Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:50 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Intel's Broadwell Chips for Most Macs Not Shipping Until Early to Mid 2015

Intel's line of 14-nanometer Broadwell chips, which are expected to be included in future versions of the MacBook Air, Retina MacBook Pro, and iMac, have been further delayed, reports Chinese site VR Zone [Google Translate] (via CPU World).

According to the site, while Intel will begin production on its extremely low power Core M processors in July and August for a 2014 launch, production on the U and H Broadwell chip series will not begin until much later in the year.

As a result, the Broadwell U 2+3 dual-core chips with GT3 (HD 5000 or Iris) graphics, likely slated for use in the MacBook Air and the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, won't be ready to ship until February of 2015. The Broadwell H 4+3e quad-core chips with Iris Pro graphics designed for the larger Retina MacBook Pro and iMac won't be shipping until July 2015 at the earliest.

Back in May, Intel CEO Brian Krzanich promised Broadwell processors for the 2014 holiday season, but it appears that the promised chips will be limited to the company's Core M processor series, used in ultra low power products like two-in-one computers. Broadwell chips suitable for Apple products will not make their first appearance until 2015, which Intel essentially confirmed to CNET in June.
Quote:
"We expect the initial Broadwell-based devices, including fanless 2-in-1s built on the Core M processor, will be on shelves by the end of this year with more products and broader OEM availability in 2015," Intel told CNET on Wednesday.
Intel's Broadwell chips have seen several delays over the course of 2013 and 2014, and were originally slated to enter production in late 2013 before production was delayed until Q1 2014 and then Q3 2014. The delays are reportedly due to problems with the 14-nanometer process used to manufacture the chips.

Intel's continual Broadwell delays are likely impacting Apple's own release plans. Rumors have suggested Apple is planning a fall launch of a refreshed Retina MacBook Pro and a new 12-inch MacBook Air, but it is unclear which chips the company will use. Apple may only be able to offer a minor Haswell processor boost for the Retina MacBook Pro, which will be the only update the line sees until Broadwell is ready. Apple has already given the MacBook Air a Haswell refresh bump alongside a price drop with an update in late April.

On the desktop side, Apple introduced a new low-end iMac last month, but otherwise the lineup has not been updated since last September. The Mac mini has not even been updated to Haswell yet, with its last revision coming in October 2012. It is unknown why Apple has not released updated Mac mini models, as appropriate Haswell chips are readily available.

Intel's Broadwell chips are said to be 30 percent faster and more power efficient than Haswell, offering even greater increases in battery life and performance. According to Intel, the Broadwell delays will not affect the company's next line of processors, Skylake, as the chips are based on new architecture. Broadwell, however, will have a very short lifespan as Skylake has a prospective late 2015 release date.

Article Link: Intel's Broadwell Chips for Most Macs Not Shipping Until Early to Mid 2015
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:50 AM   #2
maflynn

That bites - so much for seeing new rMBPs this year
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:51 AM   #3
joshwenke
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to joshwenke Send a message via Skype™ to joshwenke
Are you telling me we have to wait LONGER for all this cool new stuff that we've been hearing about?
joshwenke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:53 AM   #4
sza
macrumors regular

How about shipping with AMD chips?
sza is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:53 AM   #5
thebrobrah
macrumors regular

;S...

damn..wanted to replace my air with a pro..

still will, but a lot later than anticipated
thebrobrah is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:54 AM   #6
Sunday Ironfoot
macrumors regular

Looks like I won't be upgrading my iMac w/ retina display until next year. Oh well, saves me a bit of money in the mean time
Sunday Ironfoot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:54 AM   #7
SpamJunkie
macrumors member

Does this mean no new retina macbooks this year?

If that's the case, I might as well buy right now. Worth updating the buyer's guide?
SpamJunkie is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:55 AM   #8
maelstromr
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
That bites - so much for seeing new rMBPs this year
Sad trombone.

