it's pretty impressive Apples market share is so high in both handsets and OS.

The same is true to some extent with their computers. Because there are so many PC makers, Apple is usually up at the top of the list for computer sales, even when they only had 10% of the market.
bretm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:16 PM   #17
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
Apple is doomed!
Put your money where you mouth is and short sell APPL.
CFreymarc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:24 PM   #18
KdParker
macrumors 68040

This will be a growing trend. Especially once the new iPhones come out.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:27 PM   #19
raazman
macrumors member

Quote:

Entire web is optimized for iOS? Android tries to display full web pages? First of all the web is handled by web browsers. And I don't know what browser you've used on Android for it to display full web pages on default but that's some BS when it comes to stock or the other popular browsers for Android.
raazman is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:28 PM   #20
lincolntran
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If they don't do it this way, the real ugly picture of android will be revealed and fanroids will have heart attack everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolinux333 View Post
Meh. I go back and forth between iOS and Nexus devices now. They each have their own learning curve, about six weeks to really get the OS down. Once I was proficient at both, it turns out they are more or less the same now neither offering much more than the other - except Android has a real notification system while Apple's version is pretend - and Apple has slightly more responsiveness due to superior capacitive screen touch sensing hardware that detects movement/touch in half as many milliseconds.
Can you elaborate on "real notification system" and "pretend" one?
lincolntran is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:29 PM   #21
supermarino
macrumors newbie

Quote:

You realize on that chart the gain in Apple came from a drop in Blackberry, right? Not that this is a bad thing, I mean, those who switch didn't choose Android, but it's not as if those on Android phones are jumping ships to switch to iOS.
supermarino is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:30 PM   #22
iolinux333
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglegjack View Post
Watch out...Blackberry's coming on strong!!!
Sad really. It's supposed to be a good OS. We need a real competitor that isn't Microevilsoft.
iolinux333 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:30 PM   #23
raazman
macrumors member

Quote:

You failed to read the data correctly.
raazman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:32 PM   #24
icyrock1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
They only seem to do it when it's a disadvantage to Apple. Remember when the iPad wasn't counted in the PC marketshare, but now it is?

Personally, I think they do it that way because it gets people to read there reports, giving them credibility and recognition (plus, more people will report it if they make Apple look bad, due to the shock value).
icyrock1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 01:32 PM   #25
ebrown17
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolinux333 View Post
Not trying to argue. In what way is the notification system "pretend" with iOS?I've messed around with android but never owned one.
ebrown17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion