Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the third beta of iOS 8, which brings a number of improvements, changes, and bug fixes to the beta software that was first introduced on June 2.

iOS 8 beta 3 also includes several minor interface tweaks and modifications that make the beta feel both faster and more polished. We've gathered up a comprehensive list of the enhancements that have been bundled into the release below, and to find out about all of the under-the-radar tweaks in iOS 8, make sure to check out our iOS 8 Hidden Features Roundup.

Find My Friends - iOS 8 beta 3 includes a new beta version of the Find My Friends and Find My iPhone apps. According to the release notes, Find My Friends allows users to move their friends list to an iCloud account if necessary.

iCloud Drive - There's a new popup window in beta 3 giving users the option to upgrade to iCloud Drive. Introduced at WWDC, iCloud Drive lets users store any type of file. Though iCloud Drive can be turned on, it does not appear to be fully functional at this time.

iclouddrive.jpg
iCloud Drive Settings - There's a new section for iCloud Drive settings within the iCloud portion of the Settings app.

icloudsettings.jpg
Handoff - There's a new Handoff setting in the General menu of the Settings app that allows users to toggle Handoff on and off. Handoff allows users to seamlessly transfer tasks between iOS and OS X.

handoff.jpg
QuickType Keyboard - There's a new option in the Keyboards section of the General menu in the Settings app that lets users toggle QuickType on and off.

Wallpapers - iOS 8 beta 3 includes a new white/gray gradient wallpaper option.

Weather - Some minor changes have been made to the way information is displayed within the Weather app.

newweatherapp.jpg
New interface on the left, previous interface on the right.
App Analytics - After installing the beta, there's a new option to opt into App Analytics. Users can choose to share crash data with app developers along with statistics about how apps are used.

appanalytics.jpg
Photos - In the Photos app, Shared Photo Streams have been renamed Shared Albums. Events and albums from Aperture are now available again in the Photos app as well, and there's a new indicator for the amount of time left before Recently Deleted photos are permanently removed.

recentlydeleted.jpg
Messages - In the Settings menu for Messages, there's a new option to automatically keep audio and video messages. Normally, these messages are deleted after a short period of time to save space.

automaticallykeepmessages.jpg
WiFi Calling - T-Mobile users with iOS 8 beta 3 can now access WiFi calling. WiFi calling lets users make phone calls over WiFi instead of using a Cellular connection. WiFi calling can be enabled in the Phone section of the Settings app and requires users to enter an emergency address.

Custom Keyboards - Developers are now able to move the cursor location with a custom keyboard in iOS 8 beta 3.

Additional features in iOS 8 beta 3 will be added here as they are discovered. Apple is likely to continue pushing regular updates to iOS 8 at two or three-week intervals to bring minor performance boosts and changes ahead of the operating system's launch. iOS 8 is expected to be released to the public in the fall. For more information on iOS 8's features, major and minor, make sure to check out our roundups.

Article Link: iOS 8 Beta 3 Tidbits: iCloud Drive Access, New Handoff Setting, and More

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I like the change they made to the weather app. Not trying to bunch up so much information into a small space.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I'd like to see the new wallpapers as well.

Also, no new dynamic wallpapers?

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I know others have already stated they'd like to see the new wallpapers, but i'd like to take a second to respond and ALSO ask to see these wallpapers to ensure these new wallpapers are seen.... or something.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
The previous Yosemite beta had a fully working iCloud storage that allowed any file type too. Not sure what is meant by " ... giving users the option to upgrade to iCloud Drive for the first time. " I must be missing something here. Oh well, I will go and install and see if there is a change I am misunderstanding.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
New and improved!
New weather interface(right) is much harder to read than the old one (left).
Wow, they almost missed a change to leave "good enough" alone. :confused:

zigad

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2014
Slovenia
Walpapers

Here are the new walpapers =)

Attachments

• IMG_6494.PNG
    IMG_6494.PNG
    1,014.5 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_6496.PNG
    IMG_6496.PNG
    898.8 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_6497.PNG
    IMG_6497.PNG
    156 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_6495.PNG
    IMG_6495.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 373

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
The previous Yosemite beta had a fully working iCloud storage that allowed any file type too. Not sure what is meant by " ... giving users the option to upgrade to iCloud Drive for the first time. " I must be missing something here. Oh well, I will go and install and see if there is a change I am misunderstanding.

There's a new popup window that lets users transition over to iCloud Drive on iOS rather than using the standard iCloud Documents and Data.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
nice, hopefully this will be a bit more stable than 2, although no complaints for a beta.

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
New and improved!
New interface is much harder to read than the old one.

You really think so? We're talking about the weather app? The new interface is on the left. I find it easier to read. They centered the data so that Precipitation and its value are close together instead of on opposite sides of the screen; it may not be symmetrical but I can more clearly and easily read the information I'm interested in.

srminton

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2008
I know others have already stated they'd like to see the new wallpapers, but i'd like to take a second to respond and ALSO ask to see these wallpapers to ensure these new wallpapers are seen.... or something.

That's a great comment about the new wallpapers. I'm wondering if perhaps anyone has seen the new wallpapers yet and, if so, can post them immediately so that we can appreciate the new wallpapers.

Also some great questions in this thread about the new wallpapers. It's turning out to be quite a lively discussion.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
New and improved!
New weather interface(right) is much harder to read than the old one (left).

The updated interface is on the LEFT.

valleian

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I know several people have asked this already and I can't promise I'll be the last one to ask this, but seriously, can we see the new wallpapers?:eek:

EDIT: I see that they have been uploaded, thank you...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.