Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fhelynnz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2014
Hello everyone !

The old self assigned IP problem which everyone is getting. Yup. But this time my dear Mac took it to the extreme :
I've dealt with this problem in the past, where it was just a matter of changing the ethernet ports, or restarting the router, or deleting some file in preferences, the nice tricks everyone shares on the forums and youtube.
But recently the problem reappeared, and has decided to haunt me. In the past days, every single time I managed to bring Ethernet back up by whatever means (first it worked by deleting a file in Preferences, then channels, then restarting the router and finally resetting it), the self assigned IP and the orange light reappeared an hour or so later. And it did so while I was happily using Internet.
Typical situation : I'm happily gaming or watching nonsense on youtube when suddenly, internet "freezes" and nothing will open or work anymore. I immediately open system preferences to check the ethernet tab - which i still lit green and in working order -, only to see it switch to red, then orange a couple of seconds later.

Also, apparently reseting and/or restarting the router have been the only repeatable solutions so far. Changing ports and deleting the file in Preferences only worked once.

The problem defenitely seems to be coming from the router, though no one else in my family is dealing with this issue, and all are on mac! (Granted not everyone uses ethernet, but still)
Even the my brother's ps3 -connected via cable- works wonders for him.

This continuous cycle is going to drive me mad! Worst of all, I don't understand it, or why it is.

Please, any help!
Many thanks, Leo

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
have you replaced lan cable yet (I am assuming you don't have cable testers laying around, if you do has cable passed tests)? I have seen flaky connections fixed by plain ole cable swap even in my server room at work.

have you gone into the router to see its logs (if there) or maybe look at your dhcp information? Its tables, maybe potential lease times, etc.

Does your router support mac (the unique id number burned into a nic card mac that is) based reservation or some other means to allow for some kind of more static ip addressing? If you can work static in some way you can remove potential dhcp issues. Doesn't fix the problem if there ofc, just a workaround.

Fhelynnz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2014
I'll try your suggestions and let you know, thanks !

In the meantime, I thought it might help mentioning that I use 2 "adapters" (lack of the actual name) to connect ethernet.
What I mean by that is the following :
Router->Ethernet cable plugged into adapter->Adapter plugged into electricity->signal uses electric cables (I believe) to get to 2nd adapter->ethernet cable coming out of 2nd adapter plugged into computer.

It just hit me that that might be important.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I'll try your suggestions and let you know, thanks !

In the meantime, I thought it might help mentioning that I use 2 "adapters" (lack of the actual name) to connect ethernet.
What I mean by that is the following :
Router->Ethernet cable plugged into adapter->Adapter plugged into electricity->signal uses electric cables (I believe) to get to 2nd adapter->ethernet cable coming out of 2nd adapter plugged into computer.

It just hit me that that might be important.

It could be very important. That's a lot of connection points that could be intermittent. Especially if your wall sockets are old and worn. Powerline spikes could have damaged the adapters.

When you say that the other people in the house aren't dealing with it, do you mean it's not happening to them, or that you know for a fact that it's happening to them but they're simply not doing anything to fix it? Big difference between the two. If it's happening to everyone, then it's far more likely the router is involved. If it only happens to you, then it's not likely to be the router at all.

Do you not have wifi, or do you just have a personal preference for hard-wired? If you do have wifi, try it for a while.

Brief Editorial: A lot of folks have a tendency to pursue exotic solutions before they think about the basics. In a hard-wired environment, cables and connectors are nearly always the weakest link.

Fhelynnz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2014
I checked the adapters and both them, and the cables, seem to be in a good shape, no traces of damage.

I meant, they haven't experienced it. Granted I'm the only one who uses cable for the mac (otherwise it's used for printer and ps3), i don't recall it happening to any of them ever.

It also never happened on wifi. Yes I have access to wifi but I'm so damn far away from the thing, and that's why I chose the through the wall cable solution, otherwise it's sllooowww.

I believed(ed) to be the router because : I talked to an online-help guy who assured me "99.99% sure it's the router". I agree because every time i restart/reset (most, not every) it fixes the problem, at least for a while, while solutions from the mac haven't brought much.

I personally think it's some kind of weird preference in the router (since there's no physical trace of a deficiency), but then again, resetting it to factory defaults didn't change anything, so i'm clueless.

This morning I got it back up by plugging/unplugging the adaptors, it went down 1hr (more or less) after.
I find it weird, because it is as if the router suddenly decides to ignore and forget my computer.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
What's your network service order? If you have both WiFi on and the Ethernet connected and it can't get a DHCP address from the router due to low signal strength then it may self assign an IP address. If that's the primary network then that's what gets used.

Fhelynnz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2014
I don't believe it's low signal strength.
As I mentioned, it suddently shuts down on me while I'm browsing, and I'm browsing at a satisfying speed !
Yes I have Wifi and ethernet on, no idea about the order. I did have both on for a significant amount of time in the past w/o issues.

PS: Ethernet is back up, no clue how/why, for how long, etc...
I was thinking that leases might have something to do with it?

Then again, why wouldn't the router be able to talk to my computer (or vice versa) when renewing the lease?
The lease was and is set to 60min, which roughly corresponds to the ethernet's uptime cycles in the past few days.

Fhelynnz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2014
UPDATE : Same as before. Keeps going back up and down. I manage to get an IP every time I unplug the router/adapters, then it goes back down again after anywhere from 5min to an entire day...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote above:
[[ UPDATE : Same as before. Keeps going back up and down. I manage to get an IP every time I unplug the router/adapters, then it goes back down again after anywhere from 5min to an entire day... ]]

My guess (and it's ONLY a "guess") is that your problems are related to the "powerline" setup.

If you want a reliable "wired" solution, string ethernet cable.

blaster_boy

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Belgium
Are those powerline adapters (your electrical connections) by chance by Devolo ? Because this sounds suspiciously like what I experienced... Random interruptions, more frequently when using more data.

Have you updated those powerline adapters to the latest firmwares ?

Fhelynnz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2014
I think Fish and Blaster Boy are right.
Yeah I've tried manual IP, even everything set on manual and filled it all in, it failed to connect.
I'm indeed using devolo powerline, 200 AVplus. Checked for any firmware updates, and I got "This product is no longer available!" on their site. (go go devolo!...)

The path my cable would have to take to get to my computer would disturb a lot of people, I imagine making it slide closely through the wall, going up and down on door frames, etc... but that would take a considerable amount of time to set up.

I've just downloaded devolo cockpit which should (i hope) help me...do...something? I'll see if it helps :D

I really wish I wouldn't have to buy a new pair of powerlines, these guys cost me 90€ and seem to be in very good shape (haven't opened them or anything, but they look good from the outside at least)

blaster_boy

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Belgium
The devolo 200's I had were very reliable and worked for years. Then I switched to Devolo 500AV+ and had nothing but trouble. You can google for "devolo powerline av500+ network problems", my blog should pop up on the first page. The comments are full of people experiencing the same problem.

It seems a firmware update did help for some last month.

I never did get any adequate support from devolo europe, but what me and many others experienced was that we could have quite a long time without interruption if we consumed very little data. Anything like playing a game or youtube video would work fine for a while, and then suddenly a limit would b reached and you would get a network error.

We also found out that using the dlan cockpit software we could reset the powerline adapters. So they are still visible via the electrical network, just the outside connection to the router was down. You could even do a reset from your mac/pc and get back up and running. Saved me a lot of stairs.

Can you switch them out for others (lend them for an evening from a friend ?). That way you can test if those particular powerlines are the problem or if it is your router.

I've switched to using other powerline adapters (TPLink), and those work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.