Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
Samsung curved screen TV

I don't either. I don't see the point of having any screen curved. I used the lg flex at AT&T. Still could not understand why I would want my phone curved. And to me a curved tv is even less practical. What if you oh say weren't directly in front of the TV all the time or had friends and family so you can't all sit directly in front of it?

So true! I think we should all better forget about that curved screen technology. Well maybe apart from one exception: I would understand curved screens for smartwatches though, I believe.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
It's curved way too insignificantly for it to add much extra immersion. I like the concept but we need bigger sizes with more dramatic curves.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
I just got a flatscreen...(on craigslist for $75)....can't I just enjoy "being among the elite" for a while?? I don't like how the standards are always changing...

BTW, does anyone have any cool info about the amazon 3d phone? I want to know more!

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
It's curved way too insignificantly for it to add much extra immersion. I like the concept but we need bigger sizes with more dramatic curves.

A curved screen is only worthwhile if it can flex as needed. So you can have it flat, convex or concave. This new Tv is a gimmick and has no practical purpose. For suckers to waste money on.

----------

I just got a flatscreen...(on craigslist for $75)....can't I just enjoy "being among the elite" for a while?? I don't like how the standards are always changing...

BTW, does anyone have any cool info about the amazon 3d phone? I want to know more!

Not to worry. The next thing would be flexible roll-up screens. That'll be a while. If they manage to come out before the apocalypse, which is an iffy proposition. And then how long would anyone live to enjoy them?

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
A curved screen is only worthwhile if it can flex as needed. So you can have it flat, convex or concave. This new Tv is a gimmick and has no practical purpose. For suckers to waste money on.

----------

Not to worry. The next thing would be flexible roll-up screens. That'll be a while. If they manage to come out before the apocalypse, which is an iffy proposition. And then how long would anyone live to enjoy them?

Thank you for your words of comfort.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I would think it is a wrong idea because camera sensors are not curved.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I was wondering about curved display benefits too. There don't really seem to be any. I always get films on 3D bluray, just love the immersion it has. But didn't get anything like that with curved when I saw them demoed.

My next TV will be 4k in a few years once the Bravia's have reached a more reasonable price!

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
I was wondering about curved display benefits too. There don't really seem to be any. I always get films on 3D bluray, just love the immersion it has. But didn't get anything like that with curved when I saw them demoed.

My next TV will be 4k in a few years once the Bravia's have reached a more reasonable price!

I just want virtual reality movie goggles/headphones. That would be perfect for me. Complete immersion.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I just want virtual reality movie goggles/headphones. That would be perfect for me. Complete immersion.

Have you tried the Oculus Rift yet? It really is the future, or an incredible option in the future at least. The immersion is incredible. All I want is wider support for it + Morpheus for the PS4.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Have you tried the Oculus Rift yet? It really is the future, or an incredible option in the future at least. The immersion is incredible. All I want is wider support for it + Morpheus for the PS4.

No, I haven't... I was planning on waiting until they are ready for consumers/readily available.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
No, I haven't... I was planning on waiting until they are ready for consumers/readily available.

Probably best to do that. Right now support is limited since it hasn't officially released. But it's good, real good and will only get better before launch.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Probably best to do that. Right now support is limited since it hasn't officially released. But it's good, real good and will only get better before launch.

I would imagine so. Tech usually only gets better and better and cheaper and cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.