Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Msail30bay

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2014
Penn., USA
:) A very interesting post, not sure why I did not see it before…. post date - 2013..??? I have NEVER step a foot into Walmart……… I also did not know that they were so advance. Hope they are paying you well.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I'm impressed by the technology that Walmart uses. Just before Christmas, I was attempting to find an Easy Bake Oven. Not an easy task, I can assure you. The associate scanned the shelf where it should be and then checked the inventory of all the stores in the area. She found me several in just a couple seconds.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm impressed by the technology that Walmart uses. Just before Christmas, I was attempting to find an Easy Bake Oven. Not an easy task, I can assure you. The associate scanned the shelf where it should be and then checked the inventory of all the stores in the area. She found me several in just a couple seconds.

I was able to do that at Target when I worked there 12 years ago.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I was able to do that at Target when I worked there 12 years ago.

Target can do that as well, so can Toys R Us and many others. However, Walmart has a store in my town. The others do not. Walmart has invested a lot of money in their technology. I think it is pretty impressive. I thank the OP for bringing this up.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
I was at walmart 30 minutes after it opened on Black Friday. Lines out the wazoo. There are about 30 cash registers and only 20 of them were open.

If they aren't open 30 minutes after opening on Black Friday, when WILL they be open?

Might as well just remove them and use the space for something else.

etal00

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2014
I knew some of this stuff for a Walmart cashier, but not all of that. Very informative. We get foreigners thru our store so it's nice to know they can use their chip cards on our card readers (when they are working). I was told the bottom slot would read cards as well. Not true. At least not for the non-chip cards.

Recently, NCR lost their Walmart contact. So they won't be around much longer. Just till the current contract expires. Good. At least at my store, I saw NCR as scamming Walmart. Equipment always breaking down. They come in to fix it and the next day it breaks down again with the same problem. Defective designs in hardware and software. What a joke.

noodlemanc

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Australasia
I was at walmart 30 minutes after it opened on Black Friday. Lines out the wazoo. There are about 30 cash registers and only 20 of them were open.

If they aren't open 30 minutes after opening on Black Friday, when WILL they be open?

Might as well just remove them and use the space for something else.

It's probably so they'll have registers to fall back on if some of them break down (happens a lot in those sorts of harsh environments). For example, if they only have 20 registers and then an employee accidentally drops and breaks a pinpad, they'll be down to 19 registers and that employee won't be able to work at the checkout.

dadaho

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2014
I knew some of this stuff for a Walmart cashier, but not all of that. Very informative. We get foreigners thru our store so it's nice to know they can use their chip cards on our barcode card readers (when they are working). I was told the bottom slot would read cards as well. Not true. At least not for the non-chip cards.

Recently, NCR lost their Walmart contact. So they won't be around much longer. Just till the current contract expires. Good. At least at my store, I saw NCR as scamming Walmart. Equipment always breaking down. They come in to fix it and the next day it breaks down again with the same problem. Defective designs in hardware and software. What a joke.

The working efficiency of Walmart cashiers is the least among other markets I have seen, and sometimes it took over 1minitue to scan one product. God!!!

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
Memo: A Slower Seesaw!
Very cool to know what kind of tech powers big stores. I don't shop at Wal Mart myself but can appreciate the stuff that's used to drive logistics like that.

jjb0894

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2013
I Work At Walmart Too

I work at Walmart too. I work at #2121 in Shelton, WA.
Very accurate post, did you remember all the Action Codes or did you print them out? I still struggle to remember them all (although I'm not on a register 8 hours a day, only when they call for backup assistance) Also, about the second part of the post debunking Walmart myths, I cannot agree more, its a great company to work for. I started as a holiday temp in November in Meats, moved to Photo in December and was promoted to a full time Department Manager in May (which comes with a pretty good raise and a ton of benefits). This is only my third job I've ever had and I have no prior management experience, Walmart is certainly a company that recognizes and rewards hard work, they have some amazing career opportunities as well. I too, have been amazed at some of the tech they use, a lot of it is very sophisticated tech, like the handheld Telxon (often referred to as a "Gemini"), even though they don't always work as well as expected, they're really cool.

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
It doesn't matter who you are, EVERYONE, even the store manager will have to clean up a spill if they see one. It is actually fun to see our store manager actually doing manual labor.

