Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roksraka

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Slovenia
Hello! I work a lot with 3D modeling and rendering on my macbook pro 15" retina late 2013. What this means is, that the computer may sometimes be rendering a 3D models for up to 5 hours at full blast, fans always around 6000+rpm. Such hardcore use may cause some permanent damage due to overheating.

I was wondering, is there a way to tell the computer to "take it easy"? The render could be done in 3hours, but if it could be done in 5hours without overheating, that would be even better...any tips? :D

roksraka

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Slovenia
Just to be clear, if the CPU or GPU get too hot, the Mac would shut down to prevent overheating, thus what you experience, 6.000 RPM fan speeds, is not overheating.

Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

In other words, no need to under clock, the Mac protects itself when too hot.

yes, i am aware of that :) but if the computer is running full blast for several hours a day (hopefully for the next 4 years), it probably still isn't the best thing for it...

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It's fine. Think about how hot your automobile engine gets. Do you worry about it too?

Nov 28, 2010
located
yes, i am aware of that :) but if the computer is running full blast for several hours a day (hopefully for the next 4 years), it probably still isn't the best thing for it...

While the CPUs are not rated for 26/7 operation, they can withstand several hours a day of high activity easily. The CPUs are rated at 105° C and you will probably only get it to 95° C anyway with your tasks. Nothing to worry about.

But if you want, get a dedicated i7 Mac mini to just do the render jobs.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013

My rMBP has been doing both 8-thread 100% CPU tasks, then full 3D rendering for 8-10 hours a day with no problem. All in W8.1. Its 1 year old now and going as good as the day I got it.

Pudlo

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2014
Depends if you work in windows or OS X.
In w8 it's pretty easy. You can just set in power assistant max cpu usage to 95% instead of 100%. So your cpu won't oc over base clock (the standard one showed when you buy pc)

For more advanced cpu control you can find throttlestop. In this app you can set exact clock for your cpu.

If you are not using gpu much, you can download nvidia inspector and under clock gpu. (but it's kind of pointless, your gpu do it already when not used).

I think only the first solution is nice to try. Your cpu will still work with base clock. So it's pretty fast and much less heat. But you should consider just cleaning your notebook more often (unscrewing bottom cover and taking dust from the fans) I found out when using it with fans maxed out, the dust is gathering at the sides just out of the fans and it's the reason your pc can get too hot. Second thing is buying some kind of cooling platform for your notebook. Or at least put a pencil under far back of it. It's much better when it's not touching the desk (desk can heat up too in 4 hours) and the construction of the vents in retina makes the air hitting bottom of the screen, the air goes both ways up and down, so just make space under pc to let it flow away)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.