Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mindyish

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
I have an iphone 4 on bb 4.0.11 and have been waiting on an unlock for 6 months since buying it on ebay before doing my homework and realizing it couldn't be unlocked. I am currently with t-mobile. I have googled and found AT&T is supposedly unlocking them but I am guessing you have to be with them as a carrier. Any way to get them to unlock if you aren't with them?

ummmwoah

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
Maybe

It seems that many people have had success with unlocks despite not being ATT customers. Some with phones from ebay and others with full price no-commitment purchases. Try your luck and call the customer support line, 1-800-331-0500. Some say that you have a better chance if you can get through to technical support instead of just CSR. Also, they might ask you for proof of purchase. You can also read up more about other people's experiences in this thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14697485#post14697485

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
It seems that many people have had success with unlocks despite not being ATT customers. Some with phones from ebay and others with full price no-commitment purchases. Try your luck and call the customer support line, 1-800-331-0500. Some say that you have a better chance if you can get through to technical support instead of just CSR. Also, they might ask you for proof of purchase. You can also read up more about other people's experiences in this thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14697485#post14697485

Take this with a grain of salt. "success" is having them submit a case. I don't think any of us (we the non-ATT customers) have had devices unlocked yet. It'll take some time of course, but I think you will be able to submit a case...whether or not the unlock goes through is still unknown for now.

mindyish

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Well, I called and they were really nice and checked the IMEI for me and submitted my case and claimed id hear back by email within 48 hours and gave me a case# to call and check status if I hadn't heard by then. Well, heres hopin' :)

avgsort

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
Well, I called and they were really nice and checked the IMEI for me and submitted my case and claimed id hear back by email within 48 hours and gave me a case# to call and check status if I hadn't heard by then. Well, heres hopin' :)

Did it work out for you?

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
i chatted with them online! dont have any account! and they unlocked my three iPhone right away!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
If you you're not a customer you can't use chat, use the phone numbers.

1-800-331-0500 Billing,activation and support.

1-916-843-4685 Overseas

I used the tech support, got a case number and unlock followed within 72hrs, confirmation email in 4 days.

I have a commitment-free IP4.

If you get a case number the unlock process is underway, otherwise they'll read you a standard not eligible clause. They have several reasons to be eligible for an unlock, the standard out of contract didn't work for me, but the commitment-free one did.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
I'll just add there are tons of IEMI unlocks out there now as low as $5 on ebay. there is a big thread here listing the one people had success with. it will wok all the way to iphone 5

Last edited by a moderator:

Night*Rider

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2014
Bangladesh
How to unlock my iphone 4s, i am not a at&t subscriber?

Hello Everyone,
A few days ago i bought an iphone 4s from ebay. Everything is fine, but it's locked to att carrier. I checked the IMEI it's clean and out of contract. I request to the seller to unlock it for me, because it's free for her, but she is not interest to do that. She is telling me to call att and give them the imei number then they will unlock it for me? But i call +18003310500 from skype they are asking for owner of the accounts last 4 digit of the SSN number? But i don't have ssn and i don't have any account with att, since i am not a US citizen. I live in Banlgadesh. There is other way to unlock they told me, but it's require an former or current good standing att account, to request a device unlock?

Is there any other way to unlock it through att by call or chat??
Please someone help me!!!
I'll appreciate your help???

Thanks. :(

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Hello Everyone,
A few days ago i bought an iphone 4s from ebay. Everything is fine, but it's locked to att carrier. I checked the IMEI it's clean and out of contract. I request to the seller to unlock it for me, because it's free for her, but she is not interest to do that. She is telling me to call att and give them the imei number then they will unlock it for me? But i call +18003310500 from skype they are asking for owner of the accounts last 4 digit of the SSN number? But i don't have ssn and i don't have any account with att, since i am not a US citizen. I live in Banlgadesh. There is other way to unlock they told me, but it's require an former or current good standing att account, to request a device unlock?

Is there any other way to unlock it through att by call or chat??
Please someone help me!!!
I'll appreciate your help???

Thanks. :(

Did you buy it with the phone being advertised as locked to AT&T? Or advertised as factory unlocked?

Night*Rider

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2014
Bangladesh
The phone was locked to att. But i requested her to unlock it before the auction end. And she committed with me, if i won the auction and after i received the phone on my hand. She will submit a unlock request to att to unlock it? So i bid on there confidently.
But now she doesn't want to unlock it for me? She is telling me to unlock it by call to att. I got the phone with some delay for customs and shipping, and now already gone 56 days? I am unable to file a claim on ebay now??

I did some research on online, how to unlock an iphone for non att customer. After that i found something,

And i live chatted with an att representative through online and also tried to call with this care number,
+1-800-331-0500 But they are asking for my account name and my wireless number and for security, last 4 digit of ssn number to verify that i am the original owner? But i don't have any of one?? I told them i don't have wireless number because i bought it from overseas, i am from Bangladesh. They are telling me, then there is no other way they can help me about it? Only a former or current good standing customer can make a request to att to unlock a device?

I don't have any friend with att account?
What should i do now? Please help me??

Last edited:

Night*Rider

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2014
Bangladesh
Pay to have it unlocked.
You cant do it for free.

Ok Thanks..
I know i'll have to do that, but i hoped there were other way to unlock it through att?

----------

Would anyone with an active account be willing to help me get this phone unlocked for me? I'll really appreciate your help?? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.