I'm curious to the logistics of this. Where are the cleaning supplies kept? What do you do if you're on another task and can't leave your station? Is there some kind of system for alerting other associates to the presence of the problem?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'm curious to the logistics of this. Where are the cleaning supplies kept? What do you do if you're on another task and can't leave your station? Is there some kind of system for alerting other associates to the presence of the problem?
There are periodic spill stations kept out on the sales floor. Whatever task your doing just has to be stopped to take care of the spill, unless if you're facing a customer. If you are with a customer you can either

A) if you're near an outlying register, key in the action code
B) make a page out for maintenance over the PA
C) call a nearby associate

Always use the Caution cones ;)

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
I do agree, it is almost impossible to get fired from WM.
My son worked there, in automotive, for a short while. His first mistake, while moving a customer's truck, he put the trailer hitch through another customer's grill. Then, he didn't tighten the lug nuts, on a wheel, causing the guy to loose a wheel while driving. He quit this job, last week to go back to a previous job . He hated Walmart.

Why did he hate Wal-Mart if he was so accident prone and never got his ass fired for it?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
walmart is called asda in the uk

and its the lowest class of the supermarkets, like

waitrose (middle class) -> sainsburys (working class people with expensive cars/poor people who want to live well) -> tesco (average people) -> asda (single mothers with 8 children)

i hear its of a better standard in america, i don't know if thats an attack on americans or if the supermarket is actually better over there
I am going to disagree with this Asda and Tesco is pretty much on Par and having been in Walmart in the US I would say Asda is a hugh step up from Walmart. Google "Walmart people" to see some examples of Walmart US. In the UK I would consider Lidl and Aldi to be more in the space you put Asda in.

Dissappointed

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2016
Oregon
OP, just wondering how a cashier would know what OS was running what.

I do agree, it is almost impossible to get fired from WM.
My son worked there, in automotive, for a short while. His first mistake, while moving a customer's truck, he put the trailer hitch through another customer's grill. Then, he didn't tighten the lug nuts, on a wheel, causing the guy to loose a wheel while driving. He quit this job, last week to go back to a previous job . He hated Walmart.
Obviously NO CASHIER would have all that info. Lmao!!!
[doublepost=1482950166][/doublepost]
That was actually pretty interesting and insightful!

Back in about 2007 at the Walmart in my hometown they had several self checkout lanes for about a year then they took em all out all the sudden. We still don't have any and I always wondered why. All other stores have them (Meijer, Kroger, Sam's Club) and have had them for quite some time now. I assumed that there was a large volume of theft because of the amount of stuff people buy in single purchases.
They have no training on the self checkouts! Customers try to do the work all themselves then get pinched if they screw up and miss scans. Confusing and disappointing with the treatment from Walmart as we have spent thousands of dollars thrre.

lenalin

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2017
Hello friend, I started working as a cashier at my Walmart in Chattanooga, TN. 2 weeks ago. I wanted to thank you first, for having this wonderful info. And the long list of action codes. Very helpful!! You can print one out at the register, but I kept losing it. Lol. So now I have the (Complete List) on my phone. Yay! When I first started cashiering I couldn't wait to get on a register. Once I was on one, I wowed the csm's with my skills, and customer service. But I happened to mention my interest in the online shopping department. Keep in mind I've been here only 2 weeks and 1 week with real cashiering. I love my job and expanding my interests in the company. I only hope they appreciate it. My concern is, did I ask too soon? The manager said cuz I was newly hired I had to wait while they keep an eye on me to make sure I keep my points down and watch my character. I am naturally friendly with customers, like I said, I enjoy my job. The csm's were quite impressed with my first try on a register, (Experience). but I'm concerned that I asked too soon. Some People are not used to seeing someone someone like me, constantly moving forward. Lol. I intend to keep my points in check. I'm never late. I don't call out unless I'm too sick to drive. So my next question is, how do I check my points to make sure the computer is keeping track correctly? I always clock in 7-8 minutes early. And clock out a few minutes late, almost every day, it's lead to 1 hour overtime.
Thanks again for your help. I'll look forward to a reply. God bless!

