Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oxband

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
I recently moved into a house and have been using the wireless. Usually every day at some point I cannot sign into Facebook or gmail and I get a message like this:

"Something is currently interfering with your secure connection to http://www.google.com.

Try to reload this page in a few minutes or after switching to a new network. If you have recently connected to a new Wi-Fi network, finish logging in before reloading."

My roommate in charge of wireless says it always happens and it's nothing to worry about. Is he wrong? Should we reset our password or something else or is it nothing to worry about?

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Does this happen when you try to go to any https site, or just Google and Facebook?

If it happens with every SSL connection, you might have an incorrect system clock, which will make the browser think the SSL certificates it receives from the server are invalid. This can happen if your computer has no power for some time.

If it only happens with one or two sites, check the security certificate fingerprints for the respective sites and post it here. If someone was trying to intercept your connection and eavesdrop, they would be using their own security certificate and the fingerprint would be different from the real Facebook or Google cert.

edit: If it happens with every computer on the network, then you could try updating the router firmware and rebooting it.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
My wife was seeing that with Facebook this morning on her PC - although I could connect fine - and she had no problem with any other sites. She finally rebooted and then it was fine.....weird.

oxband

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
It doesn't happen with every SSL connection.

How do you check the security certificate fingerprints? I checked this on google but it wasn't entirely clear to me. Is this something I should do the next time I get one of those odd messages?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've never seen that message, but in my opinion it doesn't "read" like an Apple one. Which browser are you using, and are you able to post a screenshot of the message?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.