Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Both links provide completely different instructions for putting your Apple TV to sleep:

Link #1: Hold down the Play/Pause button for five seconds or until your Apple TV goes to sleep.

Link #2: Press and hold Select for five seconds

Strange...

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Both links provide completely different instructions for putting your Apple TV to sleep:

Strange...

Not strange. Look at the apple link. Depends on if you have the white or silver apple remote.
Both options are on that page

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Not strange. Look at the apple link. Depends on if you have the white or silver apple remote.
Both options are on that page

Look at the links again. It is strange because both sites give those different instructions for the silver remote. I'm not even talking about the white remote which is irrelevant nowadays...

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Look at the links again. It is strange because both sites give those different instructions for the silver remote. I'm not even talking about the white remote which is irrelevant nowadays...

i've had a nasty cold, and got no sleep at all last night. so wasn't paying attention

the apple page i posted is out of date
This article has been archived and is no longer updated by Apple.
and looks to pre-date reordering the home screen which you can do now.

here's the real apple page, that only lists the silver
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT200131

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Just did some testing... it is indeed the play/pause button that puts the AppleTV into sleep mode on the aluminum remote, NOT the select button.

Still, this is something I didn't know until now. Very useful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.