I have started a position as Cashier at Walmart a few months ago. Say what you will, but this post is about the cool tech that I discovered Walmart uses, and I am here to report to you guys, as a tech community, as to what most people do NOT know about Walmart. There will be some non-tech things in here as well. Feel free to ask me any questions, or add to what you know. Keep in mind, this is all at my store, and your local Walmart may be ran differently. The coolest tech would have to be seeing how integrated everything really is.

- Every associate uses a system called My Guide in order to find out what we have to do for the day. The best part of this, no need to report to a boss, manager, etc. The computer handles all, and tells all. Each name badge no matter who you are, has a barcode on the back. We can scan this badge at any
-My Guide hub/computer
-Price checker
-Handheld Terminal
-Inventory Terminal that is also handheld
-Register
And from there, the system will tell you what to do, from cleaning up the aisles, walking the floor to assist customers, to "Go to Register 15 and operate it." Stockers have time limits on their guide items.

- The Cash Registers are made by IBM, they are the IBM SurePOS 700. All registers run a proprietary purpose made for Point of Sale OS, called IBM 4690. I believe the 4690 OS is a derivative of SUSE Linux. Most grocers, independent retailers, run on IBM 4690, including but not limited to, Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, Safeway (Windows XP front end, but 4690 software runs on top of Windows XP, using something called IBM Terminal Services (not the same as MS Terminal Services)), and Michaels. Walmart is actually up to date on the Point of Sale software, as evident by the Toshiba logos during the boot up process (Toshiba bought out the IBM POS division not too long ago).

- Every Walmart, and Walmart owned store in the entire world, including ASDA in the UK, Walmart China, Canada, Mexico, Best Price in India etc all run on the same IBM 4690 system. Yes this means we can check inventory on whats selling at Best Price in India right now.

- On touchscreen registers, the software that runs is Java based.

- On registers where there is a screen facing you, the customer, it is a touchscreen, you can use it to scroll up and down on your receipt.

- Walmart actually takes EMV (Chip & PIN), and our terminals will actually prompt you to "Insert or Slide card Quickly"…sad that less than 1% of customers will actually know what this is, less, actually know we support it…unfortunately unless you're from Europe, most people including Cashiers do not even know what Chip & PIN is. If you're from Europe, or have a Chip & PIN enabled card, go ahead and try it, place it in the EMV slot on the bottom of the terminal, type in your PIN and it'll work and process just fine. To the cashier, it just shows up to them as a normal credit card, and they will hit the "Credit" key like they always have, and it goes through just fine. No signature required, as it was a Chip & PIN card. I actually had the luxury of processing one, as I checked out a customer who lives in the UK. They did not know that ASDA was owned by Walmart, despite having such a huge Walmart presence over there.

- Older stores do not have touchscreen registers, but newer, as well as recently remodeled stores have touchscreen registers, thankfully mine does, otherwise, I would need to remember Action Codes. More on Action Codes later.

-Our registers do a lot more than just check people out. From here, using specific "Action Codes" we can, do random things such as call someone over for a price check, tell someone we need to go to the bathroom, get a mess cleaned up, get help with an angry customer, get more change, etc.

Here is a list of Action Codes, whether or not the register is equipped with a touchscreen, you can use these, but with a touchscreen, thankfully all of the options are just displayed on the screen:

1 - Complete Transaciton Void
2 - Terminal Statistics Report
3 - Terminal Accounting Report
4 - Department Totals
6 - Price Inquiry
7 - Reset Transaction Number
9 - Training Mode
10 - Operator Performance
13 - Payroll Check Cashing
14 - Application Memory Usage
17 - Refresh Tax Tables
18 - Refresh Configuration
23 - Suspended Transaction Report
24 - CSM Override Approval
25 - Shopping Card Cash Back
55 - Reload Phone Cards
60 - Print Previous Journal Data
61 - Reprint Previous Receipt
69 - Cashier Online Training
70 - Utility Payments/Credit Card Payments
91 - TC # Lookup and Decryption
** 8. Wal-Mart Cashier Codes: CSM Assistance Codes **
202 - Cancel Previous Request
203 - Need Change
204 - Need Restroom Break
205 - Need Break / Lunch
206 - Need Receipt Tape
207 - Need Carry Out (Getting someone to help take your items to your car, yes we do still provide this service, little known fact).
208 - Need Cash Pickup
209 - Need Price Check
210 - Need Cleanup **Dry**
211 - Break $100 Bill
212 - Need Loan
213 - Need WIC Assistance
214 - Lines Are Long
215 - Need Cleanup **Wet**
216 - Customer Emergency
217 - Need Round of Change
218 - Need Check Approval
248 - Customer Assistance

-As a cashier we are rated based on our scans per hour. The highest one in our store generally gets cool stuff such as gift cards, movie tickets etc. From what I see, there is no punishment for getting a low scan per hour, you just don't get rewarded. You can check by pressing Action Code 10.

