Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaaay

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Hi guys, sorry in advance if this has previously been covered, i did do a quick search of this sub-group but couldn't find anything.

My Mid-2012 13" Macbook Air freezes intermittently whilst playing Youtube videos. Literally it'll be a case of it freezing when i press play, or at some point during the video the picture and sound might stop, or the picture will stop and the sound might keep playing. Sometimes i am able to move the cursor, other times i'm unable to do so. I know its crashed because i have set the colon in between the time (e.g. 18:19) to flash in the taskbar.

I've updated adobe flash player to the latest version and what not. I use firefox has my browser.

Ive reset the PRAM via booting it into safe mode and then restarting, however it did get stuck on a blank grey screen, so i had to hold down the power button to turn it off and then on, and i was then greeted with a message saying it didnt shut down properly.

I just don't know whats causing all this stuff, would a fresh installation of mavericks help?

I hope you can help me out, thanks.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi guys, sorry in advance if this has previously been covered, i did do a quick search of this sub-group but couldn't find anything.

My Mid-2012 13" Macbook Air freezes intermittently whilst playing Youtube videos. Literally it'll be a case of it freezing when i press play, or at some point during the video the picture and sound might stop, or the picture will stop and the sound might keep playing. Sometimes i am able to move the cursor, other times i'm unable to do so. I know its crashed because i have set the colon in between the time (e.g. 18:19) to flash in the taskbar.

I've updated adobe flash player to the latest version and what not. I use firefox has my browser.

Ive reset the PRAM via booting it into safe mode and then restarting, however it did get stuck on a blank grey screen, so i had to hold down the power button to turn it off and then on, and i was then greeted with a message saying it didnt shut down properly.

I just don't know whats causing all this stuff, would a fresh installation of mavericks help?

You could try using Google Chrome which comes packed with a copy of Flash built in. I have seen issues with Flash on Firefox in the past couple of months.

artfun

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014

Try youtubecenter, it can play youtube videos in html5 format. I use youtubecenter with chrome, never had an issue, besides that it have nice things like showing video's rating etc.

Jaaay

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
You could try using Google Chrome which comes packed with a copy of Flash built in. I have seen issues with Flash on Firefox in the past couple of months.

Try youtubecenter, it can play youtube videos in html5 format. I use youtubecenter with chrome, never had an issue, besides that it have nice things like showing video's rating etc.

Thanks for your recommendations guys, i popped into an apple store to get my battery replaced and brought up the issue, and the guy said it might be worth while reinstalling Mavericks, but ill definitely give chrome a chance first.

One thing i dislike about chrome is the clunky zooming with the touchpad, is there a solution to solve that? The zooming on Safari is perfect, and i managed to change some settings in Firefox to make that run well too.

macgeek88

Suspended
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
It's Flash.... I have the same issue in Firefox AND Safari - which use the Adobe plugin.

I'm using Chrome without a hitch and I did reinstall the OS and Flash and clear cache, etc etc but no difference. Chrome is the only solution for right now til Adobe finds out what is going on. Or use an extension that forces HTML5 and uninstall Flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.