Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
You’ll find loads of these on DeviantArt, Dribble and others. What makes these so special?

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
Oh please, don't start giving ideas to Apple. Following this frigging absurd path, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they come out with something like this in a few years:

pxc0gjo.png

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
If everything a circle it takes way too long to differentiate

I think these are just concepts from fans while following the new design that Apple have shown in the preview releases so far. BUT, not all icons will be round in the final version of OSX as far as Preview 3 is concerned.

Finder, Mail, Address Book, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Notes, Photo Booth, FaceTime, Messages etc all have square/rectangle shapes, some with a slight rotation to the icon too. They do make use of more solid color or very light gradient shading in the new icons.

The new folder icons within Finder use a very similar blue to shade between the folders (on the same icon) which isn't as crisp or contrasty as the Mavericks folder icon for example. This seems a step backwards, even with their new aesthetics.

I can imagine people with eyesight issues being able to identify icons much easier though as with the new design there is less clutter/fluff/effects and one prominent aspect which is either a bold colour (less shading/gradient) or a big vector style symbol.

It's a shame some of the nice effects have gone though:

Blurry reflection shown of the icon within the dock = gone
Glowing light to show which app is running = now a strong dot
Soft perspective shadow onto the dock = gone
Shaped icons = now round or rectangular with some rotation
Depth, bevels and inner shadows = softer gradient or solid color
Chrome / Metallic effects = gone
Perspective Dock = replaced with flat rectangle.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
OS X Yosemite style ≠ round icons

In other words: You don't have to make all icons round in order to make them fit in.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
There should be pointed the difference between "minimalistic" and "mediocre".

There is a huge trend that by creating something with lack of creativity, it should mean "simple looking".

That design is poor, lazy. I used to do better things bored during math class when I was in primary school back in the 80's.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Oh goodie, more user mockups being passed off as news/rumors. I don't get why people are so drawn to mockups. :confused:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Wow, everyone here is a huge *******.

Agree. You don't have to express your opinion on everything. If you don't like it, move on. This is a message board, make some actual conversation tat just isn't one line of disgust with something.

When the thread originally started, it was for bringing the iOS 7 concept to OS X. The reason most of them are round are because of the iBooks, iTunes, Mac App Store, and Safari icons. Some people had this idea that the icons would become more uniform in 10.10.

Obviously that didn't happen.

But making icons that do fit with the new 10.10 style isn't something you can do in a day.

Some people here are just so ugh.

Eweie

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2013
yeah lets turn our computers into a freaking Playskool toy. as if macs didnt have bad enough rep.
what happened to the mac of the serious working professional? I'm a designer and this junk is just laughable.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Flat is not better and probably worse

As a way of conveying information flat is a worse design. Aesthetically some find it better or at least trendy. But as was documented by lots of design people iOS 7 was worse from a usabillity stand point because of its flat design (there was a great article on just the pre-iOS 7 back button). I understand flat is "in" but as others have said that is not to confuse it with better. Some people pull their pants down to show their underwear - its not better or worse, its just fashion. Flat is fashion.

So, if we are going flat I would be more impressed with more efforts to make flat usable and less to make things flat for fashion sake. There are only many so many visual cues we have for the brain - shape, color, contrast, etc. Anytime you decide to drop one in an interface it seems like you should have a good reason.

Oh yeah, and these icons are kind of ugly and the desktop is....is unbelievable.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Agree. You don't have to express your opinion on everything. If you don't like it, move on. This is a message board, make some actual conversation tat just isn't one line of disgust with something.

Actually, a "message board" is here to discuss things, not to say everything's wonderful. Some feedback might steer the OP towards something better but to say people can't say they don't like it is ridiculous. If you don't ever want criticism you should never talk ("you" being anyone). I think people just need to not attack when they're criticizing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.