- Because our registers do so much, they got rid of our cashier phones, which I believe they should have never taken out, and kept the phones there. As from time to time, customers ask us to page someone. In this case, we press Action Code 243, and tell the CSM to page someone for us.

-If you don't take your required breaks or lunches, your register will lock you out. If you see our lane light off, and we are finishing up with a customer, the register already warned us that "Operator Lockout is Approaching", so if you come in the line anyway, and we can't serve you, this is most likely the reason.

-Cashiers have bosses, that are called CSMs, or Customer Service Managers, they are hourly employees who help to oversee all of the cashiers. You probably have seen or dealt with them at some time during a difficult transaction. These are the guys who comes to turn the key when anything goes wrong with the transaction. (not all the time do they have to turn the key, as they can do it remotely from their handheld…more on this later), and they can override just about anything. Sometimes they are running a register to also check people out, when an over ride is needed, they need to call ANOTHER CSM to do the override, as the system will not let your override your self, which is actually funny. If you are the only CSM working on that day, you better not run a register, because if you do, and you need an override, you are now stuck. You can't even log out, and in order to clock out, you need to be able to log out.

- The CSMs carry around Motorola MC55 handhelds to be able to receive those messages from the cashiers.

- The self checkouts are NCR SelfServ models, and run on Windows XP. They connect to the 4690 based system using IBM Terminal Services (as mentioned above on how 4690 can run on top of MS Windows). They definitely do run the 4690 system, the same as the cashiers are using in the background, and if someone ever comes to assist you for something such as an age restricted item, you'll see the background system in action. Pay attention next time when purchasing Alcohol at self checkout. Kind of cool to see.

-Walmart is truly a Multi-OS store, the Associate (Employee) management system, which manages the entire store, runs on SuSE Linux. The 4690 OS (mentioned above about the registers) I believe is now Linux based, running on IRES, or IBM Retail Environment for SUSE. The servers run on Windows Server 2008 and provides for thin client sessions (more on this on the next bullet point).

-Other than the registers, and the computers that are for sale, there are no "real computers" in the store, by that I mean, with a hard drive, a locally installed OS, etc. All "computers" in the store are WYSE thin clients, that connect to the aforementioned Windows Server 2008 server to provide us with a "Desktop environment." Everyone has access to these computers, but the system will not let you log in, unless you're clocked in for work. This means if you need to even do something like change or setup your direct deposit information, you have to clock in before you can do so. The same goes for the registers as well.

-Anyone can be "register trained", that includes the people greeters, and the maintenance associates. They will be called to help with the registers in the event there aren't enough cashiers.

-Despite all of the IBM installed equipment, NCR actually comes and does our maintenance (NCR is IBM's largest competitor in the point of sale market). NCR also maintains everything else tech related in the store, from the registers, to the thin clients, to the server, my guide hubs, to the time clock. I never knew that NCR did IT Consulting until I started my work at Walmart. NCR actually services more IBM equipment than IBM does, all due to the Walmart contract.

-The Price verifiers have touch screens. As customers the only thing you can do is scan an item, and it'll tell you how much it is. The touch screens don't do anything unless you're an associate. Scan your badge, and the touchscreen comes to life, and lets you do random things from a price checker, such as Check your work schedule, or checking what you have to do for the day. They are Motorola MK4000, running on Windows CE. As a customer, whatever price is displayed on here, is EXACTLY what you'll get at the register, for they come from the same server. No need to ask twice.

-Every store associate has a Walmart email address. Most associates don't even know this, but it is .s@walmart.com. Associates can check their email from the company intranet, using Outlook Web Access. Again, you can only check your email while you're in the store, and clocked in.

