Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Is there any reason not to keep custom icons in the CoreTypes.bundle along with the system icons? Do you keep them as a subfolder within your Pictures? I'm curious what other people do. I've been keeping mine in Documents but don't want them there anymore.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Is there any reason not to keep custom icons in the CoreTypes.bundle along with the system icons? Do you keep them as a subfolder within your Pictures? I'm curious what other people do. I've been keeping mine in Documents but don't want them there anymore.

I keep mine stored on an external drive. They are stored in subfolders within a main Icons folder. Each app has its own subfolder. Keeps them clearly separated, which makes it easier for me to find when I want to update them. I keep all my design work stored externally. Be it for business or personal. Same with wallpapers.

Is there any reason not to keep custom icons in the CoreTypes.bundle along with the system icons? Yes! For the simple reason of confusion or possibly making a mistake in naming a file. Better to keep custom made icons separate. At least that is what I prefer. There is absolutely no reason why you can not though.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I keep mine in Pictures > Icons and from there in sub-folders named for the specific icon theme (I like having themed icon sets).

iplayerboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
The only place to keep these icons, images & such stuff is Icons Folder that I have created in my cloud drive, that is secure enough & I have subscribed to the service to stay updated whenever I use any device.. :)

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Where do you keep your custom icons and wallpapers?

I put those I use the most in a photo album app called MyPhoto. The rest I put in Dropbox.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I settled on keeping them in their own folder on an external drive where I keep my photos and symlinked within Pictures. I wish there was a way to change "Pictures" to be called Images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.