Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has notified developers of plans for a server-side data wipe on CloudKit public and private databases for both the beta versions iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite. The wipe, which will take place on Monday, July 7, will erase data for iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library, and Mail Drop.

cloudkitwipe.jpg
The wipe comes just a day ahead of the rumored launch date of iOS 8 beta 3 and also the likely launch date of the third Yosemite Developer Preview. Apple commonly seeds early versions of its iOS beta operating systems on roughly two-week intervals, moving on to three-week intervals later in the testing period. OS X beta updates have followed a similar update pattern in the past as well.

Apple's second iOS 8 and Yosemite betas came approximately two weeks after the software was first provided to developers at the Worldwide Developers Conference, and it has now been three weeks since those updates were seeded.

Both iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite are expected to be released to the public in the fall, after an extended beta testing period.

Thanks, Daniel!

Article Link: Apple Planning to Wipe CloudKit Data for iOS 8 and Yosemite on July 7 Ahead of Beta Updates

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
Is this a regular thing, or is this signifying some change in iOS8b3?

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
This is probably the closest we'll ever get to Apple confirming the release of a beta prior to it actually showing up.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Wipe away! Hope nobody needs their saved data who is out of town or out of office on vacation for the 4th of July Holiday.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Wipe away! Hope nobody needs their saved data who is out of town or out of office on vacation for the 4th of July Holiday.

I hope nobody who has their important data has it backed up solely on a ****ing beta OS. :rolleyes:

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier

Honestly, no one will probably even have this problem. People who are using iCloud drive is probably just using it with test data. Although I have a feeling that this notice was sent out yesterday morning and it took to now till the news to come out. Or Apple just don't care it is the 4th July weekend, since most people in the world don't have a long weekend like Americans do.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Honestly, no one will probably even have this problem. People who are using iCloud drive is probably just using it with test data. Although I have a feeling that this notice was sent out yesterday morning and it took to now till the news to come out. Or Apple just don't care it is the 4th July weekend, since most people in the world don't have a long weekend like Americans do.

no it was sent out just now

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Anyone else smelling the public Appleseed beta?

makes sense as only Yosemite will be a public beta and i guess they have to make sure it will work properly with an iPhone still on iOS7 as iOS8 isnt a public beta and not being able to keep both devices in synch on different software versions would irritate many people

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

This happened before when Apple was preparing for a transition from Developer Preview to the fixed ( being no more drastic changes or new elements ) builds.

This tells me 10.10 will have the dark theme come Tuesday.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
makes sense as only Yosemite will be a public beta and i guess they have to make sure it will work properly with an iPhone still on iOS7 as iOS8 isnt a public beta and not being able to keep both devices in synch on different software versions would irritate many people

Obviously it's not happening this time around, but do you think the Yosemite public beta suggests the public might get iOS betas in the future?

Dannyunltd

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Vista,CA
So does this mean all my photos currently in photo stream will be gone? Essentially starting all over again in iOS 8 right? Or am I missing something?

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
This happened before when Apple was preparing for a transition from Developer Preview to the fixed ( being no more drastic changes or new elements ) builds.

Or (fingers crossed) the public beta.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
is this good or bad?
It's good. Part of the process.

It's just a notification to developers that their test data is being wiped. Apple telling debs: Don't be alarmed, it's not a bug in your code. We are wiping it as we develop and correct API and our databases.

And hopefully, as many pointed out, a sign the public beta nears.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
is this good or bad?

It's indifferent and really doesn't matter. It only applies to developers for the upcoming OS. And if you have your main OS as a buggy pre-release and expect nothing will go wrong/won't lose data, then you're doing it wrong.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Yee, I got the notice this morning -- I haven't used it for anything, waiting until we get closer to GM to start using it.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009

There's always one.

----------

Ugh. This tells you nothing.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009

It's too early to tell I think at this point if it'll be a regular thing. I imagine there will be a couple more wipes. And this is probably for some change in iOS 8, but it'll be under the hood stuff we won't see. I'm guessing it's just tweaking how iOS communicates with the server.

I Am Designer™

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
London, UK
Have to say I think the public beta is a bad idea for Apple. Already you see people using Yosemite and iOS8 complaining that it has quirks - completely failing to realise that it's a Beta!! All this will mean is that there is a bigger wave of misguided opinion and upset users who are using it as their daily driver. In the age of the internet those voices tend to be the loudest unfortunately.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
I Am Designer™;19318199 said:
Have to say I think the public beta is a bad idea for Apple. Already you see people using Yosemite and iOS8 complaining that it has quirks - completely failing to realise that it's a Beta!! All this will mean is that there is a bigger wave of misguided opinion and upset users who are using it as their daily driver. In the age of the internet those voices tend to be the loudest unfortunately.

Know what the worst thing was? Mac OS X 10.0 Public Beta. It was literally available to *anyone* who had $30 in their pocket and a hankering for the future.

:(

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK

That should reduce over time as people get used to being part of a beta. The open beta is a good thing, but there will always be some who do not understand something new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.