- The handheld terminals, are Motorola MC55s for the CSMs, and Motorola MC3100 for the stockers, and sales floor Associates. The associates refer to them as "Telxons", "Gemeni", or "PDA"….At our store, associates like to call them the "Gemeni", me having a tech background, just called it a Motorola, and the other associates caught on. These run on either Windows Mobile or Windows CE depending on the device. Newer ones are all Windows Mobile 6.

-The aforementioned handheld terminals, like our registers, also do a lot more than you know, including tell us if a spill is too hazardous to touch or not. If it is too hazardous, Haz-Mat is called to throw the contents of it away. You could also check your MyGuide from these terminals if you have one.

Other random myths debunked you may or may not know about Walmart (At least at my store).

- We all actually enjoy our jobs. Despite all of the myths, they actually treat us pretty well. Never has anyone been fired or reprimanded for talking about a union etc, like the media said. Honestly with the way things are ran, its pretty hard to get fired from a Walmart, unless you're truly doing something wrong, such as stealing, or beating a customer up. We know what our job is, and for many, this is their only job.

- Walmart does not help you get government assistance, like the media said. Unless they mean going to Google or something while you're on a store computer- but obviously this doesn't count, as there are no signs, or anything. It would be truly your own choice to apply for government assistance.

- We recently had a Christmas party, at the party, there were prizes given out in drawings, ranging from $100 gift cards to random place such as AMC Theaters, to Walmart gift cards.

- It doesn't matter who you are, EVERYONE, even the store manager will have to clean up a spill if they see one. It is actually fun to see our store manager actually doing manual labor.

- Even the store manager will check people out at a register if the front end gets too busy.

- We get Christmas off. We are closed on Christmas.

- Home Office controls everything, right down to our schedules, and even the temperature of the store (HVAC system). They can adjust the temperature for you when you call them and ask them to.

- On regular days, at stores that are NOT 24 hours, the store is only closed to customers. There is A LOT going on while the store is closed, mainly the stockers, overnighters, and inventory workers.

- Granted we are a nicer store than most other Walmarts, I've never seen anyone who looked like people on PeopleOfWalmart.com

- Ol' Roy dog food is named that because Sam Walton's dog was named Roy.

- We usually get a discount of some type at businesses that chose to open their doors inside of a Walmart, such as the in-store Subway (some have a McD's), the hair cut place, or some extra perks with your account at the in-store bank branch.

- Us Walmart associates say that Target is our sworn enemy. We do support our company and our store, so what we can buy from Walmart, we actually do. Recently with the news about Target's credit card data being hacked, a lot of associates actually said things such as "haha sucks to be Target" or "They suck anyway and deserve to have that happen, should have came to Walmart", or "At least we were prepared, Target should have done better"….Some associates I think definitely get a little TOOO INTO IT…..Honestly I think we are on top of it, since we support Chip & PIN but no other retailer in the US that I know of does

Koh deeh

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2017
Because most people don't understand how high tech and complicated retail can be. To the average person walking into a regular Walmart, all they see is items on shelves.

I don't think "most people" are truly that slow, seeing ALL of those items on the shelves is probably the thing that makes people imagine the intricacy involved in keeping said items on those shelves and the 2 other super Wal-Marts in town then the thousands worldwide which spins them into crippling depression when they start thinking about how many hours of child labor the company is knowingly responsible since they are the one driving the wages of desperate chinese manufacturers down who in order to win bids drive the already "low low prices" even lower just to keep their business afloat which drastically effects the factory workers wages which becomes so low that every able bodied family member has to work to survive. And of course every other retail company is forced to compete with ole "merica-mart" which means that it is financially impossible to seek manufacturers that do not use child labor, but in a way competitors like K-mart and target act as a buffer from being virtual slaves. But seriously the fact that they save so much money by illegally paying employees (who just happen to be federal jurisdiction) under minimum wage its still not enough so they had to go and cut as much cost as as legally possible in the US. And deploy shills like the OP to try and deceive people.

Reactions: BarracksSi

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have started a position as Cashier at Walmart a few months ago. Say what you will, but this post is about the cool tech that I discovered Walmart uses, and I am here to report to you guys, as a tech community, as to what most people do NOT know about Walmart. There will be some non-tech things in here as well. Feel free to ask me any questions, or add to what you know. Keep in mind, this is all at my store, and your local Walmart may be ran differently. The coolest tech would have to be seeing how integrated everything really is.

