Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
I have an iPhone 5S, I also have an Zagg tempered glass screen protector and I wanted to know if anybody has had any luck installing an Otterbox defender with the zagg tempered glass, I only ask because I want a Defender and don't want to buy one if the screen protector won't fit in the case, thanks

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I have an iPhone 5S, I also have an Zagg tempered glass screen protector and I wanted to know if anybody has had any luck installing an Otterbox defender with the zagg tempered glass, I only ask because I want a Defender and don't want to buy one if the screen protector won't fit in the case, thanks

Last year, I bought an Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 5 purely to protect it when I went on holiday for 2 weeks. My 5 had (and still has) an original SGP Glass T.R glass screen shield (not the current slim designs but one of the original thick designs) installed and I was also worried that the Defender would not fit.

When I received the case , my worries were indeed confirmed as the Defender would not fit over the glass screen shield (the plastic parts of the case would physically fit over the phone and the screen shield however, due to the thickness of the glass screen shield, the clasps on the Defender would not stretch enough to close together so the case did not fit properly).

However, as I bought this over the web and had no intentions of sending it back, I took a screwdriver and very gently applied pressure to the clasps, on every side of the Defender (I think there is one on each side, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom) so that I stretched the plastic a little. I had to be careful as if I applied too much pressure, obviously the clasps would snap and render the case useless!

I basically kept doing this until I managed to get the Defender to fit and close over my iPhone 5 with the glass screen shield - which it did. This does produce a gap, however, where the top plastic case meets the bottom plastic case (obviously due to the stretched clasps) but when you then apply the rubber portion of the case, it covers up the gap so you can't actually see it.

:)

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Last year, I bought an Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 5 purely to protect it when I went on holiday for 2 weeks. My 5 had (and still has) an original SGP Glass T.R glass screen shield (not the current slim designs but one of the original thick designs) installed and I was also worried that the Defender would not fit.

When I received the case , my worries were indeed confirmed as the Defender would not fit over the glass screen shield (the plastic parts of the case would physically fit over the phone and the screen shield however, due to the thickness of the glass screen shield, the clasps on the Defender would not stretch enough to close together so the case did not fit properly).

However, as I bought this over the web and had no intentions of sending it back, I took a screwdriver and very gently applied pressure to the clasps, on every side of the Defender (I think there is one on each side, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom) so that I stretched the plastic a little. I had to be careful as if I applied too much pressure, obviously the clasps would snap and render the case useless!

I basically kept doing this until I managed to get the Defender to fit and close over my iPhone 5 with the glass screen shield - which it did. This does produce a gap, however, where the top plastic case meets the bottom plastic case (obviously due to the stretched clasps) but when you then apply the rubber portion of the case, it covers up the gap so you can't actually see it.

:)

Thank you for your reply, the original one that you mentioned had a thickness of .55mm and the Zagg has around a .4 or .35 mm thickness so that should help a little, that really does help me decide on whether or not to get a defender because i really want the navy blue and gray one

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Let me know if the zagg works I want the defender to use the clip. I have a preserver now which is good but can't use it with a clip

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Let me know if the zagg works I want the defender to use the clip. I have a preserver now which is good but can't use it with a clip

just picked up the defender with the zagg glass screen protector it fits perfect, no bubbling or anything, fits great! I'm happy! just pop out the built in protector and you're golden!

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
just picked up the defender with the zagg glass screen protector it fits perfect, no bubbling or anything, fits great! I'm happy! just pop out the built in protector and you're golden!

Does the zagg glass get any damage from the defender ?meaning were the glass is underneath the plastic part of the case ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.