Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBP*

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
I purchased a second hand keyboard off eBay, got it relatively cheaply.

I had to force open the battery top with a screwdriver as the battery deposits jammed it shut. the tunnel itself has got some deposits along the side.

I put in some new batteries but the keyboard doesn't seem to work. It seems that the terminal on the far end needs to cleaning.

Or has the keyboard been completely destroyed?

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Just an FYI....Energizer and Duracell have (or used to have - haven't had to check in a couple years) battery "warranties" where if their alkaline batteries leak and ruin something, they will replace the item (or send you a check for its replacement value). I've had a couple D-cell Maglite flashlights and a Fuji digital camera replaced that way.

Check their websites or google for "alkaline battery warranty"

MBP*

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Just an FYI....Energizer and Duracell have (or used to have - haven't had to check in a couple years) battery "warranties" where if their alkaline batteries leak and ruin something, they will replace the item (or send you a check for its replacement value). I've had a couple D-cell Maglite flashlights and a Fuji digital camera replaced that way.

That's interesting. I think both of those brand of batteries were inside, but I have no receipts. Bought off eBay.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I didn't need a receipt -just had to ship them the item and the batteries - of course having both brands of battery in there at the same time would probably make it dicey if one company would honor the warranty or not.

MBP*

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
I got the light on tje keyboard. So I'm going to use it this evening to make sure its working properly. Perhaps I won't need to send it to them after all

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006

That is good to know. I have D cells leak in a Maglight and was lucky enough to Mag Instrument, Inc. replace it for me even though it wasn't their fault. If it happens again I will contact the battery maker instead. I do have to give credit to Mag Instrument, Inc. for going above and beyond though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.