- Every associate uses a system called My Guide in order to find out what we have to do for the day. The best part of this, no need to report to a boss, manager, etc. The computer handles all, and tells all. Each name badge no matter who you are, has a barcode on the back. We can scan this badge at any
-My Guide hub/computer
-Price checker
-Handheld Terminal
-Inventory Terminal that is also handheld
-Register
And from there, the system will tell you what to do, from cleaning up the aisles, walking the floor to assist customers, to "Go to Register 15 and operate it." Stockers have time limits on their guide items.

- The Cash Registers are made by IBM, they are the IBM SurePOS 700. All registers run a proprietary purpose made for Point of Sale OS, called IBM 4690. I believe the 4690 OS is a derivative of SUSE Linux. Most grocers, independent retailers, run on IBM 4690, including but not limited to, Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, Safeway (Windows XP front end, but 4690 software runs on top of Windows XP, using something called IBM Terminal Services (not the same as MS Terminal Services)), and Michaels. Walmart is actually up to date on the Point of Sale software, as evident by the Toshiba logos during the boot up process (Toshiba bought out the IBM POS division not too long ago).

- Every Walmart, and Walmart owned store in the entire world, including ASDA in the UK, Walmart China, Canada, Mexico, Best Price in India etc all run on the same IBM 4690 system. Yes this means we can check inventory on whats selling at Best Price in India right now.

- On touchscreen registers, the software that runs is Java based.

- On registers where there is a screen facing you, the customer, it is a touchscreen, you can use it to scroll up and down on your receipt.

- Walmart actually takes EMV (Chip & PIN), and our terminals will actually prompt you to "Insert or Slide card Quickly"…sad that less than 1% of customers will actually know what this is, less, actually know we support it…unfortunately unless you're from Europe, most people including Cashiers do not even know what Chip & PIN is. If you're from Europe, or have a Chip & PIN enabled card, go ahead and try it, place it in the EMV slot on the bottom of the terminal, type in your PIN and it'll work and process just fine. To the cashier, it just shows up to them as a normal credit card, and they will hit the "Credit" key like they always have, and it goes through just fine. No signature required, as it was a Chip & PIN card. I actually had the luxury of processing one, as I checked out a customer who lives in the UK. They did not know that ASDA was owned by Walmart, despite having such a huge Walmart presence over there.

- Older stores do not have touchscreen registers, but newer, as well as recently remodeled stores have touchscreen registers, thankfully mine does, otherwise, I would need to remember Action Codes. More on Action Codes later.

-Our registers do a lot more than just check people out. From here, using specific "Action Codes" we can, do random things such as call someone over for a price check, tell someone we need to go to the bathroom, get a mess cleaned up, get help with an angry customer, get more change, etc.

Here is a list of Action Codes, whether or not the register is equipped with a touchscreen, you can use these, but with a touchscreen, thankfully all of the options are just displayed on the screen:

1 - Complete Transaciton Void
2 - Terminal Statistics Report
3 - Terminal Accounting Report
4 - Department Totals
6 - Price Inquiry
7 - Reset Transaction Number
9 - Training Mode
10 - Operator Performance
13 - Payroll Check Cashing
14 - Application Memory Usage
17 - Refresh Tax Tables
18 - Refresh Configuration
23 - Suspended Transaction Report
24 - CSM Override Approval
25 - Shopping Card Cash Back
55 - Reload Phone Cards
60 - Print Previous Journal Data
61 - Reprint Previous Receipt
69 - Cashier Online Training
70 - Utility Payments/Credit Card Payments
91 - TC # Lookup and Decryption
** 8. Wal-Mart Cashier Codes: CSM Assistance Codes **
202 - Cancel Previous Request
203 - Need Change
204 - Need Restroom Break
205 - Need Break / Lunch
206 - Need Receipt Tape
207 - Need Carry Out (Getting someone to help take your items to your car, yes we do still provide this service, little known fact).
208 - Need Cash Pickup
209 - Need Price Check
210 - Need Cleanup **Dry**
211 - Break $100 Bill
212 - Need Loan
213 - Need WIC Assistance
214 - Lines Are Long
215 - Need Cleanup **Wet**
216 - Customer Emergency
217 - Need Round of Change
218 - Need Check Approval
248 - Customer Assistance

-As a cashier we are rated based on our scans per hour. The highest one in our store generally gets cool stuff such as gift cards, movie tickets etc. From what I see, there is no punishment for getting a low scan per hour, you just don't get rewarded. You can check by pressing Action Code 10.