But still a possibility of a refresh with maybe the new nvidia card? A small processor bump will be disappointing, but I can't imagine they will let it go a full year from now without something more than that.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:55 AM   #9
Crosscreek
macrumors 65816

Yeh, seen this in an article this morning.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/com...-cpus--1256530
Crosscreek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:55 AM   #10
strwrsfrk
macrumors regular

Disappointing

That is certainly a bummer, particularly if the speculation is correct and the 13" rMBP line is still limited to dual-core chips this generation.
PC Custom, 4.2GHz 4770K, 16GB DDR3-2400, 1TB SSD, GTX 780
strwrsfrk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:55 AM   #11
philipk
macrumors 6502

This is good news for me. Even though MacRumors lists the iMac as a caution purchase, I just ordered a 27" on Monday.

I couldn't wait as I needed it now.

Now it may not be superseded in 2 months.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:55 AM   #12
iMacmatician
macrumors 601

We could see minor Haswell bumps on the iMac and MacBook Pro later this year. I don't think the MacBook Air will get another Haswell refresh as it was already refreshed in April.
iMacmatician is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:56 AM   #13
Kobayagi
macrumors 6502

Off topic for a sec:

With all these iWatch and 6'' iPhone rumors, have people forgot about the Apple TV? I mean as a actual television from Apple. What happened to that, no rumors or any news whatsoever.

On topic:

Hopefully they'll come with a new rMBA, very interested in that. I currently got a '11 model, but hope they can improve the screen on the next version. It looks dated next to the retina models.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:56 AM   #14
SilianRail
macrumors 6502

Eventually Moore's law runs into the laws of physics.
SilianRail is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:57 AM   #15
DavidBlack
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sza View Post
That would mean porting OS X to work on AMD. Just like how Apple did the transition from PowerPC to Intel. That is very unlikely.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:57 AM   #16
adamw
macrumors regular

This is not good news for Intel or Apple. If Intel can not innovate fast enough and get new chips to market in a timely manner, then it gives their competitors a foot hold to seize market share (ARM, AMD, etc.)
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:58 AM   #17
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sza View Post
This is why Intel needs some real competition. AMD is not on par. Not even close.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:59 AM   #18
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilianRail View Post
No, it means that Intel realizes the future is in '2 in 1' products and has essentially abandoned its traditional market to play catchup to ARM.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:59 AM   #19
spaceballl
macrumors 68030

The real reason for the delay is that their competition (AMD) isn't innovating at all to push Intel to NEED to release Broadwell early / on time...
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:59 AM   #20
straighttech
macrumors newbie

Are Intel's days in Apple's Macs numbered?

When you consider the pace at which Intel releases new CPUs these days, I'm wondering more and more whether Apple will migrate away from Intel and move to in-house A-series CPUs some day in the future.

Apple's custom silicon isn't at a point where it can power a Mac, but based on the pace at which Apple is developing its own CPUs, you have to wonder how far off that day really is.

Apple's closed ecosystem has become so large that its taking on the characteristics of a traditionally open one:

http://halifaxbloggers.ca/straightte...walled-garden/
straighttech is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:00 AM   #21
iZac
macrumors 65816

Constant delays with existing CPU partner keeping Apple from delivering world class hardware to its customers, when there is another CPU platform which is rapidly developing better and faster low power 64 bit processors?

This sounds familiar ...

I'm only half serious guys, don't tear this post apart!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:01 AM   #22
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
I picked up my Retina MacBook Pro after hearing about this 2 weeks ago. The desktop roadmap is a nightmare too.

http://wccftech.com/broadwell-launch...arter-of-2015/

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceballl View Post
The real reason for the delay is that their competition (AMD) isn't innovating at all to push Intel to NEED to release Broadwell early / on time...
It is easier just to clear out the existing pipeline of Haswell products.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:01 AM   #23
The Mercurian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilianRail View Post
This.

RIP Moore's Law.
The Mercurian is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:02 AM   #24
Tubamajuba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBlack View Post
That would mean porting OS X to work on AMD. Just like how Apple did the transition from PowerPC to Intel.
It's nothing like the transition from PowerPC to Intel.

AMD processors are x86-64 just like Intel processors are. When it comes to optimization there would be some work to do, but nothing in the ballpark of the PPC-Intel transition.
Tubamajuba is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:03 AM   #25
Robert.Walter
macrumors 6502

"It is unknown why Apple has not released updated Mac mini models, as appropriate Haswell chips are readily available."

This is the new product never needing an update, the Mac Mini Mystery.

Btw, if Apple don't call the bigger iphone the iPhone Maxi, they are just stupid.
Robert.Walter is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion