Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

I was aware of that before I installed Sophos, even looked further into it, but I think the risk he outlines is negligible and acceptable for the benefits the software provides (high detection rate and low impact on resources). There’s always a risk with third-party apps that require root access, especially if they’re automatically updated.

I've been on OS X since the first beta, not going to install any virus app, not really needed, there are no known viruses for OS X currently.
Never had any malware either.

I mostly use Sophos to assure myself that I’m not sending malware to Windows users either. I did encounter Windows malware a couple of times, actually. But scanning every file manually is just too cumbersome, which is why an all-access scanner is a necessity for me.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I mostly use Sophos to assure myself that I’m not sending malware to Windows users either. I did encounter Windows malware a couple of times, actually. But scanning every file manually is just too cumbersome, which is why an all-access scanner is a necessity for me.

Sorry, but that should not be your problem, it's the other side which should scan all incoming traffic, if that other side is OS X there is no need for it, if it's windows, well, as I said it's their problem.:)

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I was aware of that before I installed Sophos, even looked further into it, but I think the risk he outlines is negligible and acceptable for the benefits the software provides (high detection rate and low impact on resources). There’s always a risk with third-party apps that require root access, especially if they’re automatically updated.

We use Sophos are my job, I'm actually the admin of it, works pretty well.

cookiesnfooty

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2009
Harrogate
Sorry, but that should not be your problem, it's the other side which should scan all incoming traffic, if that other side is OS X there is no need for it, if it's windows, well, as I said it's their problem.:)

That's a little naive and a bit mean, it should be your responsibility not to send malware/viruses not the recipient to protect themselves from you.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I see this mentioned often here at MR, but tell that ("it's their problem") to a client you sent a virus to along with your MS Word .doc. What do you think they would say?

I don't run AV on my Mac because I don't send out anything other than the occasional PDF. But if operating in a business environment where files are exchanged with Windows users, I would certainly be running an AV app. It just makes sense from a business standpoint.

cookiesnfooty

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2009
Harrogate
I see this mentioned often here at MR, but tell that ("it's their problem") to a client you sent a virus to along with your MS Word .doc. What do you think they would say?

I don't run AV on my Mac because I don't send out anything other than the occasional PDF. But if operating in a business environment where files are exchanged with Windows users, I would certainly be running an AV app. It just makes sense from a business standpoint.

Thank you for being the voice of reason.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
That's a little naive and a bit mean, it should be your responsibility not to send malware/viruses not the recipient to protect themselves from you.

Do you realize where the actual problem lies?

Microsoft, Adobe (Flash) and Oracle Java are for the most part responsible for releasing unsafe software full of holes, and then there are millions of 'Dummies' downloading illegal software-Music-Movies full of malware/Viruses, now is that my problem to be responsible for the carelessness of those companies/people?

As far as I know most people/companies are fully aware of those threats and have Virus scanners installed, they should be the one taking responsibility and there is another thing...
A couple of years ago I expected Microsoft to rewrite Windows, they should have done what Apple did, go to Linux or Unix, sadly for them and millions of people they are still stuck with a garbage OS.
Windows 7 works fairly well/good, but it's garbage because it is so easily attacked by malware/viruses.
(And of course the afore mentioned third party software developers.)

Don't call me naive or mean, I don't want people to get Malware/viruses but they can't expect from me to be running a virus scanner on a OS that doesn't have viruses!

I don't send many emails anymore, and I certainly don't send whatever crap to people like so many do, like jokes, funny pictures or video I downloaded from the internet.

----------

I very much respect you here on Macrumors, always good to read your posts but this time I have to disagree with you.
Plenty of old farts (no names) here on MR would also disagree with you, just read my response to cookiesnfooty above,

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014

Microsoft, Adobe (Flash) and Oracle Java are for the most part responsible for releasing unsafe software full of holes, and then there are millions of 'Dummies' downloading illegal software-Music-Movies full of malware/Viruses, now is that my problem to be responsible for the carelessness of those companies/people?

As far as I know most people/companies are fully aware of those threads and have Virus scanners installed, they should be the one taking responsibility and there is another thing...
A couple of years ago I expected Microsoft to rewrite Windows, they should have done what Apple did, go to Linux or Unix, sadly for them and millions of people they are still stuck with a garbage OS.
Windows 7 works fairly well/good, but it's garbage because it is so easily attacked by malware/viruses.