- Because our registers do so much, they got rid of our cashier phones, which I believe they should have never taken out, and kept the phones there. As from time to time, customers ask us to page someone. In this case, we press Action Code 243, and tell the CSM to page someone for us.

-If you don't take your required breaks or lunches, your register will lock you out. If you see our lane light off, and we are finishing up with a customer, the register already warned us that "Operator Lockout is Approaching", so if you come in the line anyway, and we can't serve you, this is most likely the reason.

-Cashiers have bosses, that are called CSMs, or Customer Service Managers, they are hourly employees who help to oversee all of the cashiers. You probably have seen or dealt with them at some time during a difficult transaction. These are the guys who comes to turn the key when anything goes wrong with the transaction. (not all the time do they have to turn the key, as they can do it remotely from their handheld…more on this later), and they can override just about anything. Sometimes they are running a register to also check people out, when an over ride is needed, they need to call ANOTHER CSM to do the override, as the system will not let your override your self, which is actually funny. If you are the only CSM working on that day, you better not run a register, because if you do, and you need an override, you are now stuck. You can't even log out, and in order to clock out, you need to be able to log out.

- The CSMs carry around Motorola MC55 handhelds to be able to receive those messages from the cashiers.

- The self checkouts are NCR SelfServ models, and run on Windows XP. They connect to the 4690 based system using IBM Terminal Services (as mentioned above on how 4690 can run on top of MS Windows). They definitely do run the 4690 system, the same as the cashiers are using in the background, and if someone ever comes to assist you for something such as an age restricted item, you'll see the background system in action. Pay attention next time when purchasing Alcohol at self checkout. Kind of cool to see.

-Walmart is truly a Multi-OS store, the Associate (Employee) management system, which manages the entire store, runs on SuSE Linux. The 4690 OS (mentioned above about the registers) I believe is now Linux based, running on IRES, or IBM Retail Environment for SUSE. The servers run on Windows Server 2008 and provides for thin client sessions (more on this on the next bullet point).

-Other than the registers, and the computers that are for sale, there are no "real computers" in the store, by that I mean, with a hard drive, a locally installed OS, etc. All "computers" in the store are WYSE thin clients, that connect to the aforementioned Windows Server 2008 server to provide us with a "Desktop environment." Everyone has access to these computers, but the system will not let you log in, unless you're clocked in for work. This means if you need to even do something like change or setup your direct deposit information, you have to clock in before you can do so. The same goes for the registers as well.

-Anyone can be "register trained", that includes the people greeters, and the maintenance associates. They will be called to help with the registers in the event there aren't enough cashiers.

-Despite all of the IBM installed equipment, NCR actually comes and does our maintenance (NCR is IBM's largest competitor in the point of sale market). NCR also maintains everything else tech related in the store, from the registers, to the thin clients, to the server, my guide hubs, to the time clock. I never knew that NCR did IT Consulting until I started my work at Walmart. NCR actually services more IBM equipment than IBM does, all due to the Walmart contract.

-The Price verifiers have touch screens. As customers the only thing you can do is scan an item, and it'll tell you how much it is. The touch screens don't do anything unless you're an associate. Scan your badge, and the touchscreen comes to life, and lets you do random things from a price checker, such as Check your work schedule, or checking what you have to do for the day. They are Motorola MK4000, running on Windows CE. As a customer, whatever price is displayed on here, is EXACTLY what you'll get at the register, for they come from the same server. No need to ask twice.

-Every store associate has a Walmart email address. Most associates don't even know this, but it is .s@walmart.com. Associates can check their email from the company intranet, using Outlook Web Access. Again, you can only check your email while you're in the store, and clocked in.

