Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lbnatan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
I've been experiencing software update problems with my Macbook OS X 10.6.8 -

When I run my software update, my macbook recognizes all the updates and then tells me I'll have to restart after I install the updates.
14wsq1.jpg

But when I hit install 11 items, it immediately displays this pop up saying it needs to restart to finish the installation, without even going through the installation process.
2zfvnl5.jpg

I go through and restart my Macbook, but when I return, nothing has changed and it still recognizes the same updates it showed before.
If anyone could help me with this, I would be very grateful.

danceswithcats

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I've been having the same problem for months! I've scoured the forums but I haven't seen another post (until now) that was the same situation as mine.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Try downloading the updates individually from Apple's support site and installing them that way. Also, check in System Preferences --> Software Update --> Installed Software and see if they are being installed.

Tomminsj

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
Had the exact same problem until about five minutes ago. I came across this and a few other threads on this topic, found nothing, and poked around with my Software Update window myself.

I went down the list of installed items and saw that I had two updates for iTunes: one was the most recent, version 11.0.0, and a previous, uninstalled update for 10.6.something. I unchecked the box for the out-of-date iTunes, hit install, and it worked perfectly--my computer restarted, opened back up with the grey installation meter, and came back on with everything installed.

I also unchecked the box for the Firmware update, which I had heard was causing some serious problems once installed in some other cases.

Note: As it turns out, one of my 11 updates that previously hadn't been installing was an update for the Software Update function which "addressed an issue that was preventing the Software Update application from installing downloaded updates." Guess that one worked, huh?

Good luck to you.

Dextermasters

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
I had the same problem. Try unhooking any non apple device, including chargers, from the Mac and try again. That's what I did and it worked!

Benjamin Fasano

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
I had the same problem. When I went through and did one update at a time, I noticed that only the updates with the white triangle inside a gray circle next to them required a restart in order to be installed. I went through the updates one by one, and did the two that needed a restart last. I still did those two one at a time. By doing it this way, everything installed properly.

p.ashcroft

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2016
Had the exact same problem until about five minutes ago. I came across this and a few other threads on this topic, found nothing, and poked around with my Software Update window myself.

I went down the list of installed items and saw that I had two updates for iTunes: one was the most recent, version 11.0.0, and a previous, uninstalled update for 10.6.something. I unchecked the box for the out-of-date iTunes, hit install, and it worked perfectly--my computer restarted, opened back up with the grey installation meter, and came back on with everything installed.

I also unchecked the box for the Firmware update, which I had heard was causing some serious problems once installed in some other cases.

Note: As it turns out, one of my 11 updates that previously hadn't been installing was an update for the Software Update function which "addressed an issue that was preventing the Software Update application from installing downloaded updates." Guess that one worked, huh?

Good luck to you.
[doublepost=1462822876][/doublepost]i spent weeks trying to sort this out.this answer worked job sorted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.