Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the third beta of iOS 8 to developers, three weeks after releasing the second beta update and more than a month since unveiling the new operating system at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

The update, build number 12A4318c, is available through Apple's over-the-air updating system on iOS devices and can also be downloaded via the iOS Dev Center. Apple has also released a new beta version of Find My iPhone, a brand new iOS 8 version of Find My Friends, a new Apple TV beta, Xcode 6 beta 3, and updates to Swift, the programming language the company introduced at WWDC.

ios_8_beta_3.jpg
iOS 8 introduces a range of new features, including improved integration with OS X through Continuity, a Health app, Family Sharing features, interactive notifications, a new QuickType Keyboard and improvements to several apps like Safari, Mail, and Messages.

The third iOS 8 beta includes several tweaks to the operating system, like new options for iCloud Drive, a new Settings toggle for Handoff, and a new option to enable or disable QuickType. There's also been some changes to the look of the weather app and a few new simple wallpapers. For a full list of the changes to iOS 8 in beta 3, make sure to check out our Beta 3 Tidbits post.

A June report suggested iOS 8 beta 3 would be released on Tuesday, July 8, but it appears the beta has come a day early. Today's update comes just after Apple announced plans to wipe all CloudKit data for the iOS and Yosemite betas, including data from iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library, and Mail Drop.

iOS 8 is currently only available to developers, but it is expected to be released to the public this fall after several beta iterations. Based on past history, iOS 8 will likely be launched alongside new iPhones, and possibly the much-rumored iWatch.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 8 Beta 3 to Developers

dleute

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
not actually released

over the air updates to hardware installed with beta 2 may be available, but beta 3 is not in the dev center yet.

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
I'm getting "update requested" instead of update loading. Anyone else?

Attachments

• IMG_1072.PNG
    IMG_1072.PNG
    80.3 KB · Views: 257

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Apple Releases iOS 8 Beta 3 to Developers

Interesting... Why so soon in the day? Doesn't it usually go at 12?

Guessing they were eager today. Wasn't that much earlier tho was it? Only 10 mins if I converted the time right. (Usually 6pm GMT, appears it went up at 5.50 GMT)

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Thanks heavens. iOS 8 Beta 2 is the buggiest I've ever experienced since the iOS 3 beta came out all those moons ago.

Hopefully this will be far more stable.

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
The "Update requested" means that Apple is checking if your iPhone's UDID is registered. It's to prevent those who were able to get the beta without their UDID registered to update.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Thanks heavens. iOS 8 Beta 3 was the buggiest I've ever experienced since the iOS 3 beta came out all those moons ago.

Hopefully this will be far more stable.

Yeah, I'm not complaining, as betas are betas, but iOS 8 Beta 2 was the buggiest iOS beta I've seen in at least 5 years.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
How's the battery life lmao

Don't laugh too hard. beta2 was draining the battery on my iPad2 overnight, with no other apps installed, and with the iPad fully powered down! I didn't even bother testing anything. Hope this fixes that.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
Yeah, I'm not complaining, as betas are betas, but iOS 8 Beta 2 was the buggiest iOS beta I've seen in at least 5 years.

I couldn't agree more! Beta 1 was extremely stable for me and beta 2 was downright awful, I totally understand it's a beta, there's bugs of course but it was just really bad, I restored back to 7.1.1 then 7.1.2 came out later that afternoon of course

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.