- The handheld terminals, are Motorola MC55s for the CSMs, and Motorola MC3100 for the stockers, and sales floor Associates. The associates refer to them as "Telxons", "Gemeni", or "PDA"….At our store, associates like to call them the "Gemeni", me having a tech background, just called it a Motorola, and the other associates caught on. These run on either Windows Mobile or Windows CE depending on the device. Newer ones are all Windows Mobile 6.

-The aforementioned handheld terminals, like our registers, also do a lot more than you know, including tell us if a spill is too hazardous to touch or not. If it is too hazardous, Haz-Mat is called to throw the contents of it away. You could also check your MyGuide from these terminals if you have one.

Other random myths debunked you may or may not know about Walmart (At least at my store).

- We all actually enjoy our jobs. Despite all of the myths, they actually treat us pretty well. Never has anyone been fired or reprimanded for talking about a union etc, like the media said. Honestly with the way things are ran, its pretty hard to get fired from a Walmart, unless you're truly doing something wrong, such as stealing, or beating a customer up. We know what our job is, and for many, this is their only job.

- Walmart does not help you get government assistance, like the media said. Unless they mean going to Google or something while you're on a store computer- but obviously this doesn't count, as there are no signs, or anything. It would be truly your own choice to apply for government assistance.

- We recently had a Christmas party, at the party, there were prizes given out in drawings, ranging from $100 gift cards to random place such as AMC Theaters, to Walmart gift cards.

- It doesn't matter who you are, EVERYONE, even the store manager will have to clean up a spill if they see one. It is actually fun to see our store manager actually doing manual labor.

- Even the store manager will check people out at a register if the front end gets too busy.

- We get Christmas off. We are closed on Christmas.

- Home Office controls everything, right down to our schedules, and even the temperature of the store (HVAC system). They can adjust the temperature for you when you call them and ask them to.

- On regular days, at stores that are NOT 24 hours, the store is only closed to customers. There is A LOT going on while the store is closed, mainly the stockers, overnighters, and inventory workers.

- Granted we are a nicer store than most other Walmarts, I've never seen anyone who looked like people on PeopleOfWalmart.com

- Ol' Roy dog food is named that because Sam Walton's dog was named Roy.

- We usually get a discount of some type at businesses that chose to open their doors inside of a Walmart, such as the in-store Subway (some have a McD's), the hair cut place, or some extra perks with your account at the in-store bank branch.

- Us Walmart associates say that Target is our sworn enemy. We do support our company and our store, so what we can buy from Walmart, we actually do. Recently with the news about Target's credit card data being hacked, a lot of associates actually said things such as "haha sucks to be Target" or "They suck anyway and deserve to have that happen, should have came to Walmart", or "At least we were prepared, Target should have done better"….Some associates I think definitely get a little TOOO INTO IT…..Honestly I think we are on top of it, since we support Chip & PIN but no other retailer in the US that I know of does
What brought on this verbose post? More info than I needed. ;)
You don't have to worry about Target at least in the Houston area, the Walmart parking lot is over flowing, the Target lot is usually a third to half full. Personally I visit Walmart on occasion, admitting it has better selection, more variety, but as a retail space, I prefer Target.

...ressurected thread, doh! :oops: Hey, are you still working for Walmart? :)

Kelliott67

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2018
washington
I am nervous about posting this question but I must ask if you know if the hand held terminals perform actions that include activating pre paid gift cards, phone cards ect? A friend of mine got fired from a wal mart store and when he left he took the motorola device and say's that he can sit in the parking lot and enter employee number and activate stolen pre paid visa cards and such. This sounds far fetched because I think once wal mart notices this computer is mission they will deactivate it. "my friend" is actually my really annoying neighbor and I really just want this info so I can call him out and prove that he is full of S!*#.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I am nervous about posting this question but I must ask if you know if the hand held terminals perform actions that include activating pre paid gift cards, phone cards ect? A friend of mine got fired from a wal mart store and when he left he took the motorola device and say's that he can sit in the parking lot and enter employee number and activate stolen pre paid visa cards and such. This sounds far fetched because I think once wal mart notices this computer is mission they will deactivate it. "my friend" is actually my really annoying neighbor and I really just want this info so I can call him out and prove that he is full of S!*#.
He’s full of ****, as those actions are done on a register, not a handheld. Also the handhelds don’t do anything without a login. You can wipe them and use them for something else but That’s it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.