Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianMayFan123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
West Midlands, UK
Hi guys,
I thought I would share with you all a bargain I got on eBay this week :

UBh5cNC.jpg

Thats right, an iBook G3 (600Mhz I believe), with power cable and Airport card which was an absolute steal at £11 plus delivery. At this price I couldn't let it go.

Other than a small crack on the plastic frame its in very good condition cosmetically.

Zxtq9BQ.jpg

Screen is bright and clear of dead pixels, battery holds a charge (No idea yet how long but it turned on when I got it) and all the keys feel nice and responsive. The HDD makes a lovely grinding sound so it has to be replaced (I'm thinking an IDE SSD)

I plan to strip the paint off the inside of the case, and either leave it exposed or dye the plastic to make something funky.

After modding it I have no plans to use it as a main or even occasional machine so I was planning to let my 5 year old daughter use it for drawing/educational games. Would this role be best served by reinstalling OS X (I believe it can handle Tiger) or by finding a lightweight Linux distro?

I welcome all input

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That looks more like a G4 - but some of the PPC denizens would be able to correct me if I'm wrong. I think the G3 is the "clamshell" design, no?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That looks more like a G4 - but some of the PPC denizens would be able to correct me if I'm wrong. I think the G3 is the "clamshell" design, no?

Only the very first two models of the iBook G3 were the colourful clamshell models. The rest look identical to the G4 iBooks.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Gotcha. So I was reading on Wikipedia that it could be a G3 "snow" 12" right?

Yes. G3s had a silver palm rest with a translucent clear keyboard. Later "Snow" G3s were all white including the palm rest with the translucent keyboard. G4 iBooks were all white with white keyboards and had a slot loading disk drive. All models came in both 12" and 14" varieties.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
My brother just picked up a 12" 500 MHz G3 iBook for $30 on eBay. It's a pretty nice machine! Currently running a functional dual-boot of OS 9 and Puma (OS X v.10.1).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.