Don't call me naive or mean, I don't want people to get Malware/viruses but they can't expect from me to be running a virus scanner on a OS that doesn't have viruses!

----------

I very much respect you here on Macrumors, always good to read your posts but this time I have to disagree with you.
Plenty of old farts (no names) here on MR would also disagree with you, just read my response to cookiesnfooty above,

There are still security advantages to scanning for Windows malware on non Windows systems, especially in a business or educational environment, or any other environment in which Windows and other operating systems share a network. The Cryptolocker malware affected Macs that were connected to infected Windows computers. A botnet on a Windows machine can suck up all of your bandwidth on the network, which affects everyone, Macs included. Anything that attacks the router, brute forces all SSH servers running on port 22, or intercepts network traffic would pose a threat as well.

Also, preventing trojans from reaching Windows users can prevent the sysadmin from having to change users' passwords, which is always a pain.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
There are still security advantages to scanning for Windows malware on non Windows systems, especially in a business or educational environment, or any other environment in which Windows and other operating systems share a network. The Cryptolocker malware affected Macs that were connected to infected Windows computers. A botnet on a Windows machine can suck up all of your bandwidth on the network, which affects everyone, Macs included. Anything that attacks the router, brute forces all SSH servers running on port 22, or intercepts network traffic would pose a threat as well.

Also, preventing trojans from reaching Windows users can prevent the sysadmin from having to change users' passwords, which is always a pain.

Hmm, I just read an article on Wikipedia about Cryptolocker:eek: , nasty one.

It doesn't affect me, I am not in a network, I do daily backups.

cookiesnfooty

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2009
Harrogate

As far as I know most people/companies are fully aware of those threats and have Virus scanners installed, they should be the one taking responsibility and there is another thing...

I don't send many emails anymore, and I certainly don't send whatever crap to people like so many do, like jokes, funny pictures or video I downloaded from the internet.

----------

I understand why you feel this way, however I serve clients across multiple operating systems and while I feel I am safe using a Mac I still feel if I am passed a file from a windows user and I need to pass that on to contractors or another client it is my responsibility to make sure I do not cause any issues to their machines.

However if you have no business interests using a Mac then I would completely agree with you as running a virus scanner on the Mac would be pointless but for a lot of us a computer is an essential tool in our businesses.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Thanks Perry. I appreciate your position and did not mean to offend or insult you in any way. :)

We can just agree to disagree then. I just think if you are in a business environment where you are sending out documents etc to other businesses and clients, it would make you look really bad if you sent out a virus or malware along with your email. I don't think the other business or client would care what your reasons were for not catching this on your end.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010

I currently have the noro-virus and have not washed my hands all day. I expect anyone I meet to take the proper precautions before touching me. Have a nice week in bed!

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
We can just agree to disagree then. I just think if you are in a business environment where you are sending out documents etc to other businesses and clients, it would make you look really bad if you sent out a virus or malware along with your email. I don't think the other business or client would care what your reasons were for not catching this on your end.

I agree with you, It's just good business sense.

Sending out viruses and malware to clients and associates could result in a loss of business. I don't see how anyone could argue with that unless they are just being obtuse or just want to argue. People are in business to make money, it's not hard to see why you would want to keep clients and associates happy and "standing on principles" would not be seen as a good excuse for sending them viruses. If I owned a grocery store I would not be throwing tomatoes at people while they were doing business with me, even though none of them would hit me personally and would only affect the customers.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
This'll be handy!

The user interface is very simple, but this'll be useful for enterprise environments where they want to keep a clean and 'trusted' repository of Mac software.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
This'll be handy!

The user interface is very simple, but this'll be useful for enterprise environments where they want to keep a clean and 'trusted' repository of Mac software.

I agree. In those environments it'll be very useful, outside of those environments and especially home users most will not see the need...as is obvious in this thread.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I currently have the noro-virus and have not washed my hands all day. I expect anyone I meet to take the proper precautions before touching me. Have a nice week in bed!

Already more than a month ago since I wrote that!

But---- Apples/Oranges.
It's by no means the same, you don't get sick from a computer Virus.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.