Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lotusman

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Why does Apple feel they have to reinvent the wheel?

They're scared (that the rivalry with Google might provoke Google to pull maps out from underneath them without sufficient warning)... and they're pig-headed trying to vertically integrate in a world where that has largely been proven to be business folly.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Why does Apple feel they have to reinvent the wheel?

Lest we forget, Google was withholding turn-by-turn instructions for iOS well after this feature had been implemented for Android, and the companies were evidently embroiled is some sort of larger licensing dispute over mapping (I don't recall the details, or even if they were publicly known). In any event, Apple's hand was forced. They could either get jerked around by a competitor, or bite the bullet.

You might just as well ask the same question about Microsoft and Bing Maps. FWIW, the imagery used in Bing Maps is sometimes better than either Google's or Apple's. I use aerial imagery quite a bit, and appreciate having more than one source.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
So google invented online maps? Hardly. Mapquest, Microsoft Streets and others predate it. Same with search engines, many predated them. So why does Google feel they have to reinvent the wheel?

Google didn't invent online maps, but in case you don't remember, everything stunk before them. As far as I remember, Google was the first to use AJAX to make the maps speedier as well as more intuitive and pleasant to use. MapQuest had to reload the entire page if you wanted to move, and the UI was worse to boot. You couldn't click and drag to pan; you had to use arrows to move some predetermined amount left, right, up, or down.

We have them to thank for why MapQuest and others (which have caught up, at least in UI) aren't so horrible today. Apple probably would have figured it out eventually if they made a Web-based version, but Google had this back in, at least, 2005. :)

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Because Apple doesn't want to share the users' data in order to sell advertising, and Google demands that data. I personally side with Apple on this one. It's none of Google's business where I am unless I specifically ask them to track me.

Google doesn't know exactly where someone is unless they specifically ask to be tracked by a Google service or are on a site that uses a Google service. 100% of the people using Google Maps either on a web page or with the app are explicitly asking Google to track them.

Personally, I'm fine with using Google Maps because getting to a destination reliably is important to me. I wish Apple Maps's routing and POI database was reliable in my area (Metro Atlanta); but since it's not, I have two options: drive around like I'm lost using Apple Maps or actually get somewhere with Google Maps. To me, the benefits of using Google Maps far outweigh the drawbacks.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
And since Find My Friends in iOS8 wil mainly be in messages. Let's also take messages into the broweser!

Why would we need this? The reason Find my Friends for iCloud.com would be a good idea is because there is no specific application for it, unlike Messages.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Oh good. I can see if I've dropped it in my drive next to the red VW Golf I've not owned since 2001.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I just compared them and it's still usin googles earth images.
The app on the ipad is not though.
When I zoom to my location the cars are the same in google maps and icloud.com.
There are many (100+) in the them and the ipad app only shows one car.:apple:

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
Why would we need this? The reason Find my Friends for iCloud.com would be a good idea is because there is no specific application for it, unlike Messages.

Why not? Web apps don't require updates, they only require the browser. Plus Windows users with iPhones can join in :)

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
The find my phone app has the same image as the apple earth image.

----------

Google didn't invent online maps, but in case you don't remember, everything stunk before them. As far as I remember, Google was the first to use AJAX to make the maps speedier as well as more intuitive and pleasant to use. MapQuest had to reload the entire page if you wanted to move, and the UI was worse to boot. You couldn't click and drag to pan; you had to use arrows to move some predetermined amount left, right, up, or down.

We have them to thank for why MapQuest and others (which have caught up, at least in UI) aren't so horrible today. Apple probably would have figured it out eventually if they made a Web-based version, but Google had this back in, at least, 2005. :)

They did what they could at the time. They were ok at the time and I used mapquest quite a bit.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
So google invented online maps? Hardly. Mapquest, Microsoft Streets and others predate it. Same with search engines, many predated them. So why does Google feel they have to reinvent the wheel?

Because they weren't getting all the goodies that Google was giving android customers, so the broke away. Which was a good move since Apple maps has been rather stable since it debut.

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Great... Now I can't even use find my friends and find my iPhone here in India... Thanks apple... Simply superb...

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

https://www.apple.com/apps/find-my-friends/

Personally, I wish messages were synced to iCloud like contacts, calendars, reminders, etc. are -- instead of just through backups. It's annoying when I get a new device and none of my messages are there. Just sync them like contacts so that on any devices where I log in to iCloud, all of my messages will be there.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
https://beta.icloud.com is still using Google Maps for me. Maybe the update hasn't rolled out to everyone just yet.

It's great that Apple have finally got a web version of Apple Maps up and running!

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Exactly. Not a chance I'll know where I devices are now...

----------

Or until they work as well as a 20 year old printed map.

Try a 100, mate. To this day iMaps show my building as 'Public School', and it was, back in 1903. Since then it got converted into a private school (50s), then was abandoned in late 70s, eventually converted to flats in the 80s (not a new conversion at all).

Reported it 5 times.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Here is my biggest issue with apple/ios. Even if I wanted to go back to an iphone 75% of my friends/people I interact with are now on Android which makes imessage useless yes I can use sms on Yosemite but I lose being able to see if someone has read a message and being able to reply to everyone. Apple doesn't have a music subscription available in Canada (yet) like Google play music all access. Will icloud drive be better then google drive? Can't see it being a significant difference. Other than iphoto handling pictures better then Google plus and current Google Drive. I think I would mostly be using google apps. Ok maybe I would switch back to safari but it's hard for me to justify paying $400 more for an iphone over an nexus phone for better iphoto integration and safari. I'd be mostly using google apps and services.

What it would come down to is hardware and OS. Hardware wise I still prefer the iphone's premium feel but the Nexus 5 quality has been surprisingly good. I like the rubber textured back less drops out of my hand and slippery surfaces. Also no screen smaller than 4.7 for me anymore but the next iphone will be there. OS wise kit kat has way better functionality than iOs 7 (especially notifications). I also still don't like the ugly bright icons and some ui layouts to ios 7. Androids icons aren't exactly pretty but the colours aren't as offensive to me plus I use a launcher and icon themes like winter board for ios but doesn't require a jailbreak.

There is still something about having an iphone and a complete apple ecosystem so it will be interesting if the iphone 6 and ios 8 have enough to sway me back in.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Smart move from Apple. Switching to Apple maps will prevent people from even finding their iphones again thus making them buy a new one:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.